PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil zip

jacko1066
29-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi guys, I am just wondering if any of you have any experience owning and or using the jetboil zip stove?

It looks like a great little stove to me that would be handy.

Seem a bit pricey though so I guess I'm asking if its worth the outlay?

Also does anyone used the aluminium cup with a meths burner? It looks like the neoprene sleeve is removable so essentially your left with an ally cup!!

I'm not against buying a 2nd hand one if anyone has one for sale!!

All the best
Steve

TreeCamper
29-08-2012, 08:41 AM
The Jetboil is a good bit of kit.

If you don't want to mess about with lighting fires,meths,alcohol etc. Its super quick clean and I have found it very reliable. It works in a gale of wind. It does not need to stand up straight and I have used it on the deck of a boat in bad weather to brew up with. If you are driving a long distance they are handy to have in the car for a quick brew.
You can even hang them up if there is no where to sit them down.

It is easy to hold while it is heating water too you can even walk with it if really necessary.

Thumbs up from me. The neoprene is a good insulator. I don't usually drink out of mine but you can. I would not be removing the neoprene and although it is a metal cup I would not want to sit it over a fire and get it dirty, it has fins on the bottom. Of course if it was a survival situation you would have no problem using it over a fire.

The hanging kit is a waste of money IMO you can simply tie a cord around the top yourself.

Hope this is of help

Tony

CanadianMike
29-08-2012, 11:49 AM
I have the Jetboil Sol, works great, light, not too big. I keep mine in my 4Runner most of the time, often to brew up a large batch of pine tea on the side of the road (to bottle up when cool), but also use it to heat up white vinegar outside to treat knife blades, keeps the smell out of the house.

Go for it, worth the money, and includes a pot/pan holder that snaps on the top to make it even more flexible.

jacko1066
30-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replys chaps, they seem like great bit of kit!!!
Iv also found a Sol ti for £85 so that mya be the way forward!!
Do any of you no if the companion cup could be used on its own with a meths burner like a normal kettle would? I think I wouldnt go as far as to use it on an open fire but my thinking is an open flame is an open flame?
I carry a Honey stove with me too which I mainly use with a Tatonka meths burner and a billy can.
It would be gret to be able to put the jetboil cup on the Honey stove too when Iv got it fired up to cook some food to save on gas!!
cheers
Steve

CanadianMike
30-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Heard the Sol Ti has the issue of the heating fins becoming unwelded after a while, not a lot of benefit for the Ti compared to the normal Sol (which is very light without fuel).

Companion cup meaning the bottom cup that protects the fins? It's plastic......... but if you are talking about the main cup, am sure you can use it with just about any heat source.

JEEP
30-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I currently own and use a Jetboil Flash, which I am very fond about. I have previously owned a Zip, but the lack of piezo ignition and the fact that the rubber lid gave off an awfull small and odor when hot, meant that I sold it on quit fast - and exchanged it for a SOL, which I had several issues with; the neoprene cozy being to thin, causing me to burn my fingers gripping the cup, the rubber handle being an excellent heat conductor, again; causing me to burn my fingers and, last but not least; the lid had a tendency to fall off while pouring boiling water through it, posing a very real risk of me pouring boiling water over my legs and groin. I returned the SOL the day after I got it, exchanging it for a Flash.

I usually bring my Jetboil on shorter hikes, fishing trips, biking, car rides - when the goal of the activity is not bushcraft in it self. When going bushy, I still prefer my Bushcooker, billycan and Vargo Decagon stove.

As to using the Jetboil cup on other heat sources; I wouldn't do it myself. Meths probably wouldn't damage it though - but I suspect using it over an open fire would cause the metal to warp over time, making it impossible to attatch the cup to the burner.

jacko1066
31-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the replys chaps, canadian mike, yes I do mean cup mate, for some reason I thought it was called the companion cup, the plastic 1 wouldnt be a lot of good on a flame lol.

Jeep, yeah I would only be using it over meths if I had finished doing some cooking on my Honey stove, that way I could use it as a conventional 'kettle' as well as on the gas stove. I wouldnt dream of putting it on an open fire!!

I have just noticed for some reason the title says JETFOIL when it should say JETBOIL lol.
If there is a kind mod lurking about I would be muc abliged if he could change it for me.

Cheers
Steve

CanadianMike
31-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Just go into the edit post, then click on Advanced, you can adjust your thread title from there. I know, I make typos too!

jacko1066
02-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks Mike, but for some reason I cant edit the original post.
There is no edit button!!
Cheers
Steve

CanadianMike
02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Really? That's odd....

barnes3126
27-09-2012, 01:59 AM
I currently own and use a Jetboil Flash, which I am very fond about. I have previously owned a Zip, but the lack of piezo ignition and the fact that the rubber lid gave off an awfull small and odor when hot, meant that I sold it on quit fast - and exchanged it for a SOL, which I had several issues with; the neoprene cozy being to thin, causing me to burn my fingers gripping the cup, the rubber handle being an excellent heat conductor, again; causing me to burn my fingers and, last but not least; the lid had a tendency to fall off while pouring boiling water through it, posing a very real risk of me pouring boiling water over my legs and groin. I returned the SOL the day after I got it, exchanging it for a Flash.

I usually bring my Jetboil on shorter hikes, fishing trips, biking, car rides - when the goal of the activity is not bushcraft in it self. When going bushy, I still prefer my Bushcooker, billycan and Vargo Decagon stove.

As to using the Jetboil cup on other heat sources; I wouldn't do it myself. Meths probably wouldn't damage it though - but I suspect using it over an open fire would cause the metal to warp over time, making it impossible to attatch the cup to the burner.

I had the same problem with the neoprene cover/handle on the SOL, I wrote to JetBoil and received a reply that they were re-engineering the cover and handle. A few weeks ago they sent the new cover. It is much improved. It does not have that thermo glow device, but I thought that was useless. The lid has stayed on mine so far, we shall see.

This is the only photo I have of the new neoprene cover/handle
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t444/barnes3126/83b2f712.jpg

JEEP
27-09-2012, 06:11 AM
That looks much better than the old cover T^

CanadianMike
27-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Agreed on the handle, is mentioned as one of the weak points on the SOL. I really don't use it except as a wrap around the back of my fingers. A reliable picking up handle it isn't!

barnes3126
03-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Sadly, in a way, I am becoming very fond of the JetBoil. It seems at this later stage in life (61 with a 3 month old hip joint) it is more enjoyable to put up with 2 minutes of the JetBoil hiss and 18 minutes sipping a brew and watching the leaves fall rather than to spend 20 minutes gathering wood and waiting on a fire. So does old age make us wiser or lazier?