PDA

View Full Version : Acorn coffee

paulthefish2009
27-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Gathered my first acorns of the year today and just made some coffee with them,lovely woody choclaty smell. Just wondered if anyone has made a big batch and stored it? I quite like the taste but just wondered if it would keep? paul

rosseveritt
27-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds interesting, got a recipe or suchlike for that? If you do would love to try it. :)

paulthefish2009
27-08-2012, 07:17 PM
easy mate,take your acorns,green ones,take the cap of the bottom of them then cut them into quarters.Roast in the oven until light brown then grind them nice and fine,a quick second roast until mid/dark brown and there you go,just use like normal ground coffee.
You may need to play around with the second roast until you find the taste you like,again just like regular ground coffee,try it. Paul

rosseveritt
27-08-2012, 07:20 PM
easy mate,take your acorns,green ones,take the cap of the bottom of them then cut them into quarters.Roast in the oven until light brown then grind them nice and fine,a quick second roast until mid/dark brown and there you go,just use like normal ground coffee.
You may need to play around with the second roast until you find the taste you like,again just like regular ground coffee,try it. Paul

Thx for that Paul. You're a star. :)

paulthefish2009
27-08-2012, 07:21 PM
T^

AdrianRose
27-08-2012, 07:29 PM
It stores really well in an air tight jar/plastic clip top box.

I've made it every year for the last 4 years and the first years batch tastes just as good today as it did four years ago.

Ade.

rosseveritt
27-08-2012, 07:30 PM
It stores really well in an air tight jar/plastic clip top box.

I've made it every year for the last 4 years and the first years batch tastes just as good today as it did four years ago.

Ade.

Thx for that, sounds like a foraging mission for me soon. :)

Psycho
28-08-2012, 07:56 PM

Sounds interesting! Thanks for the "recipe" =)

paulthefish2009
28-08-2012, 08:25 PM
No worrys,it's one of those things you will either love or hate,personaly I like the sort of woody,slightly bitter taste.As I said to my nose it does have a faint choclate smell. Paul

Psycho
29-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Hey Paul!
I have a question, because you said, that you use green acorns.
I have heard, that the green ones have too much tannin and that you will get healthy problems by using that ones.
So, don't you have any problems by using the fresh acorns?

Here is the video where I have heard it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgS-kepKDUY&feature=plcp

He has also a video where he is making some acorn coffee, but he always uses fallen (older) acorns.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07RzUapMq24&feature=plcp )

paulthefish2009
29-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I use green ones,admitadly I don't drink gallons of the stuff so i can't comment about health problems. I got the "recipe",if you can call it that from "food for free" by Richard Maby. Just read that some recipes call for you to boil them for 20 mins first then shell them before chopping and roasting but I never have. any thoughts anyone? Am I infact slowly poisioning my self?:confused2: paul

AdrianRose
29-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I have always used brown, wind fallen ones off the floor.

I roast them lightly for a little while in the oven then crack them all open. Then after being roughly copped, I throw them in a sauce pan on the hob, over a medium heat and gently bash them with a wooden spoon or the butt end of a rolling pin.

Remove from the heat every so often as you don't want them getting too hot. Continue bashing/crushing/heating till they are a fairly fine powder. Once they are a fine powder keep on the heat stirring all the time until the mixture dries out. The drier the better.

This method works just as well being done in a crusader cup over a camp fire.

Hope this helps.

Ade

ANGOF
31-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I have always used brown, wind fallen ones off the floor.

I roast them lightly for a little while in the oven then crack them all open. Then after being roughly copped, I throw them in a sauce pan on the hob, over a medium heat and gently bash them with a wooden spoon or the butt end of a rolling pin.

Remove from the heat every so often as you don't want them getting too hot. Continue bashing/crushing/heating till they are a fairly fine powder. Once they are a fine powder keep on the heat stirring all the time until the mixture dries out. The drier the better.

This method works just as well being done in a crusader cup over a camp fire.

Hope this helps.

Ade

Roll on autumn, Thanks for nice clear instructions Ade. I`ll deffo being giving this a try.

AdrianRose
31-08-2012, 07:36 PM
No worries mate.

Ade.