PDA

View Full Version : Tatonka Stainless Steel Alcohol/Meths Stove

Ashley Cawley
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Well I got one of these for crimbo, fits perfectly with my honey-stove in two different configurations:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418GskF4YbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I had heard that these stoves could burn for quite a long time so I thought I'd give it a test in the shed today.

Filled right up with meths the stove burnt for 1hr 17mins & 34 seconds! Was dead impressed and it got me thinking this might not just appeal to outdoor folk; but it worked bloody well as a shed-heater as well!

The stove doesn't burn as fierce as a pop-can stove or 'the white box stove' so hence why it burns for longer, because it has a smaller, steady flame.

This stove will definitely benefit from a wind-shield when used outdoors to help the performance of that smaller, steady flame. But other than that, so far so good!

Looking forward to giving it further testing, I'll keep you updated and feel free to share your experiences with this stove.

JEEP
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Have you noticed how it primes a lot faster than the Trangia?

Fletching
02-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi Ashley & JEEP,

I bought one of those a couple of months ago but have never let it burn all the way out. I'm also well impressed and got a boil time in a Kelly Kettle of just over 11 mins and with an M-Kettle of about 13 mins (don't know why the M took longer, as with wood it's a little faster!). Best feature IMHO is the fact that it comes with a screw cap, so unlike the Trangia you can save meths/alcohol. It also fits neatly into both the KK and M-K for transport.

And yes, it does prime faster (under the armpit for a bit helps!).

Five stars from me!

Steve

Fletching
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
...BTW, if you get the optional Tatonka stand (a ring with insert holes and 3 x 'G' shaped supports), the ring alone will lift the stove just enough inside the base of an M-Kettle to avoid any wind turbulence - a problem I noted with the KK in a high wind (still worked though!).

Steve

JEEP
02-01-2011, 07:19 PM
All Trangias I have ever seen, including the three I have myself, comes with a screw cap. Is there a version without?

The Trangia and Tatonka burners are, essentially, of the same construction. The only diffrences are the size (the Tatonka has a bigger capacity, but the same diameter as the Trangia), the material (the Trangia is made of brass and the Tatonka is stainless steel) and the fact that the simmering ring on the Tatonka is equipped with holes on the side, making it more suitable for actually simmering food.

Fletching
02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi JEEP,

My mistake. Meant Vargo not Trangia. My bad. ;)

...so much kit to play with. Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Steve

JEEP
02-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I figured it was something along that line :)

I am actually considering a Vargo Decagon to fit in my new bushcooker. Is it any good?

Just googled the M-Kettle; it looks quite interesting, like a space age Kelly Kettle. Any chance of a review?

Martin
02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Jakob, I have been using a pop can stove with great results in my Bushbuddy cooker. I reckon the Decagon stove would be a nice piece of kit for it. I'd be really interested to see how you get on with it if you go for it.

Sometimes, all you want is a quick brew and the 'hassle' of finding dry wood to fire up the bushbuddy is a pain. That's when the meths burner comes in very handy. On the other hand, on my walk yesterday, I collected a pocket full of dry sticks in five minutes and had the kettle boiling ten minutes or so later so it's no real hassle I guess.

Martin

Fletching
03-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi Jakob,

M-Kettle, yes, I'm impressed so far but I haven't taken it out on a field trip yet. It's much smaller than the KK even though it only holds about 100ml less water. I'll start a thread on the M-K v KK over the next few days. It will have to be just pics though as I don't have a video camera at the moment (don't lend to friends over Christmas etc...!).

Steve

JEEP
03-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Martin; Will do.

Fletching; Excellent, I'll look forward to that :)

Ashley Cawley
04-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Fletching; Excellent, I'll look forward to that :)
Ditto, Thanks for sharing.

Martin
08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Just made myself a very simple 'penny stove' to put in the Bushbuddy Cooker. My word!!! What an efficient little system that is now. less than 30ml of meths brought 0.5 litres of water to a rolling boil for several minutes (I lost count of the time :ashamed:)

Now, admittedly, that was in my nice warm kitchen with no wind but nevertheless it was amazingly efficient. I will do my best to do a video of it tomorrow. May take it out with me on my walk tomorrow.

Martin

Shewie
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
A great stove, fits in nicely with a number of my brew kits. Works very well in the Bushbuddy too.

robin
10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I love my Tatonka and never go on a trip without it or my dog food tin hobo stove.

Here is my cook kit packed:
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/Hobo%20and%20Tatonka/DSCF0008.jpg

Here is my cook kit unpacked:
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/Hobo%20and%20Tatonka/DSCF0003.jpg

I can use the U-shaped wires in three different places. Pushed through the lower air holes I can place the metal disc (dog food tin lid with holes) inside and it lifts my wood fire up off the bottom of the stove which creates good airflow underneath.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/Hobo%20and%20Tatonka/DSCF0005.jpg

The second U-shaped wire sits on top to either balance my Crusader Cup or for holding skewered sausages above the fire.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/Hobo%20and%20Tatonka/DSCF0007.jpg

If I place a U-shaped wire through holes half way up the stove and place the metal disc on it I can put my Tatonka inside the stove which now acts as a wind shield.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/Hobo%20and%20Tatonka/DSCF0006.jpg

I always used the Tatonka lid to extinguish the burner and had no problem until recently. After using the burner for about 3/4 hour it was so hot that the rubber o-ring inside the lid melted and burst into flames. Never had a problem on shorter burn times and must remember in future to remove the o-ring before extinguishing the flame, oops!

robin

Realbark
15-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Dont extinguish using the inside of the lid (o ring side) - use the cap UPSIDE DOWN - it will still extinguish the cooker. Simples. :)

Fletching
15-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I tried to put mine out the other day with the lid upside down and the 'O' ring still caught fire and expanded. It was inside my hobo, so probably got the angle wrong. I know it's unusual, but I didn't have pliers handy and the pot grips were a bit too late at this point. Replacement ring now sought.

Moral - careful with the burner inside a hobo when extinguishing it.

Steve

paul standley
15-01-2011, 07:38 PM
A question or two for Tatonka users - I'm looking to get one.

Is it a bit of a slow burner (low heat output) ?

has anyone tried placing a small wick inside the fuel chamber to improve the heat output (when/if required) ?

Cheers, Paul.

Mang
15-01-2011, 07:49 PM
fits perfectly with my honey-stove in two different configurations:

It's like they were made for each other.

got a boil time in a Kelly Kettle of just over 11 mins

Never thought of using it with a KK!

the rubber o-ring inside the lid melted and burst into flames. robin

the 'O' ring still caught fire and expanded. Steve

Thought I was the only one to suffer this fate. I didn't actually have it on that long either...I got sent a replacement O ring form Lakeland Bushcraft (in the Lake District) where I purchased it from-Top service.

JEEP
15-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I have gotten the stainless steel simmer ring, that you can get for the Tatonka burner, it does a nice job of putting out the flame. A bit irritating imho. that it just doesn't come with the burner though (it does when you buy the Multiset). Imho the simmer ring is not an accessory it is a part of the burner - and should as such come with the burner.

Paul Webster
15-01-2011, 09:53 PM
When the simmer ring sits on top...is that it? Or do you have to adjust the 'lid' position to adjust the flame?

JEEP
15-01-2011, 10:29 PM
You just put the closed simmer ring on top of the burner to extinguish the flame.

Realbark
15-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I tried to put mine out the other day with the lid upside down and the 'O' ring still caught fire and expanded. It was inside my hobo, so probably got the angle wrong. I know it's unusual, but I didn't have pliers handy and the pot grips were a bit too late at this point. Replacement ring now sought.

Moral - careful with the burner inside a hobo when extinguishing it.

Steve

I have never used the tatonka with a hobo stove - merely the tatanka burner stand (which i rate) and a stand-alone windshield ( i think its a Highlander or similar). I use the upside down lid as a put out method and have not so far experienced your problem. The tatonka is in my daybag ( a sidepack) because it packs up so small (including the stand/adjuster) but i dont often stop for a brew up - just a smoke and some water. I use a tatonka mug with this and carry a swedish folding cup too - it all fits nicely in the mug including the additional meths.

robin
19-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Dont extinguish using the inside of the lid (o ring side) - use the cap UPSIDE DOWN - it will still extinguish the cooker. Simples. :)

I did use it upside down but it still caught fire :campfire: As I tried to rescue the lid I knocked my hobo over and sent burning meths all over the grass, luckily I was on private land and did no damage but it was a lesson learned about being more careful with meths.

I have gotten the stainless steel simmer ring, that you can get for the Tatonka burner, it does a nice job of putting out the flame. A bit irritating imho. that it just doesn't come with the burner though (it does when you buy the Multiset). Imho the simmer ring is not an accessory it is a part of the burner - and should as such come with the burner.

Thanks JEEP I hadn't thought of doing that. I did buy the simmer ring and the stand but I never use the simmer ring so I tend to leave it behind, but I think for the low weight I should pack it and start to use it as the extinguisher.

...I got sent a replacement O ring form Lakeland Bushcraft (in the Lake District) where I purchased it from-Top service.

Thanks Mang, I didn't realise that they sold replacement O rings at Lakeland Bushcraft it was from them that I bought my Tatonka.

Mang
19-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks Mang, I didn't realise that they sold replacement O rings at Lakeland Bushcraft it was from them that I bought my Tatonka.

Not sure if they sell them as they sent me one when a sent an enquiring email, hence the top service bit. I'm off to the Lakes this summer so I may swing by and see if I can get some more...but it won't happen again of course!

maxinpains
26-01-2011, 10:03 PM
i don't like alcohol stove... it's just bulky...but this Vargo stove can use woods from the fields... it's free... & it is genius design... I love this ...my new Vargo stove...Two thumbs up

Ashley Cawley
27-01-2011, 05:34 AM
i don't like alcohol stove... it's just bulky...but this Vargo stove can use woods from the fields... it's free... & it is genius design... I love this ...my new Vargo stove...Two thumbs up
Alcohol stove's aren't bulky; pop-can stove or a white-box stoves are tiny and extremely lightweight.

Care to share more about your Vargo stove?

Realbark
27-01-2011, 07:22 PM
As in my "what have you bought now" reply my second Tatonka turned up today. I have stuck some stove rope around it as im going to use it freestanding in my hobo and relegate my old trangia to the odds n sods shelf in my garage. After filling the tatonka, soaking the stove rope and primer shelf with some carefully poured meths i had a rolling boil (in the garage to be fair) in about 6 minutes with 375ml (cup size) of tap water - and its cold here tonight. To be honest a few minutes here or there of boil time on any stove shouldnt be a problem - cos if you have time to stop and brew then you have time to wait. I do like the Tatonka cos its a nice looking piece of kit and has a massive meths capacity. I havent yet tried but i will do a full fill burn over the next few days outside - maybe it wont need any additional meths (bar the primer soak) to do a brew and a heat up of grub in one go.

paul standley
27-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Alcohol stove's aren't bulky; pop-can stove or a white-box stoves are tiny and extremely lightweight.

Could be the Vargo titanium folding hexagonal wood stove, looks like a nice simple and effective stove - I can feel a clone coming on...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHrE8nb0P4&feature=related

Paul.

maxinpains
28-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Sure! Ashley Cawley! How are you today, M8?

Yes,I do Own a Vargo Hexagon titanium wood stove.

Pro's are.....

It's folds flat, Light, & Rust free....

One genius design.....& Very Stable on the ground. It is actually a COPY from the real originator....( It is a inside Joke..) LOL)

Uses both alcohol,fondue type fuel cans,meth & yes the wood twigs for the fuels. so in a case, you runs out of alcohol fuels you still have hope of back up plan B & it's free.... . there no fuel shops around your camping areas...that's mostly the case...LOL

I have can hobo stoves...like everybody eless here & foldable military meth stoves too. But this thing dose still takes spaces in my bag & rusts easy.
So I feel great. I can add something eles in my bag instead.

Take it out from the bag.. Zip! Plop! then now you are ready to ignite the fire!

It takes Just a Second!!!

Now you are ready for the Controled fire & for the enviroments & no worries of causing terrible Forrest fires. Oh my! LOL

Cleaning is easy as breeze .

Clean burnt Ashes now ready to goes back to the the grounds for plants nutrients.....Ahhhh.... the cycle of life...(Father.... Dad!!!! ! I was a stupid son....)

Con's are ....Besides the ingenious design of all .....It is bit pricy...for just a titanium metal container....LOL& The quality from the factory country isn't that great. the materials of it are great though...

but, You can see many little flaws here & there ....

Yes...It is Made in China....sigh.... That's why...

It should have made in Japan , UK , or US....? it won't have that head aches...

Just take a look at "Snow peaks"'s titanium cook wares!

It's totally flawless! because those are "made in Japan" They are always top notch. they makes everything like fine Jewries with responsibilty ..

ahhhh! They are smarter & better ....lol

So far I've got any problems beside the qualities with my Vargo stove & with some touch ups by myself It serves me great so far like a good trusted old friends grinning with winning smiles at night...lol or old girl friends with her someones big fat genetically modified foods laden babies welcoming you with her big ol' flap door with little cute fire inside...makes me great smiles & makes me shout "actually , I'm an One luckiest bustard who left her !!!" ....LMAO!!

Yes, I can recommended to anybody who needs convenient stove like this one. This wood stove is suitable & perfect for one person, solo adventure trips. If you need expandable foldable stove you can check out "honey stove" it is an another wonderful stove too.
Thank you for reading & Have a wonderful camping life !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1FNmAWOoY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDOE1haJfb8&feature=player_embedded#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1FNmAWOoY&feature=related

paul standley
29-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I do like the look of this Vargo Hex stove, there are now lots of vids on You Tube about it, check them out.

Realbark
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Ive been playing about with the Tatonka and Tatonka burner stand. The stand which the burner sits in is well made but fiddly as the 3 legs have a tendency to fall out or be a bit loose when assembling the unit. As well as this niggle the assembled stand is not quite big enough to steadily balance a Tatonka folding handle mug - it is literally an unsafe balancing act, tho fine for larger pots etc. However by GENTLY bending the support inserts to make them effectively slighly banana shaped the stand becomes stable AND with a slight additional bend on the arms the whole kit sits firm, secure and provides a stable base for the cup. Sorted.

Paul Webster
11-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I've been sitting mine inside a bush buddy and using that as the pot stand, seems to be a good windshield too

robin
11-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Realbark, I did the same with my legs to fit my crusader cup on. I was lucky as I bet them just right so the the cup sits in the notches and became a lot more stable. I've now given up on the legs though as I went and bought a Honey Stove which like Paul's bush buddy acts as a great wind shield for the Tatonka and supports any cup or pan I choose to take with me. I agree with you on the problem of the legs continually falling out, it was a pain.
Oh how I love my Tatonka.... my shiny, shiny Tatonka.... and now a shiny, shiny Honey Stove! :D

paul standley
25-02-2011, 07:49 PM
So I bought one of these Tatonka burners this week. I'm a big fan of penny stoves but having read the reviews here and on the web I decided to buy one.

Tried it yesterday and it's good build quality etc BUT... I can't get a good seal on the lid and so if i turn it upside down or on it's side, it leaks fuel a little.

Is this a common thing, does the seal 'bed in' with time ? or is it that i have a duff one...?

Have not put the seal anywhere near the burner when hot so I know i haven't distorted the "O" ring seal...

Paul

JEEP
25-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I have never had that problem with mine. If I were you, I would hand it in for a replacement.

Paul Webster
25-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I had exactly the same issue with mine initially. I noticed at first that the screw between the cap and base wasn't knitting properly, but after a few firm twists of making sure it went on straight it seems fine. I think also once the o ring had softened slightly it formed a better seal.

Realbark
26-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Yep - tighten up then an extra nip should seal it.

paul standley
26-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Cheers all, I'll give the top a few turns on and off to bed it in because it did feel like it wasn't screwing well on the threads to start with and then if that doesn't do it I'll return it.

Iamnoone
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
That's interesting that yours should leak too Paul. I bought a Tatonka about a month ago because they seemed to have good reviews. Unfortunately it leaked so badly I sent it back. We're not talking about a bit of seepage here, the meths just came streaming out if you turned it over despite the seal appearing to be in good condition. Probably should have gone for the good old tried and tested, no nonsense Trangia in the first place???

paul standley
03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
It was going to be a pain for me to send mine back and since it wasn't expensive, around £6.50, i decided to apply a tempory fix which works well actually if anyone has similar issues with Tatonka or Trangia burners.... I simply made a second seal ring ('o' ring) out of a piece of 3mm diameter bungi-cord with the fabric woven sleeve taken off and two ends of the bugi rubber glued with superglue. Took the original seal out, inserted home made seal into lid then put original seal ring back in on top of it and the extra 'cushion' of the home made ring lowers the seal height in the lid and hey-presto the leak is no more.

Ironically, was going for a trangia but got swayed towards tatonka because of fuel capacity but anyway, it's sorted for now.

Paul