PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult place to wild camp in the UK?

Law
27-08-2012, 11:08 AM
In terms of terrain, navigation, size, risk, distance from civilization etc.. What are your thoughts?

I would say Snowdonia. I would like to go solo camping there one day but am a little inexperienced for that atm.

comanighttrain
27-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Central Highlands I think... on a misty day if you get your nav slightly wrong, perhaps not paying attention to the compass you can find yourself with an arduous walk back up a mountainside to try and get to the right place

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/461215_10151669708120058_346146682_o.jpg

JonnyP
27-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, defiantly Up in Scotland somewhere.

Ashley Cawley
27-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Quality sign! Stating what should be obvious but sadly needed.

TreeCamper
27-08-2012, 11:39 AM
I wonder if my Hammock would be ok here ;) 5290

FishyFolk
27-08-2012, 11:54 AM

I bet the muggles leave them alone...

Silverback
27-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Knoydart,or the northern highlands mind you plenty of people can and do get lost or benighted in the dark peak

comanighttrain
27-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Knoydart,or the northern highlands mind you plenty of people can and do get lost or benighted in the dark peak

Knoydart...access way for one of the munro's I need to get... that's going to be fun!

AL...
27-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Ye wouldent want to get up for a pee through the night thats for sure !! :confused:

Cheers
AL

Silverback
27-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Knoydart...access way for one of the munro's I need to get... that's going to be fun!

Cape Wrath Trail is on my bucket list.....maybe as a treat for my 50th

cuppa joe
27-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Ughh makes me feel sick just looking at it ha ha and I used to put lightening conductors on church steeples and such.

jbrown14
27-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Bivvy ledges! Cool! Reason # 3 on my list of "Why I will never climb a big wall..."

Josh

AdrianRose
27-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Most difficult place in the world to camp....

My lounge,

coz the second I get my bushcrafting gear out in the house my wife starts looking daggers at me and nags until I can't stand it anymore and pack away again.

Ade.

comanighttrain
27-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Ahh yes..I am attracted to that but I'm going to get a little more experience first! Met a chap who had done it, he said it was unique!

Silverback
27-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Most difficult place in the world to camp.....

Central London ?

Silverback
27-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Ahh yes..I am attracted to that but I'm going to get a little more experience first! Met a chap who had done it, he said it was unique!

I know someone who has done it too, said it was 'tough'

JonnyP
27-08-2012, 05:56 PM

I am doing it next year hopefully :0)
Its been on my to do list for many years now http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8916&highlight=cape+wrath+trail

paulthefish2009
27-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Bivvy ledges! Cool! Reason # 3 on my list of "Why I will never climb a big wall..."

Josh

With you on that one Josh.Paul

biker-bri
28-08-2012, 04:49 PM
In terms of terrain, navigation, size, risk, distance from civilization etc.. What are your thoughts?

I would say Snowdonia. I would like to go solo camping there one day but am a little inexperienced for that atm.

Plenty of places for wild camping in Snowdoina, on a quiet day of the week I have slept out on the summit of Snowdon itself - the unwritten rules are similar to the lake district, above the last dry stone wall / out of sight of cars / don't leave any trace.
Cheers bri

Jd33
31-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Is there a website that shows wild camping sites at all ??

SimonB
31-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Most difficult place in the world to camp....

My lounge,

coz the second I get my bushcrafting gear out in the house my wife starts looking daggers at me and nags until I can't stand it anymore and pack away again.

Ade.

Ain't that the truth............. I only have to open my toy cupboard, and she who must be obeyed switches into nag mode....

biker-bri
31-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Is there a website that shows wild camping sites at all ??
The answer is quite simply no, as wild camping in England & Wales is illegal

Humakt
31-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Wild camping on the A20/M20 roundabout at Wrotham Heath would be a real sod.

Silverback
31-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Salisbury Plain ?

SimonB
31-08-2012, 04:11 PM
I was talking to a lad from Edale MRT recently about a sponsored walk I am doing in october for my St John Ambulance unit,walking the first leg of the pennine way, and asked if there would be any problems if we had to stop out on the tops overnight, as I have issues with my knees.He said there wouldn't be any problems, as they go out overnight sometimes, and have done so in the middle of winter for an overnight freezer.... I suppose it wouldn't hurt asking the local NT or local MRT about where you can pitch camp... If they say yes, you have a place to practice your craft, if they say no, do it and make sure you don't get caught.. ONLY JOKING !! I can't condone breaking laws, civil or otherwise...

Silverback
31-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Its worth remembering that even MRT's need permission to access land for training and exercises, and cannot give permission (unless of course they own the land you're going to camp on). If you are benighted then any organisation would understand that you were pitching camp as part of an unplanned event.

I have it on reasonably good authority that the National Trust is allowing wild camping on some of its property nationwide so contacting them would be a good idea.

MRT's are a service staffed by volunteers for use in emergencies and do not and (unless an off duty police officer) cannot in anyway enforce the law, statute or civil.

wild camping in England & Wales is illegal

Above 600m in the Lakes is generally accepted as OK

Martin
31-08-2012, 06:33 PM
The answer is quite simply no, as wild camping in England & Wales is illegal

Strictly speaking, not true. Unauthorised entry onto private property is trespass which isn't necessarily illegal as it's a civil matter. (There is the prospect of criminal trespass but that's a very narrowly defined criminal offence and mainly only applies to designated areas).

Wild camping on large areas of Dartmoor is positively encouraged. There are over 200 square miles of Dartmoor that are suitable for wild camping and the National Park Authority actively encourage this through their website.

Also, like Wayne says, wild camping in remote, highland areas is also considered acceptable.

Get out there and enjoy it!! :)

Martin

biker-bri
31-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Strictly speaking, not true. Unauthorised entry onto private property is trespass which isn't necessarily illegal as it's a civil matter. (There is the prospect of criminal trespass but that's a very narrowly defined criminal offence and mainly only applies to designated areas).

Wild camping on large areas of Dartmoor is positively encouraged. There are over 200 square miles of Dartmoor that are suitable for wild camping and the National Park Authority actively encourage this through their website.

Also, like Wayne says, wild camping in remote, highland areas is also considered acceptable.

Get out there and enjoy it!! :)

Martin
Thanks Martin, I always understood that it was illegal well you learn something new every day. cheers Bri