PDA

View Full Version : Is a 32 litre rucksack good enough for a few days camping?

Law
25-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Or is there a 'veteran standard' for what the minimum rucksack capacity should be?

I know this will depend on the individual, but what is everyone's current rucksack capacity? (in litres)

FishyFolk
25-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Or is there a 'veteran standard' for what the minimum rucksack capacity should be?

I know this will depend on the individual, but what is everyone's current rucksack capacity? (in litres)

A 30 litre pack I would consider a daypack. It would not even hold my sleeping bagand bivvi bag, let allone a tent, sleeping mat, food, water, cooking gear, first aid kit, a dry change of clothes, extra fleece or wool pullover, hat, 2-3 pairs of dry socks (wool), personal hygiene, something to read (I get bored to death when I am outdoors), fishing kit, axe, knife, navigation, fuel for stove, fire kit, and propably fishin gear and rain gear..

For an outing where I spend the night I would use my 80 litre Bergen. That way I am sure I can stuff everything into a
one convenient pack to carry.

But then perhaps you plan to go super light with only the most minimal of bare essentials. So what are you planning to carry?

FishyFolk
25-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Also try and pack your bag with everything you think you need. Then take a walk around the block with it. If it's comfortable, then it will probably be okay...if not, get a bigger one.

comanighttrain
25-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Down to the individual...currently trying to put together a 30L kit and its quite challenging!

I can fit everything for about 3 days into 40L (ish - its a military style sack with a floating lid) fairly easily.

What's to go in?

Law
25-08-2012, 09:57 PM
1 man tent
sleeping bag
6 cans baked beans
6 maltloafs
6 100g packs of nuts
1 large sandwich box
first aid kit
3 pairs socks
2 1.5 litre bottles of water
2 spare shirts.

Thats really the bulk of it. I wont be taking a stove. Canned food is fine as it is straight from the can.

jus_young
25-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I use a 46L and wouldn't really look at going any smaller than that. This gives me enough room for a few days out.

Reaps72
25-08-2012, 10:54 PM
I use a 46L and wouldn't really look at going any smaller than that. This gives me enough room for a few days out.

I too go around this size, 48ltr Berghaus & I kip in a 3 man tent, but I still would recommend different food option, as cans are heavier to carry & will be a pain to carry back too!
If your insistent on cold beans to eat consider pouches or those snap pots. The weight soon adds up & after a few hours with it on your back you'll soon be thinking about what can reduce weight!

Shewie
25-08-2012, 11:05 PM
You can't really give a figure as everyone carries different kit, you could be in the lightweight brigade and comfortably manage a couple of nights with no more than 15L. I like to hammock camp if possible so usually end up around 30-40L for a 2 season trip, once it starts getting cold my bedding gets bulkier so I carry a 50L pack.

I'd tend to think more about the weight than the volume

moontanboy
26-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I always use a 65 ltr pack as it's the biggest and best pack that I curently own. I can fit everything I would need for 1/2 nights away depending on whether I take my camera gear or not (DSLR Tripod). But always have the option to strap my Lowepro camera bag to my pack under a side pocket. I've hiked reasonably comfortably upto 16/20 miles with this on my back with no issues. My pack is a MILCOM 65 bought from 'Andy's Military Surplus' in Portsmouth, it has an internal frame, 2 side pockets and a drawcord divider inside with separate boot/lower pocket. Think this pack cost about £45 this winter and it's very comfortable.

comanighttrain
26-08-2012, 06:51 PM
1 man tent
sleeping bag
6 cans baked beans
6 maltloafs
6 100g packs of nuts
1 large sandwich box
first aid kit
3 pairs socks
2 1.5 litre bottles of water
2 spare shirts.

Thats really the bulk of it. I wont be taking a stove. Canned food is fine as it is straight from the can.

uhhh...hmmm... I don't think so dude...

40+ I reckon.

Also no sleeping mat? is that intentional?

Mountain Goat
19-01-2013, 08:16 PM
36l is fine if you know yer stuff and WANT TO BE UNCOMFORTABLE. If your bringing a tent, sleeping bag, clothes, anything else etc, get a bigger rucksack

Old Guard
19-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I think that comfort needs to be considered, once you are out there it's too late to *wish* you had included something.

We go outdoors to enjoy ourselves, so include a few *luxury* items.

My pack is 60lt (but it's not compulsory to fill it to bursting)

Tigger004
19-01-2013, 08:38 PM
My pack is 60lt (but it's not compulsory to fill it to bursting)

I have good intensions not to fill my pack but I usually end up filling it, for those just incase moments, I might look like a pack horse but a good nights sleep is essential if it's much more than 1 night,
Like Old Guard says "we go to enjoy ourselves"

Old Guard
19-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I always assemble my kit away from the rucksack, so I just concentrate on what I need. The sack only comes into play when I am finished... this way, I don't just keep packing simply because there is space. (works for me :o)

Tigger004
20-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I always assemble my kit away from the rucksack, so I just concentrate on what I need. The sack only comes into play when I am finished... this way, I don't just keep packing simply because there is space. (works for me :o)

so simple I couldn't see the wood for the trees...lol that's my new method...good on yer

bkemeny
21-01-2013, 08:20 AM
I usually use a 60l rucksack for a 3 days - 7 days trip, but I do sometimes use my 30l Hungarian military surplus rucksack (dead cheap stuff, costs around 4 pounds) as a budget bushcraft late spring/summer 3 days kit. Includes: Hungarian military surplus tarp/poncho, wool blanket, a large plastic sheet as a moisture barrier on the ground, sleeping mat, billy can, water bottle, esbit stove filled with hexi blocks, two woolen socks, spare shirt, spare sweater, map, compass, bandana, ducttape, sewing kit, paracord, small first aid kit, headlamp, lighter, matches, ferro rod, some canned food, some oatmeal, some chocolate, hygiene kit: toilet paper roll, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, small comb and your favourite bushcraft knife on your belt/hanging from your neck