PDA

View Full Version : Jsut found out I saved a bundle on a cook set

FishyFolk
25-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Slowly I have put together a cook set, and including shipping I paid less than 20$ for it.
I bought the parts separately.

These are a solo 16oz hard anodized aluminum pot with a lid that can be used as a mini frying pan, or an eating bowl.
And a no-brand name butane burner. Just tested it and it has a cup of water at a rolling boil in 1 minute, 30 seconds! (in the shed)

Then I found out just know that Optimus makes a set they call the "Optimus Crux Weekend HE Cook System"...that contains a very similar pot, and a small burner.
It costs 60$ from Amazon...

Happy smiles from me, and the nay sayers have not won until mine breaks :-)

Anyway, i won't use the burner...much. Thats just for when I am too lazy to use the meths burner. I like to have time for a few camp chores while my brew
or lunch gets heated up...and the bulk of the butane canister is wasted space that could be used for tea, sugar, soups, salt and pepper...but nice to have.
Specially later when I'll be going out with an impatient little runt who wants his hot chockolate reward for hiking just a little further...

FishyFolk
25-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I bought this stuff on a certain auction site, so if anyone wants to test this, I can give you some links in a PM....

I, nor Natural Bushcraft have any affiliation with that auction site or the seller of the products...just want to help out.

SimonB
25-08-2012, 09:27 PM
A bargain is a bargain my friend......

Got much of my stuff from the well known auction site, having to because I got rid of it all over a decade ago due to ill health.
I agree about butane stove taking up a fair bit of room, especially the caniters, And in cold weather they are rather sluggish to say the least.

I recently bought an aluminium cook set from a local store, to add to the army style mess tins,that had a kettle with it, as my old faithful of 25 years has finally been retired.

At the end of the day, if it is cheap, and fit for purpose, it doesn't matter where it comes from.........

I hope the kit you bought serves you well...

Regards,

Si.

FishyFolk
26-08-2012, 05:58 AM
I hope the kit you bought serves you well...

Si.

The cook set will probably serbve me a life-time. The butane burner....to many things that can go mecanically wrong. But then I have the flexi-fuel burner that also take butane, and that one has served me weel for more than a decade in all sorts of conditions. And in cold weather, I can use parafine in that one as well...

So thats not a problem...

On ordring stuff from china...thats hwere 99% of the stuff is amde anyway. The big brands just buy it in bulk, slap their logo on it and sell it at their fantasy prices.

Kernowek Scouser
26-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Never knock a bargain. Sounds like you've sorted yourself out with a cookset that is suited to your needs.

Fair play T^