PDA

View Full Version : A proper bit of thatched shelter building.

fish
24-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Having been watching old Ray mears on you tube with the kids we were enthused to go make a weather proof shelter,i plan an open 3 sided afair with fire in the middle,today we completed 1/3 of it and a proper job we did too,as we finished this section it bucketed down with rain and there were no leaks at all in the thatch,tommorow we will try to complete it with a view to sleeping out in it .

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC03083.jpg

after a nice brew up with the golf ball the rain had died down enogh to make our way home where a fire was waiting and a nice hot pot in the oven.

comanighttrain
24-08-2012, 03:31 PM
wow very nice!!!

AL...
24-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Whats the rent like? I want to move in lol
Great work Fish

Cheers
AL

FishyFolk
24-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Nice clan you have there. And good job on the shelter too :-)

Been playing with getting one up in the local woods, just need a secluded spot that will be easy to get to in the winter, or it won't be used once the snow falls from october....

JonnyP
24-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Looks a good pitch you got on that roof.
It did rain some today eh..

fish
24-08-2012, 09:13 PM
thanks guys,i am hoping this can be a bug out base that we can go to whenever we want/need to,its in a good secluded spot ,i may plant rhodadendrons round it .

JonnyP
24-08-2012, 09:29 PM
thanks guys,i am hoping this can be a bug out base that we can go to whenever we want/need to,its in a good secluded spot ,i may plant rhodadendrons round it .

Is the shelter ok under that beech. I can't tell wether its a big beech or not.

fish
24-08-2012, 09:34 PM
tis a beech aka the widow maker,it looks sound to me and isnt as old as the dangerous ones in that forest,i havent ever heard of anyone being killed by one or having a near miss,i wont be under it in any storms though!

happybonzo
25-08-2012, 07:50 AM
i may plant rhodadendrons round it .

Please, please - anything other than Rhodies :( I've just had to spend a heck of a lot of money on machinery and chemicals getting rid of the Victorians thought was "nice"

fish
25-08-2012, 08:57 AM
theyre everywhere there allready,i suppose i could plant jerusalem artichokes.....

jus_young
25-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Please, please - anything other than Rhodies :( I've just had to spend a heck of a lot of money on machinery and chemicals getting rid of the Victorians thought was "nice"

T^

Another anti Rhodie. It saddens me to see the the amount of woodland around here that has been taken over by this species. Even when volunteers spend weeks trying to clear it and rejuvinate an area, its not long before its back.