PDA

View Full Version : Tarps

swkieran
02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
just been looking on ebay and theres so much to choose from different styles sizes etc,what would be the best one to go for any help

Martin
02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
The DD Hammocks 3m x 3m tarp. Perfect for all your needs. Don't be tempted to buy the XL which, at 4.5m x 3m, is too big for most normal applications; in fact it's too big to string between trees as the trees are normally closer together than that.

Martin

Fletching
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I agree with Martin, the small one's big enough. The large one's good for a group shelter. Look at ponchos as well. Decent ones can be used as a tarp as well as being worn.

Steve

comanighttrain
02-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I also have the 3 x 3. Very happy with it

swkieran
02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
thanks guys ive jotted that down

jack_in_the_green
04-01-2011, 07:15 PM
british army issue dpm shelter sheet, comes in woodland dpm and desert dpm. strong, simple, cheap, reliable. can also be used as an emergency stretcher. paid a fiver for mine from car boot years ago, never had a problem with it. material is a bit noisy but its 100% waterproof and even comes with its own little stuff sack... what's not to like?

Ashley Cawley
04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I would agree with Martin & Steve, don't be tempted to get any bigger than 3x3m (if your relatively new to tarps). I would also recommend either a DD Tarp or a Tatonka Polycotton Tarp.

If you did end up getting a large Tarp later on for group shelters go with a cheap builders Tarp.

Metal mug
04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I got a DD 3x3 tarp for christmas. It's a lovely bit of kit.

luresalive
04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I would agree with Martin & Steve, don't be tempted to get any bigger than 3x3m (if your relatively new to tarps). I would also recommend either a DD Tarp or a Tatonka Polycotton Tarp.

If you did end up getting a large Tarp later on for group shelters go with a cheap builders Tarp.

Interesting comment about the builders tarp Ashley, would you care to elaborate on why to choose one of them over the XL DD??

Ashley Cawley
04-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Interesting comment about the builders tarp Ashley, would you care to elaborate on why to choose one of them over the XL DD??
Personally, price.

The only time I want a large Tarp for group shelter is for Meets, so I want a big one, probably larger than the DD XL Tarp and I wouldn't want to pay £40-£50 for it, especially when I could probably get a larger cheap builders one for a quarter or half that price.

soulstar1963
06-01-2011, 08:22 AM
ive just bought the dd xl i havent used it yet but i have to agree it may be a case of overkill i didnt realise just how big it was until id opened it out......i bought it in preference to the 3x3 as i thought it would give me more set up options, maybe even being able to sit on a stool under it, ill let you know how i get on with it after ive taken it out for its maiden voyage, ...........one little thought , if its too big to hang between trees couldnt you use it the other way round and fold under what you dont need ? one good way ive seen it used is over a hammock the extra length allows it to be staked down to the floor whilst still covering the hammock and making a good wind break

jack_in_the_green
11-01-2011, 06:26 PM
i have the dd xl tarp and it's MASSIVE.

i use mine the other way round and find i can stand upright at the ridge line (to get in or out of my hammock) and peg out both sides down to the ground and there's loads of space inside to move around.

KERNOW KELT
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
How about folding the XL Tarp and then using clingons?
Loads of options then.
Have to agree with jack in the green ref the military kit, the mrs brought me back an ozzy basha from Perth.. top kit!

IBrown
11-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm thinking of a tarp and was going to buy the XL but i think after reading this thread i will go for the small one.

Martin
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm thinking of a tarp and was going to buy the XL but i think after reading this thread i will go for the small one.

:) You (now) know it makes sense. ;)

Martin

andy t
12-01-2011, 07:22 AM
i bought my xl in the sale it was £31 this helped convince me as the 3x3 is usually around £27-£30. One thing i have added is a piece of voile net from ikea, green and large as well, which can be stretched over the opening of the tarp if its set up half pyramid style to keep any insects out. it will all still fit into the bag as the voile packs down very small.