PDA

View Full Version : its a hoot!

fish
16-08-2012, 09:02 AM
heres my latest spoon,carved from rowan and inspired by a chap known as Roadkillphil.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/crafts/DSC02896.jpg

thanks for looking.

AL...
16-08-2012, 01:16 PM
A real work of art Fish fantastic :)

Cheers
AL

FishyFolk
16-08-2012, 02:08 PM
That to me has to have been created by the use of magic!

Also, I love that knife. Did you make it?

JonnyP
16-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice carving Justin.
Liking that pot too. What tool did you use to carve out the slot for the base..?

fish
16-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Also, I love that knife. Did you make it?

yes i did the blade is 440s from thegoodstuffshop.com the burl oak is from a local source,tis my user for day to day outdoorsy stuff.

fish
16-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Nice carving Justin.
Liking that pot too. What tool did you use to carve out the slot for the base..?

not sure what its called but its a scribe set in a block that is used for marking wood paralel to the edge,it was filed to make a blade.

JonnyP
16-08-2012, 05:40 PM
not sure what its called but its a scribe set in a block that is used for marking wood paralel to the edge,it was filed to make a blade.

I know the thing you mean, a marking gauge, I think its called. Sean Helman does his pots like that I think.

fish
16-08-2012, 08:29 PM
his stuff is inspirational aint it?

Roadkillphil
16-08-2012, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=fish;51831]heres my latest spoon,carved from rowan and inspired by a chap known as Roadkillphil.

QUOTE]

Ahhhhhhh, so thats why you asked ifn I'd been on my Flickr recently ;) Hahaha! Thanks for your comments on my pics Justin and also thanks for the kick up the arse to check my Flickr more... I've noticed that loads of my pics aren't available to view as I'm on the free Flickr... Looks like i'm gonna have to upgrade to the pro account..

Ansum job with the spoon Bud :D

NeedABrew
16-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Fish, having seen some of your posts over the past couple of days I can only say I am in total awe of such skills. This carving is really just amazing pal. I'm going to have to start to learn if for no other reason than to further appreciate the skill you have when my own efforts probably turn out looking more like forks than spoons :ashamed:

fish
16-08-2012, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=fish;51831]heres my latest spoon,carved from rowan and inspired by a chap known as Roadkillphil.

QUOTE]

Ahhhhhhh, so thats why you asked ifn I'd been on my Flickr recently ;) Hahaha! Thanks for your comments on my pics Justin and also thanks for the kick up the arse to check my Flickr more... I've noticed that loads of my pics aren't available to view as I'm on the free Flickr... Looks like i'm gonna have to upgrade to the pro account..

Ansum job with the spoon Bud :D

cheers phil,i often look through your pics for inspiration,my owl didnt come out as slick as yours!

fish
16-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Fish, having seen some of your posts over the past couple of days I can only say I am in total awe of such skills. This carving is really just amazing pal. I'm going to have to start to learn if for no other reason than to further appreciate the skill you have when my own efforts probably turn out looking more like forks than spoons :ashamed:

mate anyone can do it,itll be more difficult for some than others practice is the key,i carve every day for several hours at times.get started and remember to take pics,if nothin else itll show you how you have progressed.
ps . if yer ever down this way theres allways a kettle on the wood burner,drop in and we can chat n carve a log or two!

HillBill
16-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Now thats lovely Justin. :)

rosseveritt
16-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Very good, thx for sharing that. :)

Jason
23-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Very Inspirational !! Awesome Craftsmanship !!

paul standley
31-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Awesome... I do so envy the spoon carving fraternity. I did have a dabble last year inspired by some stuff Ashley was doing and sat by a campfire when I was doing some lone camping last autumn I did have a go at a spoon but through a process of evolution and cock-up fixing it morphed into a small three pronged eating fork and I knew at that point that spoons were not going to be my thing :-)

Paul.

fish
31-10-2012, 08:41 PM
you gave up too easily ,have another go.

paulthefish2009
01-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Fish,can't add anything more to what "needabrew" has said mate,wonderfull. Paul

fish
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
ide rather have caught that barble!

paulthefish2009
01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
ide rather have caught that barble!

Just on 9lb that one !