PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft in Highlands of Scotland

Forester74
14-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Where's the best area in the Highlands of Scotland to spend a week putting my bushcraft skills to the test.

AdrianRose
15-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi Forester

I really don't want to rain on your parade mate but to answer your question accurately it would be helpful to know a little bit more about your background, knowledge, skills and abilities.

You say that you are going for a week to practice your bushcraft skills, but a week is a long time in the woods if you are relatively new to bushcraft.

As I said mate, I don't want to bring a downer to you but there are quite a lot of factors that you will need to take into consideration before choosing your location such as:
carrying a weeks worth of food on your back,
access to water,
what are you cooking on (you can burn a huge amount of wood in a week),
will you have a mobile phone signal should you have a problem,
when are you going because you have to take into account seasonal wild game shoots in Scotland.

If you plan it right I'm sure you will have a great time.

Ade

Forester74
15-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Scouting for clients?, don't need to go on one of your courses learnt all my bushcraft skills in the military, only been in the Highlands of Scotland in the past either Mountaineering/climbing or on military exercise, seen some nice places to bivi so just looking for some insight.

Things taken into consideration

Broken my leg, illness or may come across some emergency with poor or no mobile signal Fast Find personal location beacon,
Carry five 24hour army rations no problem, water shouldn't be a problem if using common sense,
Cooking with fire don't want hack all the forest down so will be using gas stove only, cooking with fire when possible,
Well aware of shooting estates in Scotland, red deer shooting starts 1st of June to 15th of Feb so common sense is needed outdoors during stalking season!

I'll have brilliant time

Jers

paulthefish2009
15-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Think Adrian was only offering some advice (and bloody good advice in my opinion). Paul

AL...
15-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Ade wouldent have been scouting for clients mate just trying to help ye out a bit is all .
If yer lookin for somewhere up this side of the wall try round about Loch Lomond or up in Perthshire All great for wild camping with plenty fresh off the hill water . (Always plenty water in Scotland.. Only way we know its summer is when the rain is warm) :) Enjoy yer trip

Cheers
AL

jus_young
15-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Tony1948
15-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Mite have learnt some BC skills in the mob,pitty they didant teach you wair to go:guns:

Roadkillphil
15-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Now then, play nicely please gennelmen.

Hello Mr Forester74, welcome to Natural Bushcraft. The best way to start is to introduce yourself and tell us more about yourself and your experience. Maybe then Ade would not have been shooting in the dark with regards to your needs. I can assure you that he is not the kinda guy to be "scouting for business" as you put it. I am certain he just wants to learn more about what you're looking for, seeing as your first ever post here was quite blunt with little info. How about you pop along to the intro section and let us all know about yourself. Hope you find the adventure and Test you are looking for, and hope you find this website and forum useful, as well as contributing to the wealth of knowledge to be found here.

All the best

Phil :)

Ashley Cawley
15-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Scouting for clients?Hi Jers,

As far as I'm aware Northwest Bushcraft doesn't run commercial courses, Ade runs a site much like this one sharing skills/knowledge freely, considering how honourable that is it would be a bad idea to make assumptions & show a disrespectful attitude. Even if he did run courses I couldn't care less because a) all his points were valid. b) he wasn't touting for business.

Try again; introduce yourself - show respect or leave.

biker-bri
15-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Well said everybody, advice is freely given on this site and no one expects anything in return. The one thing we should all remember is that we are never to old to learn,-- and I've yet to meet the man who knows everything.

luresalive
15-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Scouting for clients?, don't need to go on one of your courses learnt all my bushcraft skills in the military, only been in the Highlands of Scotland in the past either Mountaineering/climbing or on military exercise, seen some nice places to bivi so just looking for some insight.

Things taken into consideration

Broken my leg, illness or may come across some emergency with poor or no mobile signal Fast Find personal location beacon,
Carry five 24hour army rations no problem, water shouldn't be a problem if using common sense,
Cooking with fire don't want hack all the forest down so will be using gas stove only, cooking with fire when possible,
Well aware of shooting estates in Scotland, red deer shooting starts 1st of June to 15th of Feb so common sense is needed outdoors during stalking season!

I'll have brilliant time

Jers

Yeah bit strong on the come back there mate, we are a close knit bunch here and if you insult one of us you insult us all, Adrian was only looking out for you, it's a shame your pride blinded you to that.

AdrianRose
15-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Thank you for the support guys. I have deliberately waited to post a response as I am great at knee jerk reactions and probably would have said something that I would regret.

Anyway, in answer to your statement Forester74, I am not nor have I ever used this forum to tout for business.

I have a YouTube channel that has not and never will be monetized, therefore it is of no financial benefit to me.

Likewise my website is solely funded by me with no adverts, no banners and no google adsense. I run both of these at my cost so that I can, in some small way, aid the bushcraft community with what little I know.

I have done courses/workshops but these have been done soley for charity, most notably "Help for Heroes" whom I have helped raise over £3000 for so far.

I simply asked you a question in response to your thread to better understand your needs, you responded with an unfounded, offensive statement.

That is not what this forum is about, it is run by its community and for the good of its community.

Despite this, I still wish you a happy and safe trip to Scotland.

Ade.

bronskimac
16-08-2012, 08:08 PM
While you are busy going about your business not getting shot as a dear.

From 12th August to 10th December is grouse season so there are hundreds of posh city types out there on their one shoot of the year, possibly the only shoot in their lives. By a big yellow jacket if your going about in the empty Highlands.

Oakenwise
23-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the support guys. I have deliberately waited to post a response as I am great at knee jerk reactions and probably would have said something that I would regret.

Anyway, in answer to your statement Forester74, I am not nor have I ever used this forum to tout for business.

I have a YouTube channel that has not and never will be monetized, therefore it is of no financial benefit to me.

Likewise my website is solely funded by me with no adverts, no banners and no google adsense. I run both of these at my cost so that I can, in some small way, aid the bushcraft community with what little I know.

I have done courses/workshops but these have been done soley for charity, most notably "Help for Heroes" whom I have helped raise over £3000 for so far.

I simply asked you a question in response to your thread to better understand your needs, you responded with an unfounded, offensive statement.

That is not what this forum is about, it is run by its community and for the good of its community.

Despite this, I still wish you a happy and safe trip to Scotland.

Ade.
As a newcomer to this forum, Adrian, this is the type of post I wanted to see.

Keep up the good work.

Dave-Hockley
13-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Hi guys, I'm [very] new here... I also live in the Highlands, Inverness, to be precise.
While my experience is somewhat limited compared to some, I'd like to spend a couple of nights in the wild, but I have no idea where I can go do practice such skills. Shelter building with tarps and things is easy enough, there is a forest no too far from where I live, but it's run by the forestry comission, so I'm not allowed to build a small camp fire (as far as I know)
Is there anywhere around the Inverness area anyone knows that might support firecraft along with a couple of nights in a tarp / tent? It'll be much more comfortable than using a little trangia!
Thanks in advance guys

cuppa joe
14-02-2013, 09:28 AM
I have been a member on this site for a while now and find the attitudes of other members to be generous of spirit ,honest and helpful.
When I see a comment like this in response to what was clearly only meant to be helpful advice then it stands out like a sore thumb and think Ade deserves an apology.
Maybe you should try starting again Forester i'm sure you will be welcomed.