PDA

View Full Version : Need help.

Tymur
13-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Going to Scotland for a week of wild camping.
Is there any chance to get anywhere near lakes :camping: on Sunday if I arrive at 6 pm to Glasgow? Something like late buses or trains? As I don't really want to stay in B&B :mad2:

Broon01
16-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Hmm.. Tricky one.

Two problems, Theres only one lake in Scotland (Lake of Menteith) but plenty of Lochs or resevoirs.:p

The other issue is Sunday busses. They tend to be a total nightmare but you could jump on another train to milngavie and make your way allong the first part of the west highland way, If you stomp at a decent pace for about an hour and a half you'll come to some pretty nice places, If youve got a week depending on your fitness you could walk the whole way from glasgow to fort william and get the train or bus back to Glasgow.

Alternatively you could jump on a train to Stirling where you can get out of the city on foot and get to North Third resevoir for a nice camp and either stay in the area or jump on a bus on the Monday to Callander or Aberfoyle in the trossachs where theres loads of really beautiful places to camp like Loch Drunkie, Loch Vennacher, Loch Achray, Glen Finglas Resevoir or even our beloved Lake of Menteith

You're really spoiled for choice camping in the Trossachs, Theres even a decent chunk of ancient Caledonian forest near Callander thats deffinetly worth a visit.

Hope you have a great trip and show of some pictures when you return.

Tymur
16-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Broon01 thank you for your reply.

I've got tickets now and will arrive to Glasgow earlier than I expected (late afternoon).
It's very hard do decide where to go as there are too many places to choose from.
So I've decided not to plan my trip and just go where my mood will take me.
Printed some maps and checked Google earth for the ideas.