PDA

View Full Version : Whittling advice

RobD
10-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Really keen on giving this a go and wondered if anyone knew a good book to look at for some tips. Or any place to look for some good advice for a newbie.

rich290185
10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
the little book of whittling is good quite basic but i found it a good to start

FishyFolk
10-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Stock up on bandaids...

jbrown14
11-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Sharpen yer knife, get a chunk of wood, decide what you want to make out of it, cut off all the bits that don't look like the thing you want to make. :D

For me, whittling has always been about relaxing and seeing what comes out of the wood. Most of the stuff I ended up with looked like the giant heads on Easter Island and eventually fueled my fires, or was something born out of necessity like a quick spoon or fork done up for a hike and discarded afterward.

As you boys across the pond say, just have a go.

Later!

Josh

Bogusmerlin
11-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I also recommend the little book of whittling - has some good basic info on knives and woods which many others neglect - also head over to youtube - loads of videos which can give you ideas - my advice - get a small sharp knife - learn to sharpen it - use it a lot - as with any tool it takes a while to get the best out of it - I found my first reaction was to dislike my new tools - but with perseverance I started to enjoy using them - and started to get the best out of them

Tony1948
11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
523452355236Get yourself a sharp blade and make a start.

CanadianMike
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Short, very sharp knife, absolute control by pressing the blade through with your holding hand thumb, not arm strength (will make the blade fly if you slip), take off little bits at a time, keep your fingers out of the way. How to do it well, no idea. I just pointed out how not to get cut! Lol

Chubbs
11-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I started my first catapult last week and I am already on my second now. I still have bits to do on the first one but I haven't yet bought any bands for them. All I'm using at the moment is an Opinel No 8 knife. Its ok to use but I have a few sore fingers. I will definately be upgrading my knife because I am really, really enjoying my new found hobby.

I always thought I had no idea about designing and making anything with detail but I think I'm doing ok for my first attempts. Give it a go mate, its great.

A forty foot tree shed a limb at around ten yesterday morning a few doors away on our estate. It crashed into the neighbour's garden and the council have now chopped it up and left the branches there for the weekend. My boy and me were out this morning with the saw chopping forks for new catty's. I have had five kids on the estate around at mine either asking me to make them one or asking what to use.

Brad, my boy turned around to me this afternoon and said that he hadn't been on his Xbox all day because he had been busy making his catapult. This is why I joined the forum in the fist place not too long ago. Instead of sitting there all day with a bad back, we are doing more boys stuff together and for this I thank everyboby else on the forum for making it happen.

FishyFolk
11-08-2012, 09:57 PM
I started my first catapult last week and I am already on my second now. I still have bits to do on the first one but I haven't yet bought any bands for them. All I'm using at the moment is an Opinel No 8 knife. Its ok to use but I have a few sore fingers. I will definately be upgrading my knife because I am really, really enjoying my new found hobby.

I always thought I had no idea about designing and making anything with detail but I think I'm doing ok for my first attempts. Give it a go mate, its great.

A forty foot tree shed a limb at around ten yesterday morning a few doors away on our estate. It crashed into the neighbour's garden and the council have now chopped it up and left the branches there for the weekend. My boy and me were out this morning with the saw chopping forks for new catty's. I have had five kids on the estate around at mine either asking me to make them one or asking what to use.

Brad, my boy turned around to me this afternoon and said that he hadn't been on his Xbox all day because he had been busy making his catapult. This is why I joined the forum in the fist place not too long ago. Instead of sitting there all day with a bad back, we are doing more boys stuff together and for this I thank everyboby else on the forum for making it happen.

A boy must always have a catapult. It's the law of life!

He he, reminds me of an Icelandic friend of mine who teaches primary school here in Norway. He let his 1st grade boys make wooden swords when they had wood working shop. Naturally the PC muggler aunties in teachers quarters where offended by this and he was called in to expplain why he let the children "play with weapons!"

His answer was that "They are boys. Boys needs swords", and at that he turned around and left the room...