PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Can Advice

Humakt
08-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Chaps.
Need some advice about jerry cans.
I want to get a small jerry can - about 5 litre size. I also want one that isn't clear - preferably a bushcraft-friendly green, or black.
So I was thinking about a petrol can. You know, those green plastic ones you get at a petrol stations that are about 5L size.
I'd prefer plastic because they're lighter.

Are they OK for putting water in?
I was looking on evilbay and found a few that said petrol/diesel/water. But I want to make sure.
I have to go into town today so will have a look to for myself, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone 'knows'.

AL...
08-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I saw a steel one in TK Max the othere day of all placs . Might be worth checking them out . Or ye could try Halfords

Cheers
AL

Old Guard
08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
paint a clear one !!!

NeedABrew
09-08-2012, 12:35 AM
If you were to store water for a few days. especially hot days, then plastics that are not designed specifically for water holding are to be avoided. They can leech xenooestrogens into the water which is really not a good thing especially for us guys. In fact there are many people (myself included) that will not even heat up a meal in a plastic container (think microwave meals). As if the levels of salt are not bad enough, the other horrible things that get added from the plastics are the ultimate reason to avoid them.

Now the only problem I have is that aluminium has been linked with Alzheimer disease so metal is a bit iffy too.

Having said that, aluminium has been linked with Alzheimer disease so metal is a bit iffy too. And as for aluminium..... ;-)

CanadianMike
09-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Is funny reading this, over here all the gas jerry cans sold are red plastic in colour, unless you come across the occasional military surplus one (saw one the other day at a hardware store, surplus from somewhere over there, 20L, green plastic, $65!?!?!?) Mind you, it did have various cool features in it, such as a hose and I think maybe a wee pump......... Love to get one for my 4Runner, but I just blew $1200 on a new drivers side axle, ball joints and mounts, etc, etc, so I'll be in a bit of cash pain for a couple months. I DO want a 20L though, to fill when the price is good and I can afford it, but will have to use my roof rack to transport it home, and as much as I'd like to keep it with my Runner, it'd have to be locked to the rack.

We have blue water jugs over here though for camping, 20L, includes a reversable water spiggot in the lid cap, but that is over here. ;)

BTW> I thought the aluminum pots leading to Alheimer's was found to be a myth a few years ago, it was linked to something totally different?

jus_young
09-08-2012, 07:44 AM
If you were to store water for a few days. especially hot days, then plastics that are not designed specifically for water holding are to be avoided. They can leech xenooestrogens into the water which is really not a good thing especially for us guys. In fact there are many people (myself included) that will not even heat up a meal in a plastic container (think microwave meals). As if the levels of salt are not bad enough, the other horrible things that get added from the plastics are the ultimate reason to avoid them.

T^

Plastic water storage vessels are used within the water treatment plants that I install and have to labelled as 'suitable for potable water' thereby avoiding the plastics with the worst of the nasty chemicals. Two identical looking containers can be completely different in their composition so its very difficult to see what you are getting without suitable labelling. Best avoided imho.

Humakt
09-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Cheers for the advice, chaps.
I had a look in town yesterday and couldn't find anything suitable so I've sacked the idea.
It was just a whimsy anyway. I'll stick with the funny tasting MSR Dromedary and be done!