PDA

View Full Version : I nearly cried!

jus_young
04-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Help is required on this one - My wife has been decorating which is generally not a bad thing but she somehow managed to include the sleeve of my Paramo smock in the process :(
As I didn't know at the time what she had managed to do, the paint has had a good week to dry so its not exactly a case of just washing it off any more. Can anyone suggest how the hell I get it out of the fabric without wrecking £160 worth of coat that I have not had that long :confused:

Any help appreciated...

Kernowek Scouser
04-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Are you sitting down?

There is a very good chance you will not get the paint off completely.

Breathe.

However, it should be possibly to remove enough of the paint without damaging the smock, to avoid cruel people pointing and laughing at you.

If you are going to try and remove the stain yourself, google paint remover specific to the fabric of the smock - prepare yourself in advance, as anything you find will most likely not be cheap.

Or you could speak to cleaning professionals, someone like Johnson's and see if they can clean it for you (in my experience, they will tell you if they don't think they can help you).

If neither of the above appeal, then you could always contact Paramo and see what they recommend.

Whatever you do, good luck.

FishyFolk
04-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Well, well, my wife just told me that my shoes are ready for our Oslo trip in the coming week...when asking what do you mean with "ready"...the answer was: "They are dry again after I cleaned them"
Turned out she cleaned my brand new Gore tex walking shoes in the washing machine...so I guess they are not water proof anymore. She have destroyed a good number of my outdoor clothes that way...

dannyreid1978
04-08-2012, 04:12 PM
House insurance cover either of these?

happybonzo
04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Make a claim on your House Insurance. Paramo might be worth contacting but I doubt if they'll tell you what their material is so that you can buy a specific cleaner

Silverback
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Paramo have excellent after sales service, give them a ring, they may even be able to clean it for you

cuppa joe
04-08-2012, 06:06 PM
what kind of paint is it ?

CanadianMike
04-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Paint the rest of your smock, you'll forget where the spot was in the first place. :)

Dare I ask what colour of paint?

Thumbcrusher
05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Have you tried putting it in the freezer for a day or so then trying to crack the paint off?

cuppa joe
05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
if its emulsion or non acrylic try putting some hair conditioner on it ..leave it for 20 mins then gently scrape with a sharp thin bladed knife (with the blade almost vertical ) try to keep the material taught.
When you have most of it off and the mass is broken up use a stiff scrubbing brush to take the rest off..

jus_young
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
...Breathe.

Still breathing, just!

Well, well, my wife just told me that my shoes are ready for our Oslo trip in the coming week...when asking what do you mean with "ready"...the answer was: "They are dry again after I cleaned them"
Turned out she cleaned my brand new Gore tex walking shoes in the washing machine...so I guess they are not water proof anymore. She have destroyed a good number of my outdoor clothes that way...

They only try to be helpful :D

...Paramo might be worth contacting but I doubt if they'll tell you what their material is so that you can buy a specific cleaner

Paramo have excellent after sales service, give them a ring, they may even be able to clean it for you

I will give them a shout and see what they suggest

what kind of paint is it ?

Gloss - couldn't be worse!

Paint the rest of your smock, you'll forget where the spot was in the first place. :)

Dare I ask what colour of paint?

Strange you should say that, its exactly what the wife suggested! As for paint colour, its white paint on black material.

Have you tried putting it in the freezer for a day or so then trying to crack the paint off?

if its emulsion or non acrylic try putting some hair conditioner on it ..leave it for 20 mins then gently scrape with a sharp thin bladed knife (with the blade almost vertical ) try to keep the material taught.
When you have most of it off and the mass is broken up use a stiff scrubbing brush to take the rest off..

I think I will give these a go until I hear back from Paramo.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

paulthefish2009
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
sounds tricky mate. think it will have to be a insurance job....................... or sew a bushcrafty type patch over it. Paul

Chubbs
27-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Did you ever get the paint out of the smock mate.

jus_young
28-08-2012, 08:20 AM
In a word... NO!

After some deliberation I decided that it shall be left in place so that I can remind the wife on a regular basis of what she did, and I should therefore be allowed to purchase other bushcrafty items whenever I like as compensation. It will probably end up causing more damage trying to get it out anyway so I may as well just use the smock as it was intended for, which is getting some abuse from the great British weather and woodland activities. It will probably wear off in the end.

Roadkillphil
28-08-2012, 09:09 AM
In a word... NO!
I should therefore be allowed to purchase other bushcrafty items whenever I like as compensation.

Good shout meht! :D

GalaxyRider
14-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Cut the sleeves off...Bingo a Paramo gilletT^