PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

charlarino
03-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi there, I've been a big time fan of bushcraft / wild camping and have visited the lakes a few times to have a bit of rest and relaxation,

However uptill now I've always lugged too much stuff around with me - mostly normal camping equipment from gooutdoors or maplins, and to be honest - it does put a dampner on things when your backpack is heavier than you.

I'd like to go lighter and to this end I've got between 1 and 3oo pounds to spend on a 3-4 night stay near ben nevis this coming september.

I've decided I want to try using a hammock, as it sounds cool, and will help lighten my load, and I'd like to carry the minimum possible to have a comfortable few nights

I've been looking at this as a good starter set : http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/pack-full and if you, more experienced people think this is suitable what else would you suggest I need?

I've looked at the swedish stove on a few Army surplus sites, is this any good or is there something better I could use?

Thanks for all your help, and if this is the wrong forum I apologise.. :)

Richie
03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
That's a pretty good starter for the money imo. I bought the same thing in a group buy.
You need to decide between the Traveller or the Frontline to begin with. The Traveller has a waterproof base which allows it to be used on the floor as a bivvy but it suffers more condensation than the Frontline.
The pack comes with webbing for suspension but you really need to upgrade it to a decent suspension system. there's plenty of options to choose from but DD do a whoopie system (http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/suspensionsystem) for an additional £28. I use a similar system but without the carabiners (less weight).

charlarino
03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
thanks richie - does the bag have enough space left over for waterproofs cooker food etc?

Richie
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Sure does. It's a Mil-Com 35. It has two side pockets and a zip in the top cover for bits. I always use on side pocket for my FAK, top zip pocket for torches, batteries, spork and other assorted small stuff.
It comes with some D-rings on the bag so with a couple of compression straps you could always strap your sleeping bag or bed roll to the outside (do I hear gasps from people?).

What it doesn't have is a waterproof cover but I bought a large one from Go Outdoors that packs down real small for around £7 and this would cover the bag strapped to the outside too.

charlarino
03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
excellent thanks for the quick replies,

I will be getting that then, probably with the frontline hammock as I'm fairly well covered for sleeping on the ground.

so with this combi kit, I already have a swiss army knife style cutlery set bought from aldis a while back, waterproof coat (folds in pocket / and as its bright orange doubles as a signal flag) and waterproof bottoms,

so I'll need something like a billy can and a stove to cook on. any recommendations? I like the look of the honeystove or the pocket stove, but I cant decide which I like best..

thanks again for taking the time to answer

NeedABrew
03-08-2012, 06:13 PM
+1 vote for the DD kit, I bought daughter #2 that exact thing (Travel hammock version) and it's great kit.

To give an idea of space left over, she's put an Ultralight 1000 sleeping bag and a light weight fleece blanket in too and there's still room in the main sack. I reckon my two person trangia 25-2 would just about squeeze in (although she's using the space for a change of clothes - Dad gets to carry the cooking gear). That still leaves two good size side pockets for rations, water etc. and the top zip pocket for odds and ends as Richie commented.

I also agree about getting the whoopie system for total ease. I've not weighed it but as it stands she's more than capable of lugging it about for a few hours wander and she's only 10.

How about one of these http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=393 with Kuksa cup for an additional 2 quid?

ADz
05-08-2012, 01:29 AM
so I'll need something like a billy can and a stove to cook on. any recommendations? I like the look of the honeystove or the pocket stove, but I cant decide which I like best..

thanks again for taking the time to answer

I have the Pocket Stove with a Meths burner. You can make your own meths burner from pop cans or buy a Trangia or Esbit (has better lid). You could go for the Whitebox stove which is basically a aluminum bottle stove with tinfoil wind shield.

I also have/like the Trangia Stove set as its quite light but comes with everything pots/pans/kettle/windshield and packs away quite good. Or alternatively you could get the smaller Trangia set that is linked above.

For super light/solo trips I think ill be taking just my Pocket Stove+Burner and billy can/crusader mug. For normal light/non-solo trips ill also have full Trangia set.

troopermaz
07-08-2012, 12:33 AM
definately recommend whoopie slings they are super light, strong and easy to setup. I can make sets up for anyone that wants them