PDA

View Full Version : Good woodlands in the north west

RobD
29-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this - sorry if I am wrong - but just wondered where to find good woodlands to use in the north west.

I'm now based on the coast in Southport, Sefton so plenty of Coastal walks I know about but genuine good sized woods...

Any help on places to go would be really helpful so I can start getting back into the feel of being in the bush - so to speak!

NeedABrew
29-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi Rob I'll be interested to read anything here too.

I'm heading to Delamere Forest in a couple of weeks to take my middle daughter for her first hammock camp. I've not wild camped there since I was a kid (which is now more than a few summers ago!). In fact I was just looking over my OS map in Memory-Map and trying to decide roughly where to head to.

Well under £20 quid return on the train from Southport (I always prefer going on the train when I wild camp it's more of an adventure!)

Kernowek Scouser
29-07-2012, 10:55 PM
I think you might struggle to find any decent sized woods round your way, but I remember from my misspent youth that are some wooded areas up the 'posh end' of Greater Scousershire between Formby and Crosby, near Thornton. If you fancy your chances down the scally end, you have Stockton Woods at Speke Hall, not far from the airport.

But for decent woodland I think you would have to head for Lancashire, Cheshire or North Wales (the land of liquid sunshine:))

I would be interested to know if you find somewhere decent, as I'll be up visiting family at some point between now and New Year and it would be handy to have some where to sneak off to, when my less evolved cousins are inebriated to the extent they can only communicate using the vowels A and E.

Good luck.

Silverback
30-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Why not visit us in the Peak District or the Trough of Bowland ? The Lakes and North Wales arent far as previously mentioned

RobD
23-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Gosh didn't realise it had been so long since I was on this forum! That's the trouble with having two hobby interests and a busy family!:oops:

Well after a bit of a search I have found quite a few smallish woods that could be good for some stealth camping. A couple of the larger ones I am pretty interested in but need to check with the local farmers as they are right on their doorsteps. Once I have some firmer details I will let you know.

WaywardWildman
22-05-2013, 08:49 AM
From what kernowek seemed to be describing it sounds like one of the set of woodlands I currently work in just off the side of Thornton by Little Crosby, Currently in the process of turning part of the area into a bushcraft school as an addition to our Outdoor centre located near by, anyone is more than welcome to camp out/practice bushcraft here if they don't mind helping out with a bit of site maintenance i.e.. clearing wood & coppicing. let me know what you think.

shepherd
22-05-2013, 08:53 AM
plenty of wooded areas up my area bud, get yourself to the lake district..

baitman
22-05-2013, 11:23 AM
From what kernowek seemed to be describing it sounds like one of the set of woodlands I currently work in just off the side of Thornton by Little Crosby, Currently in the process of turning part of the area into a bushcraft school as an addition to our Outdoor centre located near by, anyone is more than welcome to camp out/practice bushcraft here if they don't mind helping out with a bit of site maintenance i.e.. clearing wood & coppicing. let me know what you think.
pm'd.

Kernowek Scouser
22-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Nice one fella, next time I'm up visiting family, I'll give you a shout.

freedom
22-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Hi mate,

I would be willing to volunteer to do some labour around the wood, sp please pm me.
Cheers,
Phil

sharks3010
29-07-2013, 10:46 AM

I've dropped you a PM. as I live in Liverpool, this sounds like an great opportunity to keep practicing bushcraft locally. Thanks for the post.

Dave

Sar-ian
29-07-2013, 12:39 PM
An old thread this one, may find the offer of camping, in return for some labour may have been with-drawn...

sharks3010
29-07-2013, 01:16 PM
An old thread this one, may find the offer of camping, in return for some labour may have been with-drawn...

Cheers for letting me know Sar-ian, much appreciated.

mike
23-01-2014, 05:44 AM
If this offer still stands, I'm interested.

Sar-ian
23-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi Mike, I think that this is now withdrawn, however if you're looking for permission camping, Northern Soul Bushcrafters, of which I am a founder member will be organizing meets at various location and dates through out this year, all are welcome, we just ask that you abide by the NSB ethos and all that we stand for. You've just missed our first birthday meet, check out our facebook page for piccy's, cheers Ian.....

NorthernYeti
23-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Daresbury Firs is nice pine woodland lovely size big enough to get lost in and quite isolated & my fave woodland where i lived for 3 months in a tipi without seeing more than 2 peolple for the entire time, Longacre Wood in Dutton

mike
24-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Sounds just the job Ian, the ethos thing shouldn't be too bad, so long as you don't bight the heads off live animals or wear white pointy hoods with letters on. Thanks for responding BTW, now I gotta find your Facebook page.

mike
24-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I recognize daresbury and dutton, so assume you're talking to me Yeti. Least I hope so cos daresbury firs sounds fantastic, why aren't we all camping there. Prestatyn ain't a million mules either. Thanks for responding. Mike.

woodsman
24-01-2014, 04:31 PM
I work just around the corner from Daresbury firs. I go there to get away from the madness of a lunchtime.
Tis a nice place. It's not huge, but easy enough to stay hidden if your quiet. Doesnt get a huge amount of traffic, just the occasional dog walker. I think of a few places lot closer to Prestatyn though.

NorthernYeti
24-01-2014, 05:45 PM
I think of a few places lot closer to Prestatyn though. i grew up in detsbury village so its my childhood woodland!

mike
25-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Many thanks for the respond woodsman, don't think I'll make many lunchtimes, but may cross paths at some other campfire.

Davepr
22-04-2014, 10:18 AM
I know it's risky due to rangers but I have done solo nights in freshfield and ainsdale near formby. Other than coastal you have to travel up north to the lakes or north wales.

Or find a nice farmer willing to rent out there woodland to you lol hard to do I have tried many times and most are rude.