PDA

View Full Version : Best honey stove - 2009 or 2012?

RobD
27-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Okay after seeing the vids on these I was really keen to get one and my wife even said she would get it me for my birthday!:D

Problem is I don't know which version is best. Seen both and not sure how well the grill in the 2012 version fares compared to the older slot in version. Seems a bit wobbly. Anybody tried both or able to make a comment on the newer version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Martin
27-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Knowing backpackinglight.co.uk like we do on here, any development of their kit is likely to be an improvement. I'd be most surprised if they would put a new model into the market unless it was an improvement over the original.

On that basis, I'd say go for the newer version.

Martin

Peaks
28-07-2012, 06:39 AM
The 2012 version is definitely better............still find it fiddley to put together.

andy t
03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I recently bought a honey stove and opted for the 2009 version. To me the 2012 version looks cheap with the mesh top. I fail to see how the mesh top could be classed as an improvement ?

RobD
10-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I recently bought a honey stove and opted for the 2009 version. To me the 2012 version looks cheap with the mesh top. I fail to see how the mesh top could be classed as an improvement ?

That was my thoughts on it as well. Just seems like an after thought on the design front. Can you still buy the 2009 version?

Actually - this goes to Peaks - what do you think makes the 2012 version better? Really interested in your thoughts as you actually have it. Am I being a bit ridiculous about the mesh grill or not?

Peaks
11-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi RobD,
Its down to preferences I guess, I bought the 2012 square plate and the 2012 trangia plate for my 2009 honey - purchased a couple of years ago. I think they are useful additions, give versatility and I prefer the new trangia plate. Not keen on the mesh grill either, but can see it would give even more options. Its the versatility of the Honey which swayed me and is its strongpoint IMO.

The Honey is a good stove but I find it fiddley to assemble and would like to see the plates hinged (not impossible or expensive?). In my view that is the biggest flaw of the stove. Consequently it doesn't get used that much. (But I'm not as hardcore as a lot of the folks on here).
I also have the Vargo Hexagon which has turned out to be a lot easier to use but not as versatile as the Honey - and is an expensive windshield for a meths burner, but goes well with the Crusader cup. I also recently bought a Pocket stove (I'm on the search for the ultimate quick brew up stove + don't want to use gas), which is also a good stove, but also a bit fiddley.

If I had my time over again I would go for one of the Folding Firebox stoves, but would prefer to buy something British .
HTH

Psycho
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Well I don't have the honey stove, but the 2009 Version looks more stable to me.
I think I would buy this version and, if I need, the square food grill seperately.

Kind regards,
Thomas

barnes3126
23-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Folding firebox is nice, although rather heavy. Just over 2 pounds or .9 kilogram.

jus_young
23-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Looking at the posts on here the concern seems to be mainly about the mesh top on the later version. Having used the honey stove for some time, I would say that the mesh top is probably a good way to go. It was an additional option before to make it more versatile for cooking things like your steaks and sausages with the normal top plate (2009 version) being used for your kettle and pans, but what I found was that the top plate had to be left of initially to light the meths burner effectively, and then try to put it back on again with flames pumping out of the top being a tight fit this was generally a right pain.
I would definitely go for the newer version and will be putting in my order for the mesh top, and pot cosy, soon.