PDA

View Full Version : Picture This

Humakt
27-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Mobile phones with cameras and digital photography have really opened up photography as a hobby and I am sure many of us like to take pictures of our times outside.
But.
Does anyone else like to draw/sketch and do a bit of painting?
I do.
Photographs tell an unequivocal story of where you are and what you did. But drawing and painting give a more interpretive representation, bringing something of your own personal experience and emphasis.
Occasionally I take a small (A5) sketch pad with me and like to make either a quick sketch, or maybe a more detailed drawing, and sometimes a watercolour palette as well.
Does anyone else do this, or is it just me?

And no, I'm not going to post my pictures! Firstly, I have no way of digitalising them; and secondly, they're mine and I'm not a great artist just competent enough.

paulthefish2009
27-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I really would like to try to paint the things that i see,got two weeks off after today so i may well try. Any suggestions regarding "my first painting kit"? Go on lets have a look at what you done :please: Paul

Humakt
27-07-2012, 01:11 PM
All you need is a sketch pad and pen/pencil.
The best way to start these things is to just start.

I like it when you read a book of memoirs or something and there's a few sketches in there. So that's what I thought I would do. Some of them are just the briefest of lines, so go into more detail. It all depends on the time I have, the mood I'm in, and what I think is the most appropriate.

If I had some way of digitising my pictures I could be talked in to showing one or two of the best. But I have no way of digitising them - I don't have a scanner or anything like that.

FishyFolk
27-07-2012, 03:15 PM
If I had some way of digitising my pictures I could be talked in to showing one or two of the best. But I have no way of digitising them - I don't have a scanner or anything like that.

If you have a digicam, with a macro setting, take them outside in daylight and photograph them at as close range as you can, preferably on an overcast day, but with plenty of light. Prefrably use a tripod, or even just a bean bag to rest the camera on.

Humakt
27-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah, taking a photo of it. That's a good idea (and just a tad ironic).
OK, so here's one of my paintings.
I took it from the same position I was in when I took a photo at the same time. I'll post both so you can compare.
It was just a quickie - took no more than half hour to do.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7657642802_c571945e12_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8147/7629468696_629e4cdfd3_z.jpg

Come on, anyone else done any?

JonnyP
27-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I used to go and sit out on the village green with bits of roofing slate and a nail, and draw buildings around the place, like the church etc, and then flog them in my parents shop.. Other than that, I have never done any outdoor drawing, but I bet its a great way of relaxing..

FishyFolk
27-07-2012, 11:25 PM
I wish I could draw like that. Very nice .-)

AL...
28-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Excelent work ... I cant draw a straght line with a ruler and pen. lol

Cheers
AL

cuppa joe
28-07-2012, 12:31 PM
These are my sketches but they are only imaginings and not drawings of anything real.51825183518451855186

Humakt
30-07-2012, 09:43 AM
For imaginings they're all very believable and very well done.

paulthefish2009
30-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Humakt, that is bloody great mate,thanks for sharing. Cuppajoe,what lovely drawings,I'm off to buy a sketch pad and pencils tomorrow,cheers lads. Paul

cuppa joe
30-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Oh yeah, taking a photo of it. That's a good idea (and just a tad ironic).
OK, so here's one of my paintings.
I took it from the same position I was in when I took a photo at the same time. I'll post both so you can compare.
It was just a quickie - took no more than half hour to do.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7657642802_c571945e12_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8147/7629468696_629e4cdfd3_z.jpg

Come on, anyone else done any? I think perhaps if you take the time to sketch a scene the memory of the adventure could always be more vivid .
I love the relaxing mood of your Sketch ,I can imagine the small talk and sharing of thoughts that go with it.

Humakt
31-07-2012, 12:47 PM
...I'm off to buy a sketch pad and pencils tomorrow,cheers lads. Paul

Good to hear!
Don't know what your background is, but if it's been ages since you've done any drawing and painting the best thing is not to over-think it, just get on with it and do it. Apologies if you have a bit of experience.

Be good to see some of your work on here as well, but I can understand if you want to keep them private.

Metal mug
31-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Not sure why I missed this thread - great pictures everybody. :)