PDA

View Full Version : Saltmarsh leaves and veg...

Tosh1
26-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

I've just been out with a friend who knows his stuff when it comes to wild food, but I can't remember the names of the stuff I picked. Can anyone help?

Arrowgrass and spoon scurvy something rings a bell; I know the samphire; but what about the rest?

Can anyone help?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/tosh0987/DSCF3230.jpg

Chubbs
26-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi there Tosh and welcome to the forum, its nice to meet you.

To be honest, I'm very new to bushcraft and everything associated with it but I'm sure that one of the regular members will come along soon and help you out.

Cheers Neil

Tosh1
26-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Neil; I ate them anyway; well the leaves; not the stuff to the right of the pic, with a little garlic, olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt 'n' pepper. They were luvverly!!

luresalive
27-07-2012, 10:13 AM
It's very difficult to tell from your pic what they might be, I normally use the whole plant,leaf arrangement,flower and environment to try and ID plants, but at a guess I'd say you have Samphire, Arrowgrass, Sea Aster and Sea Purslane, doesn't look like any scurvy grass in the pic to me..The top right also looks like sea spurge but I can't tell properly and the bottom one could be Saltwort, but without a close look I just can't tell.

Tosh1
27-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks lure, yes, I remember sea purslane. There was another name with a 'spoon' in it for the spoon shaped leaves bottom right. Spoon scurvy or something? My memory eh?

luresalive
27-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Common scurvy grass is sort of kidney or round shaped, (I'll include a pic I took of scurvy grass) but I suppose 'spoon scurvy' could be a local name but it's not one I'm familiar with..

Scurvy grass below

twosmokeforever
03-08-2012, 06:21 AM
top left is marsh samphire, it just makes me think of a trip to the new forest last august bank holiday. there were more mushrooms in the forest than I have ever seen.
sea greens at mudeford and some place nearby with a castle, and the new favourite mackeral wraped in sweet oar weed, maybe stuffed with fennel if you really want to add a bit of taste

I haven't had much joy out of the seven estuary yet (near home), but I should try harder