PDA

View Full Version : Hammock

AL...
22-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Looking at maybe getting a cheep hammock. Ive seen a DD hammock for £15 which I thought was a good deal.
Can some of you Tree dwellers give me some pointers on a cheep but good set up?
I know you get what ye pay for but money is real tight so it could be next year before I get myself one.

Cheers
AL

Kernowek Scouser
22-07-2012, 04:36 PM
It is only a pound and two pennies cheaper, but you can pick up a DD Scout for £9.99 + £3.99 P&P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DD-SCOUT-HAMMOCK-Camping-Hiking-Bushcraft-/221069084932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3378be8904#ht_3079wt_1185

AL...
22-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Looks good mate thanks for the link :)

Cheers
AL

Kernowek Scouser
22-07-2012, 04:57 PM
No worries. I bet if you were prepared to wait long enough, Bushcraftland would do a hammock at some point :D

AL...
22-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Haha!! Aye proubley at Christmas time :happy-clapping:

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
22-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I was always a ground dweller Al but after my first night in a hammock I am defiantly converted, best nights sleep I have ever had "go for it mate", and at £9.99 It's not much to lose if you don't like it !!
Cheers Bri

AL...
22-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Is that the same one as you have Bri?

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
22-07-2012, 06:45 PM
No AL I bought the DD travel hammock / bivi so if I were out on the moors and there were no trees I could still use it to sleep in / on whatever !! They are comfy tho AL I was really surprised, I hope to get out this week if the weather holds It's damn hot
hear at the Mo. Cheers Bri

AL...
22-07-2012, 06:54 PM
I'll have alook at that Bri Thanks

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
22-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I would recommend it AL as it has a good midge net on it, if I lived a bit closer you could try mine!!

AL...
22-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Aye that would have been a blast lol maybe next year I will try and get over your way mate

Cheers
AL

Martin
22-07-2012, 08:12 PM
The DD Scout hammock won't be large enough for an adult. It would be fine for a scout though. ;)

Martin

biker-bri
22-07-2012, 08:24 PM
The DD Scout hammock won't be large enough for an adult. It would be fine for a scout though. ;)

Martin
How many scouts do you know that are 6ft and weigh 100kg,:confused2:

Martin
22-07-2012, 08:31 PM
My daughter has a DD Scout hammock, and there's no way I'd have a comfortable night's sleep in it. In fact, she's fourteen and we're thinking about getting her something larger for comfort. I know the DD site says '6ft and 100kg'.

It also says:

"The DD Scout Hammock is great for Scouts/Cadets and children who enjoy camping. Slightly smaller and more basic than our other hammocks, it is also very light weighing only 600g..."

I'd go for one of the others for adults mate. :)

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
22-07-2012, 08:31 PM
True, but it depends on the size of the adult, I'm 5"8' and a bit, had a go in on and it was fine.

It doesn't have a midge net and comes with 'lighter' webbing, but it does still have the double layers, so you could cocoon yourself if you really wanted to.

I also know a salad dodging ex army bloke, who sleeps under his basha with a scout (hammock) and he reckons he always wakes up happy (easy!) so definitely a good, cheap, lo-tec option for the vertically challenged IMO
T^

But each to their own, if it is too small for some folks, it is their own fault for not being a shortie :D

biker-bri
22-07-2012, 08:52 PM
It does what it says on the tin!!. Although I would have to agree with Martin, not because he's a moderator or anything like that you understand :) it's just cos I'm a creep really:ashamed:

Martin
22-07-2012, 08:58 PM
lol, no one normally agrees with me so no need to start now.

Just speaking from personal experience, but each to his own. I'm almost exactly 6ft and 100kg and I wouldn't spend a night in one. :)

Martin

AL...
22-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Emmm I think I'll think on it :confused2:

Cheers
AL

biker-bri
22-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Go with the traveller AL it's got a midge net on - all in good fun. Cheers Bri

jus_young
23-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I was going to suggest Tenth Wonder but they seem to be on holiday now. They have some very reasonably priced gear and I am looking at getting a couple of there lightweight hammocks to see how good they are. Going to have to wait now...

voipmonkey
26-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I agree I looked at tenth wonder before buying the dd scout . I am 5ft 10 and I fit in it just. Would not like to sleep in it though . The dd stuff is really well made so I bought a dd but head over to www.youtube.com/user/51foxy .
He loves his tenth wonder stuff and show the hammocks and tarps ..
Good luck still to spend my first night out cant wait !!!
Mark

Martin
26-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Another option, worth looking at is Ticket To The Moon. My friends, Matt & Phil, both have TTTM hammocks and love them. Do a google and you'll find them.

Martin

biker-bri
26-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Just checked their site Martin, very bright and cheerful - makes a nice change from the standard green ones we seem to get over hear, the only thing that lets them down is the price, 11ft X 11ft tarp 75 USD + 20 USD postage = £61.00. I think I will stick with DD for now. I still like them tho, I can Imagen myself drifting off to sleep on the beach in sunny Rhyl with greensleves drifting through the air from the local ice cream van, the smell of chicken tika masala wafting over me from the Indian takeaway,the babble
of noise from the bingo halls and the wail's of the children as their parents take them from the bouncy castle and head for the nearest pub.:)
Cheers Bri

Martin
26-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Just checked their site Martin, very bright and cheerful - makes a nice change from the standard green ones we seem to get over hear, the only thing that lets them down is the price, 11ft X 11ft tarp 75 USD + 20 USD postage = £61.00. I think I will stick with DD for now. I still like them tho, I can Imagen myself drifting off to sleep on the beach in sunny Rhyl with greensleves drifting through the air from the local ice cream van, the smell of chicken tika masala wafting over me from the Indian takeaway,the babble
of noise from the bingo halls and the wail's of the children as their parents take them from the bouncy castle and head for the nearest pub.:)
Cheers Bri

Ha ha, you paint such an attractive picture. :D

Martin

AL...
26-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I wanna pint of what he's havin ..... Or get the Doc to change my drugs !! :happy-clapping:

Cheers
AL

GwersyllaCnau
26-07-2012, 02:18 PM
the beach in sunny Rhyl with greensleves drifting through the air from the local ice cream van, the smell of chicken tika masala wafting over me from the Indian takeaway,the babble of noise from the bingo halls and the wail's of the children as their parents take them from the bouncy castle and head for the nearest pub.:)

My memories of Rhyl exactly... apart from the sun:confused2:

Kernowek Scouser
26-07-2012, 03:12 PM
They have sun in Rhyl now? Never had it when I was a lad.

Dull over cast sky, the stink of vinegar everywhere, desperate pleas from some children to go to the sun centre, instead of the fair (again) and the ever weakening banging on car windows (from the inside) of other kids, whose folks had popped off for a swift bevy and left them in the car.

Ah Rhyl, how I miss you :D

You decided on a hammock then fella?

biker-bri
26-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Its posh in Rhyl now, you get a little wooden fork with your something n chips and a napkin with your burger which says please dispose of carefully nice init.
To be honest I haven't been to Rhyl in years, I know they have done a lot to clean the town up to attract more visitors but its reputation will live for a long time. Anyway:off-topic:so I had better move on Bri

Kernowek Scouser
26-07-2012, 08:09 PM
:off-topic:Rhyl posh? You'll be claiming there is point to Llandudno having a pier next!:off-topic:

Back on to Hammocks, these aren't the cheapest, but the fella who makes them is a good egg and if you are having a general looksee, then it doesn't hurt to include them in your investigations.

UK Hammocks (http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/category_2/Hammocks.html?sessid=ZEJSwwOQTfg8qE67NciFlrVOveYoC 2Gv1vJBcuLRsEQjqV0XJ1ZMUDambVdWUX0D&shop_param=cid%3D%26)

Good luck

AL...
26-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Just had a look at that link and it bounced me offline lol

Cheers
AL