PDA

View Full Version : Snugpak Under Quilt Hanging !!!

voipmonkey
12-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi Guys

wanted to see if anyone has a good way to hang a Snugpak underquilt under my DD frontline hammock?

seen a few things on the good old you tube, just wondered what everyone else on here does?

i see the quilt has lots of bungies and sewn in tabs???

HELP !!!!!!

Mark

Martin
12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I just gather up the bungees at each end and tie them to a small carabiner. I then clip the small carabiner onto the large carabiner on the hammock. Having said that, since I've moved onto whoopie slings with a stainless steel ring, I attach the small carabiner to that. I never have to undo it, it just fits into the stuff sack with the under quilt.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Martin

voipmonkey
16-07-2012, 01:51 PM
thank martin
need to go play in the woods with all the kit i guess and see what works for me :) i also have whoppie's and was going to use them without the loop :confused2: so will see what i come up with.
Mark

garethw
16-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi there
I've used it with success on the DD Travel equipped with whoopies. I do as Martyn says gather up the elastic shock chord on a mini biner, by just doing simple over hand loops in each strand of chord, at the required length, the same at both ends. I then add a prussik loop to the whoopies at each end, climbing style. I can then clip the mini-biners into the prussik and tension it as I want along the whoopie sling.
Works very well. I've found I can get it just right for even minus temps. I slept out with a British army arctic bag used upside down as a top quilt, and the Snugpak underquilt set up as above to -6°C in January and was snug as a bug in a rug!!

Now even in summer I use the underblanket even if I don't need a sleeping bag. Oftne just the fact that you are insulated underneath makes you warm enough.
Its a very quick and practical way to set up the UQ, it takes literally seconds.

I tried it recently on my newly acquired Warbonnet Blackbird and it works fine too...

cheers
Gareth

voipmonkey
16-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the post Garath.
was thinking of doing just as you said :) need to just get out there now and find me some woodland ;)
Mark

garethw
16-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the post Garath.
was thinking of doing just as you said :) need to just get out there now and find me some woodland ;)
Mark

Go for it Mark, once you've hammocked in warmth and comfort you'll not want to go back to ground. I don't even want to go back to my bivvy and bedchair for carp fishing.. but have to when there aren't enough trees.
Hammock & tarping is to my mind, (after a life time of camping out), the best way ever for being comfy... also my latest set up is only 2.5kg (minus the UQ & sleeping bags that add an extra 3kg... but I'd need either an mat and/or sleeping bag anyway).

Hammock & tarp fit in my LA Sting side pocket. Sleeping bag and UQ fit inside, but leave loads of room for clothes and food.

Hope it goes well for you...
cheers
Gareth

AL...
16-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Its something I would love to have ... maybe next year :D

Cheers
AL

voipmonkey
17-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Go for it Mark, once you've hammocked in warmth and comfort you'll not want to go back to ground. I don't even want to go back to my bivvy and bedchair for carp fishing.. but have to when there aren't enough trees.
Hammock & tarping is to my mind, (after a life time of camping out), the best way ever for being comfy... also my latest set up is only 2.5kg (minus the UQ & sleeping bags that add an extra 3kg... but I'd need either an mat and/or sleeping bag anyway).

Hammock & tarp fit in my LA Sting side pocket. Sleeping bag and UQ fit inside, but leave loads of room for clothes and food.

Hope it goes well for you...
cheers
Gareth

me too. for the first hang going to use my good old sleeping bag i think with underquilt should be nice and warm (I Hope) seen these fancy top quilts but not sure if they are worth it? any thoughts...

Mark

garethw
17-07-2012, 03:53 PM
me too. for the first hang going to use my good old sleeping bag i think with underquilt should be nice and warm (I Hope) seen these fancy top quilts but not sure if they are worth it? any thoughts...

Mark
Most of the top quilts seem to be just centre zipped sleeping bag type affairs without the zip... I found a couple of centre zipped bags, one light for summer use, and a heavy down one for winter... I use them upside down as top quilts, but if for some reason I can't use a hammock, or need to sleep at a mates, or where ever I have a perfectly good sleeping bag.
I've found that used upside down these bags allow you to slip your feet into the foot end and tuck them under you.. I often pull the hoods up over my face to keep the light out in the morning.

cheers
Gareth

Martin
17-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I also just use my sleeping bag as a top quilt. In fact, I haven't zipped my bag in my hammock in any weather for a couple years.

Martin

cuppa joe
17-07-2012, 07:13 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNUGPAK-HAMMOCK-QUILT-OLIVE-/390441457695?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item5ae81fd81f

Martin
17-07-2012, 07:58 PM
It'll be interesting to see what that finally goes for. I reckon it will be north of £50.

Martin

cuppa joe
17-07-2012, 08:24 PM
yeah I watch this kind of thing all the time and they either go for next to nothing because they are listed wrong or they get twenty bids in the last thirty seconds and go for a good price.
I have had some real bargains just by knowing my camping ,outdoors stuff.
A brand new Carinthia defence 4 £15 ,Karrimor Jaguar 75 in mint condition £10 , Snugpak merlin 3 £5 , Phoenix mountaineering goretex bivi bag £10 , British army self inflating mat £5.

jus_young
17-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm another for the unzipped bag when in the hammock. Thought I would try it last time I was out and found it so much more comfortable as there was less constriction and I could regulate my heat a lot better. Didn't have the bother of zipping/unzipping routine when needing to inspect the back of a tree during the night either. I keep the bottom of the bag partially zipped to form a foot box that helps to keep everything in place and the feet nice and toastie.

jus_young
17-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Where the hell does all this Snugpak stuff come from as its never on their site?

voipmonkey
19-07-2012, 04:00 PM
most of the snug pak stuff is made by them for other distributors. got my underquilt from dd hammocks and it is nice. would love a matching set but i agree i think this will go for a bit maybe have a bid to boost the price up a bit :)

AdrianRose
19-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Nick from DD Hammocks let gslip to me a while ago that they are possiblgy ezastopping selling snugpak under quilts as they make no real profit margin on them. çh

Instead they are going to look at manufacturing an under quilt themselves.

Non of this is cofimed yet tho.

All the best

Ade.

Kernowek Scouser
19-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Kind of on topic.

My recently acquired poncho liner marries up very nicely with a DD Frontline. Haven't give it a proper field test yet, so it may prove to be pap, but at a quarter of the price of the snugpak, if it does the job, it will have been well worth the punt.

voipmonkey
20-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Kind of on topic.

My recently acquired poncho liner marries up very nicely with a DD Frontline. Haven't give it a proper field test yet, so it may prove to be pap, but at a quarter of the price of the snugpak, if it does the job, it will have been well worth the punt.

let us know if this lovely UK weather ever gives us a break i might also get out. Either way got a camp planed with the scouts in september so all my kit will get a shake down then :) come rain or shine...

Mark

biker-bri
20-07-2012, 11:31 AM
A bit off topic but wouldn't it be a good idea if we could let each other know what we are bidding on? could save each other a few bob and a bit of embarrassment also how many of us are interested in an under-quilt maybe someone could
organise a group buy - just an idea !!

jus_young
20-07-2012, 10:19 PM
A bit off topic but wouldn't it be a good idea if we could let each other know what we are bidding on? could save each other a few bob and a bit of embarrassment also how many of us are interested in an under-quilt maybe someone could
organise a group buy - just an idea !!

May be a good idea but who would be the one to kindly step aside if something was up for grabs?

You wouldn't happen to be going for that underquilt at the moment would you? I keep getting outbid and I was hoping for a bargain! ;)

Kernowek Scouser
20-07-2012, 10:53 PM
I do look at evil bay when on a gear mooch, but I tend not to shop there, as with a bit of googling, I have usually found shiny item that takes my fancy at a comparable price (and often in better nick) elsewhere online or when out and about. I often include specific links to my purchase when available (generic links when not) so anyone interested can have a look at the seller. But have been a bit lazy lately and not really bothered, which is rather remiss of me.

So, I got the poncho liner (http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2224) from Endy's for £21.95 (which for a cheap skate like me is a SMALL FORTUNE!!!) as mentioned it marries pretty well with the DD Frontline IMO, but I have not field tested the combo yet.

If this item is of interest to you and the info I have provided helps you out, grand :D

As always, I have no affiliation with Endicotts, I'm just a happy customer.

biker-bri
21-07-2012, 08:16 AM
May be a good idea but who would be the one to kindly step aside if something was up for grabs?

You wouldn't happen to be going for that underquilt at the moment would you? I keep getting outbid and I was hoping for a bargain! ;)

:evilgrin: That would be telling now wouldn't it:innocent:
err no I'm not bidding on anything at the moment - lack of funds due to buying loads of knife bits and a new camera. Christmas came early ;) but it's my birthday soon:wink:

voipmonkey
21-07-2012, 11:01 AM
well i am done now ;)

FishyFolk
21-07-2012, 11:58 AM

My secret strategy for that auction site...put bargain item on watch list, and hope nobody else finds it Put in bid in the final minute of expiry....win... :happy-clapping:

Whatever you do, do not bid, before the final moments, that will only drive the price up.