PDA

View Full Version : New pack

voipmonkey
05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Hi guys
After a bit of guidance if I may.
Looking at getting a new pack / bigger pack. Old one had to be binned!!!
I am looking for something that I can use for say a weekend trip 4 days max which I can get my dd frontline hammock, under quilt ,tarp, cooking stuff food and all the other good stuff.
Looking for general advice before lugging all my kits and trying a few out .
Thanks in advance
Mark

JEEP
05-07-2012, 02:14 PM
If I were in the market for a bigger pack atm, I would go for a Tatonka Kimberly 60; http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/php/artinfoe.php?1405_Kimberley%2060

Imho. it has everything going for it:

1. Rock solid and extremely comfortable V2 carrying system. I know, I have used this system myself.
2. Top shelf materials
3. The correct amount of details and extras; enough to be convenient, but not enough for it to be confusing and fragile
4. Stunning looks!
5. A fair price

I would probably add a couple of side pockets as well; http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/php/artinfoe.php?3303_Side%20Pocket or even, some axe sized ones; http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/php/artinfoe.php?3304_Expedition%20Side%20Pocket :)

JonnyP
05-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Big packs.. I like my Berghaus cyclops roc. Getting harder to find now, but there is a couple on ebay..

Martin
05-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Yup, like JonnyP says, Berghaus Cyclops. Mind you, it weighs quite a bit. You don't say how far you're planning on carrying this new pack.

Martin

FishyFolk
05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Big packs.. I like my Berghaus cyclops roc. Getting harder to find now, but there is a couple on ebay..

There will be more. I think the Norwegian army had them for a while, and now they are turning up in Army surplus stores :-)

comanighttrain
05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
if you can do ultratight/light then the osprey mutant 38 is pretty good!

jus_young
05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Osprey Exos 46 is another light one but you may find it a little limiting on space. I believe a larger 56 (ish) is available that may do you ok. I love the Exos, did a good 5 hours through woodland and over rough ground today with it loaded up - hammock, tarp, 2 days food, meths, honey stove, 2 litres of water etc etc and kept forgetting that I had the pack on

Martin
05-07-2012, 09:14 PM
I have the Exos 56 which is a great pack and, like Jus says, very very light. I can carry all my kit, including my tent, for three days out with no problem at all. On the down side, it's not cheap. :(

Martin

voipmonkey
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Hi guys thanks for replies the pack jeep suggested is very nice but a bit steep on price . The exos 58 look more like it on price at around 120 gbp
Says has a frame on it? Had bad experiences with frame packs? Or is this one better.
Mark

jus_young
05-07-2012, 10:06 PM
The frame is a thin lightweight ally bar that runs around the top and two sides to give some rigidity to the pack and support a mesh back panel. Its hard to explain really but its not your usual kind of frame

Have a look at this vid, its based on the 46 that I have, but the theme follows for the larger pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILKDzXPbj4

Martin
05-07-2012, 10:12 PM
I've never felt the frame whilst I'm walking. I find it a very very comfortable pack but the only way to be half way sure is to go to a shop and try it on. Alternatively, buy from Taunton Leisure on line and if you don't like it you can send it back. I got mine from Taunton Leisure and the customer service has been first class.

Martin

garethw
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi guys
After a bit of guidance if I may.
Looking at getting a new pack / bigger pack. Old one had to be binned!!!
I am looking for something that I can use for say a weekend trip 4 days max which I can get my dd frontline hammock, under quilt ,tarp, cooking stuff food and all the other good stuff.
Looking for general advice before lugging all my kits and trying a few out .
Thanks in advance
Mark

Hi Mark,
Check out the Lowe Alpine Sting. Absolutely brilliant pack, really comfy to wear and loads of room for all your gear.
I got mine at thexmod online store for £78 as an unissued model. OD are now nigh on impossible to find, so you'd have to live with DPM.
You can get previously issued ones in varying conditions cheaper but at the price I paid can't see why I'd go second hand.
cheers
Gareth

Humakt
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
If it was me I'd get some kind of Molle pack. Which one exactly depends on your budget.
I prefer the versatility of the Molle system.

Sar-ian
07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi Mark, for me it has to be the army surplus plce bergen, it has a large main compartment approx 100 litres, with an inner and outer zipped top pocket, a metal frame, well padded shoulder and waist straps. With the added advantage of removable side pouches that can be zipped together to form a day sack using a yoke. They are bomb proof and reasonably cheap, there are loads on ebay or through army surplus ( get the genuine one, not the imported ones as the quality is not as good). What I did was bought extra pouches and divided my kit, so one pouch contains my cooking kit, one has my food supplies, one has waterproofs and extra clothing, etc. think of it like the main bergen is thunderbird two, and the you just fill it with the pouches you need, and you can customise the contents. I'm sure there are a few ex-forces guys on the forum that have more experience and able to offer more advice. They are in two sizes long or short back, I bought mine a good few years ago pre-owned, and its still going strong, the only downside is they are not fully waterproof but I use builders rubble sacks and that works, hope this helps......

voipmonkey
17-07-2012, 03:14 PM
thanks for tall the replies guys
I am liking the Exos 58 from all your suggestions !!! going to have a look see at the weekend if i get a mo :)
Mark

jus_young
17-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Good choice imho. Definately been impressed with my Exos 46 to date.

voipmonkey
19-07-2012, 04:01 PM
just got to find one for a good price now :( taunton leisure seems to be the cheapest. might nip to local shop first though to get them to measure my back and try a few on before an internet purchase?