PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Fire Torch

happybonzo
30-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Good little video of a Swedish Fire Torch (?) - at least that's what it's called in the video

LINKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRovJ1KcCg&feature=youtu.be)

rosseveritt
30-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Interesting, not seen that method before. Seemed to work though. One to try I think. Thx for sharing that. :)

FishyFolk
30-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Used that method a few times. handy in the winter when you just wanna make a brew :-)

AL...
30-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Used it here too a few times . Works great

Cheers
AL

happybonzo
30-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I've seen it done where you make a few cuts with a chainsaw but thought this was quite well video'd

Likantropo
23-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Excellent! Thanks for sharing!T^

fish
23-09-2012, 08:24 AM
nice vid,ive allways known them as gypsy stoves,if you require more stability simply bury the first 4 inches or so.

Jason
23-09-2012, 12:33 PM
"Excellent" Thanks for sharing !!

Bernie
04-06-2014, 07:39 PM
I saw these recently in Chur, Switzerland for sale in a petrol station though they claim they're Finnish. I presume you have to leave the forecourt before lighting them :P

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gUduZn8ZNQk/U49qJhxTyZI/AAAAAAAAUTI/aLaX8WgMCSQ/w381-h676-no/IMAG5214.jpg

They cost CHF 26.90, which is £17.94 Sterling for the big one on the left. "A fool and his money are soon parted." I thought. ;) (The woods around there are littered with pine trees that've come down due to wind or snow.)

David_JAFO
05-06-2014, 11:39 AM
hello,
That's what I recall this method as. Thanks for the heads up & reminder :wink:
Regards
David

nice vid,ive allways known them as gypsy stoves,if you require more stability simply bury the first 4 inches or so.

knutjob
07-01-2015, 08:55 PM

A small log candle (or whatever other name it is known by) that I did the other week out of some larch.

Traditionally were made in conifer plantations I believe.
1 for cooking on. 2 heat. 3 light. 4 prevention of deep litter/root fires on the forest floor.

Great use of conifer/pine logs.

Apologies for the sideways photo.

OakAshandThorn
08-01-2015, 05:05 PM
I've heard them called Finnish Candles, Swedish Stoves, and Swedish Fire Logs. They are also excellent in deep snow ;).
I tried this out 2 winters ago using an Eastern Red Cedar (a Juniper) split into quarters and lashed together at the bottom with bittersweet vine - worked very nicely and the fire lasted a long while :).

knutjob
08-01-2015, 07:51 PM
OakashandThorn, like the idea of binding the bottom up with vine once split. I have always done mine with a chainsaw. Will have a go at the split and tie method at some point.
Not tried cooking on one yet. Will have to try that too. Bbq style with some hot smokeing with juniper foliage maybe.

OakAshandThorn
08-01-2015, 08:40 PM
OakashandThorn, like the idea of binding the bottom up with vine once split. I have always done mine with a chainsaw. Will have a go at the split and tie method at some point.
Not tried cooking on one yet. Will have to try that too. Bbq style with some hot smokeing with juniper foliage maybe.
You can also just stick the splits into the snow (or ground if it's soft enough), but the vines keep everything together nicely. They are a joy to cook on, very little tending needed. :)

TarHeelBrit
09-01-2015, 06:31 AM
Our local grocery store has them for $9.99 handy if you're lazy but want a fire outside in the pit.

David_JAFO
10-01-2015, 02:49 PM
hello,
We've been practicing this method in recent times & as part of Winter Survival fire lighting :campfire: Received a huge bag of tinder recently from our local Butchers/Fruit & Veg stall (family business) gave me a bag of fine shredded wood, looks more like harsh straw but finer, bundled holds together like a birds nest in handfuls, & tinder dry. So that was stuffed between the split logs we took along for the demo, one strike from the fero rod instant ignition followed by tending to the fire with small pieces of dry twigs accumulated on a firewood scavenge, then stored under a tarp for use during the night. Slept over night in our new borrowed US Mil squad tent. When I say borrowed with intent to return later :evilgrin:
Regards
David

IbrahimSheikh
27-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Oh, Its an innovative design done for fire torch.

Woody
26-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Cool stuff