PDA

View Full Version : advice first time wild camping

sojot
29-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi,

I am 38 year old male looking for some advice if possible

I don’t no whether this the right forum but coming year i want to do some wild camping for the first time. I have been interested in this for quite sometime but never got around to actually going for, it because i have not been able to convince anyone to come along. So i have decided to go for it this year on my own.
I obviously dont have any experience (I have only ever done normal camping, and camping when night fishing)
First time i was thinking of Dartmoor. I want to stay for two days (one night) and do a fair bit of walking obviously.
Any feedback on the following would be very much appreciated.
- What would be the risks going by myself? (only my wife would no my route i think)
- What would earliest in the year in should schedule this for? (temperature wise)
- Minimum equipment that i should buy.
- Any pointers on good routes to walk in Dartmoor?

Comptona
29-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I am pretty new to this myself and I contacted a local landowner to let me practice. I certainly would not reccomend dartmoor for a first attempt. I was quit disturbed by the effect of having little knowledge and its effects on my weekend. I also wouldnt leave my wife as the only one who knows where you are, her first port of call will be the life insurance policy, lol,.

I am sure you will get plenty of opportunity and willing helpers on this site to get you started. It would help if we knew your location because you never know whats round the corner.

Tony1948
29-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Dont get eaten by the bears

sojot
29-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I am sure you will get plenty of opportunity and willing helpers on this site to get you started. It would help if we knew your location because you never know whats round the corner.

Thanks for the reply, I live in Berkshire

"

JonnyP
29-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Go for it..
Plan your route well (you can have just as much fun planning a route). Study the terrain on a good map. Pick your overnight location well. Let people know your start time and estimated finish time, just in case it all goes Pete Tong.
Kit wise.. You have to carry it, so the more you pack, the heavier it will be..
Dartmoor is a great place to wild camp, but do not underestimate the place. If the mist comes in, it all looks the same and your navigation skills will be tested..
For a two day trip, you could start at somewhere like Okehampton and head South, picking up a few Tors on route. I did that a few years back. We got to a pub between the North and South Moor, had a few jars, and then went and found a spot to kip the night, and headed back to the car in the morning.
Make sure the Military are not active when you go (details on your map of the area). Walking on the moor can be very hard on your legs if you get into boggy areas, so allow for longer times to get to your destination.

comanighttrain
29-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Top tip. Get a bivvy bag and a thermal blanket (reflective metallic sheet).

Don't get a camoflage bivvy bag get a bright orange one like this http://www.ronniesunshines.com/nato-survival-bivi-soldiers-cadets-p-1060.html.

Thermal blanket here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-Mountain-Thermal-Blanket-Silver/dp/B000SQEDM2

If the weather moves in throw the bivvy bag over yourself - itll keep you dry and youll be visible. Also keeps you warm.

If the cold weather really hits throw up the bivvy and the put on the blanket.

I am enthusiastic about these bits of kit because they are small, cheap and could have stopped a lot of deaths/near deaths in the highlands. Don't under estimate the value of <£10 worth of kit.

sojot
29-12-2010, 05:25 PM
thanks very much gents much appreciated

paul standley
29-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi, A few more tips that you might consider...

Think about your stove or fire and your meals - will you cook or use dehydrated foods - there is a difference between boiling water for a cuppa and a dehydrated pre-preapared meal or a pot noodle and cooking meat, potatoes and 2 veg. My recommendation would be to start simple for one night out and go for the boiling water option and use dehydrated meals or ready pkt meals that you leave in the foil bag and pop in a pot of water to heat up. If your not confident about a fire then go for a meths stove system to start with (easy & cheap) or a small gas canister stove (also cheap). A small billycan type pot with a lid will serve as both a saucepan and kettle.

Light - An LED headtorch is a good idea, you can pick them up for a few pounds and they are great because they leave both hands free and can be used as tent light as well.

Safety -In addition to what's been suggested already, If you are going onto Dartmoor or similar teraine then take an emergency whistle and know how to use it in an emergency and don't rely on your mobile phone in the event of an issue as the signal can be variable. Whatever the time of year, check the local weather before your trip and on the day and be prepared for a wet trip. Don't over-estimate how far you can walk with a loaded pack. If your solo wild camping you will need to pay attention to assessing risks when you are out, even silly things like crossing water, climbing steep tracks, using a knife etc take on a different perspective if you have a problem and you are alone. Think about your "back-door" plan - what's your get out quick plan if you have trouble.

Take a first aid kit as a must.

Cost - Don't invest a shed load of money on kit until you know you like wild camping... might want to consider borrowing some kit initially whilst you do your first couple of trips and this will help you to decide what kit you want/need.

Paul.

Martin
29-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey Sojot, I would say go for it. Check out my recent trip to Dartmoor which I hope helps you a bit.

Dartmoor-3-Day-Solo-Expedition (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?156-Dartmoor-3-Day-Solo-Expedition)

If you've never done anything on Dartmoor before, be very vey careful and make sure you are proficient at map reading, although of course you can camp pretty close to the car.

Depending on your kit, you can camp there all year round, but I would suggest that May till September give you the best chance of some decent weather and, of course, longer days with which to enjoy the beautiful surroundings. :)

Oh, and if you're looking for company, I'm always up for a couple of days walking on the moor. ;)

Martin

Mouldsy
29-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I would recommend you get a good quality sleeping bag like the Brit army Arctic bag, you can pick them up for about thirty quid on Ebay, they are a bit bulky and heavy but they are worth every ounce, also the gortex bivvy bag, I would not recommend the orange survival type bags, I have had personal experience of these and the only thing they are good for are signalling people if you are in trouble, Lure's and I were on a course in Scotland last year and there was a reporter who was there as well. She didn't follow the kit list and brought one of these type of bags instead of the gortex type, she had a very cold night as when you are in one of these things you sweat, long story short, she had put every piece of clothing she had with her on and was still cold because she started to sweat more inside her orange survival bag, I'm not slagging her of she had no experience but she did have a very rough night because she had the wrong kit. I am sure you would need a good nights sleep to get to your destination the next day, It's not like here were if you get lost anywhere in Ireland just shut your eye's spin round three times and start walking you are bound to come across a pub within about a mile. No matter what you do mate stay safe and enjoy it.

JonnyP
29-12-2010, 08:19 PM
It's not like here were if you get lost anywhere in Ireland just shut your eye's spin round three times and start walking you are bound to come across a pub within about a mile.

Thats it.. I am coming over..
You guys do pasties over there..?

Mouldsy
29-12-2010, 08:25 PM

No only spud's and a lot of Guinness.

luresalive
29-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Yep, get an orange plastic bag, get some free hypothermia!!!

Celt_Ginger
30-12-2010, 08:10 AM

Come over any time you like Jonny. I'll make you a special Pastie and I'll even throw in the odd origional quote as well.

Celt_Ginger
30-12-2010, 08:20 AM
As far at solo camping is concerned, think about your primary needs. Shelter, warmth, water and food. Prioritise each of these according to the season (eg. shelter is not so high a priority in Summer as it is in Winter) Plan your route and make sure some people know where you intend to go.

Kai1980
30-12-2010, 02:32 PM
erhm why a orange bivibag?
when your wildcamping to point is not to get caught, if you do want to get caught, buy a orange bivivag ><

comanighttrain
30-12-2010, 02:44 PM
erhm why a orange bivibag?
when your wildcamping to point is not to get caught, if you do want to get caught, buy a orange bivivag ><

We don't have that problem here in Scotland :P our problem is with people who get stuck on the hills then either die from hypothermia. An orange Bivvibag will hopefully keep you warm plus the mountain rescue will find you... a green bivvibag just kind of blends in but a orange/yellow bivvi can be spotted by a helicopter.

As I remember the area where the chap will be walking is easy to get lost in...

Celt_Ginger
30-12-2010, 03:14 PM
As long as people remember that an Orange Bivi bag has an intended use. If you find yourself in an Emergency situation like getting injured or lost, then I'd rather have it with me than have it sitting at home. You may indeed be cold in a survival bag, but you may also freeze outside of one. It will at least keep the rain of you and, as we all know, wet and wind will chill you really quickly.
As an aside, the Reporter Mouldsy was talking about that got cold at Backwoods Survival School hadn't eaten, hadn't drank much and was also using a Summer sleeping bag inside a plastic survival bag. I was there too and had a good chat with her about it the next day. Her coldness was due to a number of things (for example, a number of layers of tightly fitting clothing with no air space between them) and not just due to using a plastic survival bag.

Kai1980
30-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I know the use in emergency but still, my bivibag is camo and i will be travelling all over the place, hypothermia is easy prevented with the proper gear.

But then again, he did stated he is a beginner so it might be smart yeah.

comanighttrain
30-12-2010, 03:27 PM
As an aside, the Reporter Mouldsy was talking about that got cold at Backwoods Survival School hadn't eaten, hadn't drank much and was also using a Summer sleeping bag inside a plastic survival bag. I was there too and had a good chat with her about it the next day. Her coldness was due to a number of things (for example, a number of layers of tightly fitting clothing with no air space between them) and not just due to using a plastic survival bag.

Aww yeah...if she was in a fat use state she would have been baltic.... I get cold hands and feet in the office when i'm like that that would be hell on exercise. Why wasn't she eating?...silly girl

I have never tried to sleep in my bivvi....might be worth an experiment whilst its still cold!

Celt_Ginger
30-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I know the use in emergency but still, my bivibag is camo and i will be travelling all over the place, hypothermia is easy prevented with the proper gear.

But then again, he did stated he is a beginner so it might be smart yeah.

Ohh I agree that I'd rather have a proper "Breathable" bivi bag but I'd not dismiss the survival bags out of hand.

ghost
30-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I think the point that has to be made on the issue of the orange survival bag is exactly that it is a survival bag!!! It is not something that is intended for use over a long period in normal circumstances. You can buy a better quality of plastic bag in a builders merchants for collecting rubble, difference is it isn't orange hence it wont help when people are looking for you again this is why it is called a survival bag not a bivi bag. If you are heading out with minimal kit one of these orange survival bags will fold up and slip into your coat pocket or side of you rucksack or your map pocket so they are easy and light to carry. Lives have been saved because of these bags if they are used right. Kit dosent cause people to die from exposure the peoples ignorance is what does it. One thing to remember if you are cold and shivering and you wrap a foil blanket around your body, you will basically refrigerate yourself. They are intended to keep the heat in not actually make you warm, you need to warm up first.

ghost
30-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Any feedback on the following would be very much appreciated.
- What would be the risks going by myself? (only my wife would no my route i think)

For your first time out i would test your kit out for a couple of nights closer to home to make sure you are happy with what you have and that you actually need everything you intend to take. have a think through scenarios in your head, the what if this happens type crisis. Make sure your wife actually does know where you are going ie map grids timings etc especially if you are heading onto dartmoor. Take a mobile for emergencies and call in at an agreed time.

What would earliest in the year in should schedule this for? (temperature wise)

If you havent did it before i would advise waiting until the better weather before venturing too far. The real cold weather will be one less thing you have to worry about.

Minimum equipment that i should buy.

This really depends on how long you are going for but heres a rough idea.
Something to sleep in ,sleeping bag goretex( or similar breathable waterproof material) bivi bag.
Something to sleep onThis can be military type foam roll mat or the more expensive inflatable type.
Something to sleep undera waterproof tarp big enough to cover you and your equipment. Some people like hammocks which which usually need trees though some types can be pitched on the ground between 2 poles.
Something to eat with. For me this is a plastic pattern 58 army cup, a 1 litre army bottle and a metal crusader cup it all packs together in a pouch and i add to this knife fork and spoon.
Food whatever you want to take with you depending on how long you are going for.
Water again depends how long you are gong for and what you will be doing i carry a 3 litre camelback and a ceramic water filter kit for purifying water i find.
Cooking There are a variety of stoves out there all will require fuel i use an msr wisperlite which is use with petrol carried in a seperate bottle. you may be able to make a fire for cooking but again it depends how long you are going out for, if you will be staying in one place for a while or moving everyday. fires do also require time and fuel. You may also decide you take cooking pots i just use my crusader for cooking in and eating out of. A lighter and a firesteel are good items also to carry.
First aidA decent first aid kit is a must, do not go for the cheap useless b&Q or poundland or ikea type. Build your own and tailor it to your needs it works better. A foil blanket is a usefull item to add as is the orange survival bag along with a small torch and spare batterys.
Lightcarry a handheld torch and spare batteries as well as a head torch and spare batteries.
Clothing Again depending on when you are going but better looking at it than for it. Layer your clothing base layer mid layer top layer and then waterproof outer. Wool works better than any other fabric for warmth i use a merino wool base layer which keeps you nice and toastie. Modern wicking fabrics are fine but can stink, goretex i find is great if it dosent become water logged, their is also triple point which is better. Cost is a big factor though here. Socks and boots are to me the most important items of clothing. They need to fit properly with out being too tight or too loose. I again advise wool sock stay away from nylon they will rip your feet to bits. Wear a thin pair with a thicker outer pair this will help lessen the development of blisters. If you do feel a hot spot when you are out stop immediately and deal with it dont walk on this is when problems start. Boots again are a big cost item but they are the one item you will be using more than any other. Best advice is speak to someone in an outdoor equipment shop they will know better than i will about the make up and quality, just make sure you try them on with the type of socks you will be wearing before you buy. Hat and gloves i have a lowe mountain hat which is very good for me and i have a pair of lowe mountain gloves for when it gets nippy.

Something to carry it in A rucksack that fits your frame and has a good adjustment on it. Again this is something you need you try before you buy, If you ask at any good outdoor equipment shop they can load a bag up with the weight you want. You can then get it on your back and see how it feels.

The last thing would be a small pocket knife and a small sharpening stone. You dont need a big knife, i have never found them of any use and most who do use them i have found are compensating for something else(only joking knife nuts). I would go for a mora type knife they are cheap and easily concealable in your pack. They can also be easily cleaned.

There are literally thousands if items out there and im sure the good people on this site will add anything i have left out this is just a fraction of some of the things you might need it all depends on what you want to do while you are out, how far you want to go etc.

- Any pointers on good routes to walk in Dartmoor?[/QUOTE]

Its been a long long time since i was on Dartmoor so wont even attempt to help you with this one im sure some who live closer will give you some advice.
I hope i haven't completely confused you mate and what i have included is of some use.

Cheers

Ghost

sojot
31-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Again thanks a lot for the replies. Really a lot of useful information.

Martin
31-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Got to agree with most of what Ghost has to say although, for me, military stuff is generally too heavy to be lugging long distance, I would prefer lightweight versions of all that kit, most of which I'm lucky enough to have collected.

The only thing I would add is that mobile phone signals are dreadful on large parts of Dartmoor. I was extremely concerned that I couldn't phone in at the agreed time on my last trip. The light was fading and I was having to walk a fair distance from my camp to phone my wife so she didn't call for help. Not only that but, when soloing, if you get injured when you're out of signal, you have a big problem. You should carry a whistle to raise an alert using the international distress signal of 6 blasts with a minute delay between each burst of six blasts.

Routes on Dartmoor are too numerous and personal to list, I've been walking up there on and off for 28 years. Why not buy a guide book? Or search on line, there are plenty to choose from. Whatever you decide, make sure you are competent and confident in using a map and compass to navigate. If you aren't then please don't contemplate a solo trip, particularly not during the winter.

Anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
31-12-2010, 04:56 PM
... I don’t no whether this the right forum but coming year i want to do some wild camping for the first time... It certainly is the right forum ;)

... I have been interested in this for quite sometime but never got around to actually going for, it because i have not been able to convince anyone to come along...You might wana put a post on this forum looking for other like-minded folk in your area, I'm sure you'll find someone who will be willing to hook up and camp out.

... First time i was thinking of Dartmoor. I want to stay for two days (one night) and do a fair bit of walking obviously... First thoughts are; try somewhere closer to home, because wild-camping solo can be a bit of a different ball-game at times, it's so much easier with a buddy with you, I wouldn't under-estimate this and would recommend doing it closer to home (giving you the chance to test your ability & test your kit and see what works and what doesn't) before you need to actually depend on it in what can be a unforgiving environment.

The "fair bit of walking" on your own is also potentially a major risk that you otherwise wouldn't have if you had someone else with you. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it but I am saying it's worth thinking about that. Considering that your carrying your home, food, water, cook-system & spare clothes on your back, one wrong footing and a broken-ankle later, next minute your on the floor, not mobile, you can't see anyone from horizon to horizon and typical you've got no mobile-phone reception where you've dropped! - On your own a situation like that can soon turn shitty quick, but even with just one more person with you it changes that scenario completely.

There are plenty of friendly & knowledgeable folk on here that will help you RE kit recommendations, I'll leave it to them, but I look forward to seeing you learn more and letting us know of your experiences. All the best,
:camping:

luresalive
31-12-2010, 05:07 PM
I appreciate what my good buddy http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/winking/winking71.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com) has said on his consecutive posts above, and very comprehensive information it is too, listen to him..But consider a few other items, there are a couple of guys on BB who work in Mountain rescue in scotland and will tell you, to NEVER use an orange bag for sleeping in, yes, good for short periods to keep wind and rain off, but do not consider them a long term solution, the 2 things they recommend above all others as emergency kit are Bothy bags and Blizzard bags..if thats what they use I'd prefer to use their knowledge to my benefit.

JonnyP
31-12-2010, 07:01 PM
For many years, I really wanted to walk the Cape Wrath Trail. Its not a proper recognised walk like the Penine Way, but a trail taken on by a guy called David Paterson. He had walked The West Highland Way, from Glasgow to Fort William in Scotland, and wanted to carry on walking up to Cape Wrath (the most North Western part of the mainland).
He made the trail using mainly old stalker paths, and covers the most remote and wildest part of our Country. He wrote a book about the trip and had to carry all his photography equipment on the trail, so he had to go minimal. His bivvy bag was dustbin liners. lol.. Two parts of the walk, you are totally on your own for three days at a time, with no houses or shops. There are two fairly big rivers to cross too, and if you get the timings wrong and the rivers are in spate, its a big walk to find a bridge. People have died attempting this walk. It 200 miles long and goes across some serious but beautiful Country.
This had (has) appealed to me, but there was no way I was going to try it with a bin liner for kipping in. I was going to carry all my food (water in no problem to be collected on route), so I had to go as light as pos. I thought about just taking the outer skin of my mountain tent, but opted for the Brit army bivvy bag and a very light weight PHD sleeping bag. There was going to be two places I could sleep in luxury on route, the good old Cluanie inn and a hotel in Ullapool, so I was going to give them my estimated time of arrival..
I don't know why I am saying all this.. I guess this thread reminded me of planning the route and that guy sleeping out in the most remote part of this Country in bin liners.
I still have not attempted the trail, but l hope to one day. I love the Western Highlands, and the remoteness of this trip really appeals..

sleeping bags
03-01-2011, 04:09 PM
hi sojot and welcome to the forum, i think dartmoor is a great idea for your first real wildcamp, id suggest starting somewhere like ivybridge at the bottom end of the south moor and taking the puffing billy track upto red lake on your first walk, its an old tramway about 7 miles long and mostly packed stone would be ideal first day hike, you will see a few good spots to camp on your way aswell, (i know of numerous, the south moor was my 1st wildcamp), it also has the benefits of being a well walked cycled track so if god forbid you did get into trouble on your first night as long as you got to the track you could make it to ivybridge in total darkness as long as you take a torch. hope you enjoy your first camp, have fun and as martin said you will find there is lots of people who jump at a jaunt on dartmoor so if you want some company for the first night just ask on here and you will get at least 1 reply.

Scott
03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Where abouts in Berkshire do you live??

sleeping bags
03-01-2011, 04:49 PM
i don t mate i live close to exmouth not far from dartmoor

bigstan
23-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi folks, i lived in Princetown for three and a half years back in the 80,s. The weather up there can turn dangerous in twenty mins. When i still could do so, i used to walk for miles across the moors, alone and with an old chap who had lived up there all his life. Sadly he died a few years ago. I used to know a couple of the Dartmoor Rescue Group and the advice was make sure the local police know you will be out there and dont forget to let them know as soon as you return. Dont forget, plan how long each walk will take, then double it.

CanadianMike
23-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Dont get eaten by the bears

Good advice. Look out for signs like this:

http://www.outdooroddities.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg

nature nut
25-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Make sure you just buy a survival bivy bag and a blanket along with a survival kit including a extensive range of fire lighting equipment. These are just some obvious essentials but do remember to take them, also get two or three flares. It may sound silly but they could also be used for fire lighting. Also any local pubs or search and rescue buildings you should check in giving them a detailed route and pan of where you will be staying in the night. give time zone for when you will arrive back and tell them to raise alarm a desired amount of hours afterward.
Also think of purchasing ray mears bushcraft and book and sas survival. Hope that helps!:D

Dan XF
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Sojot. I live in Berkshire and would be happy to help with advice. Give me a yell. If you've camped out fishing and still have the enthusiasm for going wild camping then you've done ok so far. Tarp and bivi or tent should be fine. Small meths stove and a pot for cooking in and a mug for drinks. Sleeping bag and a bed roll and a rucksack. If you want to make a habit of regular outdoor trips go to Cotswold in Reading and kit up there. Not cheap but I've got kit that's 20 years old and still going strong. They are great for clothing advice too. Helly base layer, fleece mid and a breathable shell are a must have. Or buy a buffalo shirt for a one off layer that does everything. You need a good tent or really good bivi if you want to use a down bag but synthetic bags will still be warm if they get damp. If you want to go over somewhere like the lookout and practice in controlled conditions I can help out.

JonnyP
06-02-2012, 04:22 PM
That sign gave me a giggle Mike.. lol

jus_young
06-02-2012, 09:30 PM
That sign gave me a giggle Mike.. lol

Me too, read it to the wife and even she laughed!

alvino78
11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
LMFAO!!!!! love it

Saxon
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Now that's a proper sign and the message should sink in...:D :D

treefrog
12-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Hey Sojot, hope you get out for some good camping (or WILD camping as you guys say), looks like you got lots of good advice here.
The biggest danger, however, is the fact that you're gonna be hooked on it and you'll be itchin' to get out every weekend!

I see this Dartmoor place mentioned a lot...must be a primo spot...(BTW Martin I enjoyed watching your video diary). Not much advice I can
offer from where I sit over here, just be sure to take some pics and tell us all about the adventure....and Don't get eaten by the Bears...
(did Tony warn you about that already?).

Jack

Edwin
12-02-2012, 11:36 AM
If you live in Berkshire why not do part of the Ridgeway for a start? Parts not churned up by off-roaders are very good walking. Crossed by roads so put in and collection are easy, even served by bus routes. Basic kit will be fine and I believe that there are even water points in some places. Uffington White Horse to Hackpen Hill or even Avebury would be my choice. No need to ask anyone's permission to camp by the side of the track. I envy you that first time, if it is, up on the Downs.

udamiano
12-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I love walking on Dartmoor, but if you're going on your own, make sure you have a route and stick to it. Have a backup plan, and an escape route, and also have a map and a compass, and know how to use them. Don't rely on things like mobile phones as GPS devices, keep them switched of until you need them, have the means to last slightly more than you intended stay, just incase, and wear something that can be seen, not all DPM or such like. Make sure your sleep kit stays dry, try putting it in a waterproof sack inside your backpack, and have the ability to make a hot drink even if it raining cats and dogs.
And the big one! Don't try to tough it out if it gets bad, no one would blame anyone for calling it a day, and getting back home, I've done it plenty of times, a lot of people get into problems because they just think they can tough it out, it's not a test, your there to enjoy yourself.

But most of all enjoy what you're doing, Dartmoor has some fantastic views especially as the sun comes up, and sets.

Enjoy yourself Stay warm, stay safe.

Da

Under My Basha
24-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Sound obvious but keep your mobile phone safe in a waterproof bag and don't let it get cold and drain the battery ( touch screens are shocking for battery life) and always know your map grid just in case.

Good luck and safe trip mate-mick

Silverback
24-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Mick last post on this thread was over a year ago and the original post was 2010.....I think he may have come back by now ;)

Under My Basha
24-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Haha I do hope so or maybe be stayed amongst the nature with a wet phone. Must start looking at thread dates :happy-clapping: