PDA

View Full Version : elderflower cordial

Suba
19-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Out walking t'other day, I came across a bloke collecting Elderflower.
Which made me think of elderflower cordial.
Has anyone got tips on how to make it?
It was suggested to use citric acid bought from the chemist as an ingredient?
I fancy a more natural concoction.
It might be a bit late in the year to collect elderflower, but they seem well in bloom and ready?
:)

Humakt
19-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes, I've made it.
It's very easy - although it takes you back a bit when you see how much sugar goes in!
Try using lemon peel (make sure you don't grate the pith!) for acidity. Even better, use a mix of lemon, lime and orange.
You've certainly missed the best of the elderflowers, but they are still out so worth giving it a go - just add a few more than whatever the recipe you use says to use to make up for the loss of aroma.

Hushwing
19-06-2012, 02:19 PM
You've certainly missed the best of the elderflowers, but they are still out so worth giving it a go.

or come up to slow-on-the-uptake Scotland where they are just forming! :o

(mmm like the idea of mixing lemon, lime and orange - good tip)

AdrianRose
19-06-2012, 04:31 PM
The Elderflowers are only just blooming here in Lancashire. I'm going out collecting for cordial and elderflower doughnuts this weekend.

The problem with citric acid is that a lot of chemists have stopped selling it now because of its association with drug users. Its only really there as a preservative but to be honest the cordial is always drunk long before it gets a chance to go off!

The recipe that I have used for the last few years is:

20-25 elderflower heads
2 sliced lemons
2 sliced oranges
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
3.5 lbs of white sugar
5 pints boiling water

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bucket, stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Cover with a towel to keep the flies out.

Stir 3 times a day for 3 days, then strain into sterilised bottles. Mix one part cordial to 5 parts fizzy water and ice-cubes.

Hope this helps.

Ade

luresalive
19-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Elderflowers are only starting here in Northern Ireland too, best is yet to come!

Martin
19-06-2012, 06:32 PM
They are only just coming out in Cornwall too. We have large trees at work and are only now in full bloom. I was thinking elderflower cordial too. :)

Martin

dave budd
19-06-2012, 06:58 PM
they've been out for a couple or three weeks in mid Devon. I've been meaning to have a go at elderflower champagne for ages (like so many other things that I've not got around to!). Maybe I will get organised for this weekend :)

JonnyP
19-06-2012, 07:11 PM
It must be that time of year.. My Janie just made some and put the instructions on her blog.. http://hedgecombers.com/
The Elder has been in bloom two or three weeks around here

Roadkillphil
20-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm making champagne this weekend with the kids. I didn't make a batch last year and they were gutted we didn't go elderflower picking :( so even though I'm busy as hell, gotta try and squeeze it in somewhere. :D

Suba
24-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice one people. :happy-clapping:
Particularly like Ades recipe without going to the chemists!
It seems a popular brew and not too late in the year, by the sounds of it.
Thanks for the responses chaps.