PDA

View Full Version : Small wind brake

AL...
09-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Aye folks
If this is in the wrong place please move it Mods :D

Im wondering what would be best to make a wind brake for my cooker when out ?
What have you guys used or are using at the moment?
Thanks in advance :campfire:

Cheers
AL

resnikov
09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I got a folding wind brake from a camping shop. Light weight and packs up smallish. At my normal camping site I make a wind brake out of the fallen wood. Knock 2 sets of uprights in and lay more fallen wood between them.

AL...
09-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Aye its the folding type Im looking to make I should have made that clear sorry bout that.

Cheers
AL

resnikov
09-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Think I got it from Winfields or go outdoors. One of the 2. Will dig out a pic or a link when on a PC and not my phone.

Hushwing
10-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm using two of these - which i adapted to join together and wrap right round the stove if I want:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/300703982009?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla but you can buy it cheaper than this particular advert I think.

It's been okay but eventually the wire hooks that act as hinges between the folds do pop out and so i have put longer wires in instead. Also discovered on my recent trip overlooking Jura that if the fire gets too hot round it then the metal goes from being rigid to more foldable like very very thick aluminium foil. I'm now wondering whether it is cheaper and/or easier to get one of those foil wind shields that other have. But this system has as a whole worked pretty well.

resnikov
10-06-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm using two of these - which i adapted to join together and wrap right round the stove if I want:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/300703982009?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla but you can buy it cheaper than this particular advert I think..

Saves my putting a pic up. That's the one I have.:)

AL...
10-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Aye thats kinda what Im looking for ta much .
Has anyone made there own one's from stuff lying about in the shed or workshop?
Be handy to see some pics if you have.

Cheers
AL

Martin
10-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I think this is what you are looking for? If you look somewhere deep in the comments, you will see whose idea this was in the first place. ;)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/kit/reviews/making-a-stove-windshield-budget-bushcraft.html

Martin

comanighttrain
10-06-2012, 07:11 PM
hehe....i usually use rocks, bark, dirt...whatever is nearby

Hushwing
10-06-2012, 07:20 PM
hehe....i usually use rocks, bark, dirt...whatever is nearby

Don't be daft ;) .... you'll never fold those...!

Thanks for the link Martin

AL...
10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Thats the very thing I was looking for Martin :D Thanks mate

Cheers
AL

Martin
11-06-2012, 08:50 AM
It may seem flimsy, but the one I made over a year ago is still going strong. :)

Martin

AL...
11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Aye its fine and light and takes up no room what so ever . Will have to see if I can get down to Wicks or B&Q this week.
Thats gonna do the job great.
Thanks mate

Cheers
AL