PDA

View Full Version : How to best hang a tarp

FishyFolk
08-06-2012, 11:27 AM
First off, i am a ground dweller, no hammock in sight for me.

I just purchased a 3x2 meter tarp. Intended use is as a wind break, or as a rain shelter on day trips. If I spend the night, up comes the tent, as I am in midge paradise...

Anyway, how to best hang this thing in those two roles? (pictures will be nice).

FishyFolk
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Never mind :-)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/images/tarpology/Tarp-Configs1.jpg

Jon D
20-04-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm a newbie when it comes to tarp setups and have been learning a lot from this website but what I haven't seen mentioned is, what is the best rope to use for the Ridgeline? I have plenty of Paracord but I've read that it's prone to stretching when wet. What are peoples thoughts on this and if recommending something other than Paracord, would you please provide a link to where it can be purchased. Many thanks.

Jon D
20-04-2013, 01:20 PM
No worries, I've found some on the DD website. £4 for 12 meters of 6mm.

Psycho
20-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi Jon D.
I also use Paracord to set up my tarp. You could use it with some thin Shockcord. I think that will hold your tarp tight, even if the paracord is getting longer by streching.
(But I'm a newbie, too in setting up a tarp)

FishyFolk
20-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Since I started this thread an Eon ago, I've climbed back into the trees, and swing from a hammock, like any other sensible creature would.
I now use a 4,5x3 m DD tarp, and on my two outings with it I did not notice any significant stretch in my paracord. And those where both heavy snow nights. On the last of them, I had 40 cm of snow in 6 hours. Most of it slid right off my tarp, but it did cause it to be a lot heavier.

In the US (Hammock Forum)I see that they use very thin Zing it line for their tarps, as it does not stretch and is very light to carry. But for me that would just end up ina birds nest night mare. So Para Cord it is for me.

nilo52
20-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Love your new icon Rune!
You now looking much more bushcrafty and tougher. I'm still using a tent though , the idea of a black bear, or even worse, a Grizzly getting underneath me is creepy! In my own experience they have left me alone when I was in my tent. I'm afraid that they would think I was FOOD that hadn't been lifted high enough off the ground LOL.:shocked:

OakAshandThorn
20-04-2013, 09:58 PM
In my own experience they have left me alone when I was in my tent. I'm afraid that they would think I was FOOD that hadn't been lifted high enough off the ground LOL.:shocked:
But you are chewy, a bit crunchy, and great with catsup...plus, you are gift-wrapped for their consumption! :evilgrin:

FishyFolk
20-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Love your new icon Rune!
You now looking much more bushcrafty and tougher.

So thats why the couple out walking their dog in the woods yesterday did not reply when I said hello, just walked past me looking into the ground, and never made eye contact, lol....

suggy
21-04-2013, 04:18 PM
No worries, I've found some on the DD website. £4 for 12 meters of 6mm.

Have a look into making prussic and klemheist stuff. The latter are easier and have more grip in my experience. The klemheist is directional, no big deal to tie one and then mirror it on the other side

If you are using 6mm for the ridgeline you will want something smaller in diameter for them to get the best results. I have cheap bootlaces on one of my paracord ones for instance, (round in profile, not flat ones)

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?Categ=home&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Buy a couple of (non-load-bearing) carabiners, cheap rubbish from your local cheapo tool emporium / poundland etc to connect the klems to you tarp. If you are concerned about stretch, a little loop of shockcord between the tarp and carabiner (probably 5mm stuff from ebay) will keep it taut !

Something along the lines of this pic, if you need it tauter then replace the fatter red part with 5mm bungee / shockcord

have fun !