PDA

View Full Version : One for my wife

Swamprat
27-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, Mrs. Swamprat has been after me to make a knife for her so I fixed this one up for her for Christmas. It is made from an old file that I picked up somewhere. It was pretty heavily rusted and you can still see where I left some of the rust pits in the blade. Thought it would add a little character to the blade. Not to worried about it affecting the strength of the blade as this is meant for a kitchen knife, though I think it could handle some serious bushcrafting chores. It is fairly stout. I will have to get the measurements up later, can't remember off the top of my head.
Anyway, couldn't quite make out the brand of file, the last 5 letters were atkins. and it was also marked silver steel under that. For the handle I used an old bamboo cutting board and a brass bolster. I didn't use pins in the handle for this one. See how it holds up. If it were going to see more abusive use I would have pinned it along with the epoxy. Sorry for the bad pic. Can't find the cord to hook the camera to the computer, so used camera phone.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/IsraelW/photo-9.jpg

Bambii
28-12-2010, 12:14 AM
That's really nice! Did she like it?

Swamprat
28-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Yeah she loves it. Only problem was that I had to go back and make the handle a bit smaller and ended up getting into the epoxy, that's that little dark spot just below the bolster. Not to bad though.

phil41181
28-12-2010, 12:22 AM
nice one m8