PDA

View Full Version : frying pan

northy
16-05-2012, 07:44 PM
hi,this may be one of those questions,what are your thoughts on handy size for frying pans thinking of steel pan.
phil

FishyFolk
16-05-2012, 08:06 PM
The frying pan should be just about the same size as the trout I am catching and vice versa :happy-clapping:

Seriously, i think the standard Trangia siced frying pan fits the bill perfectly for my outdoor cooking needs. But I don't have the measurements.

JEEP
16-05-2012, 08:11 PM
The Trangia Gourmet frying pan is my personal favourite. It is compact, lightweight, the handle folds and it comes with a lid. The sides are tall enough for it to double as a saucepan.

JonnyP
16-05-2012, 08:25 PM
The bigger the more brekky you can get in it :0)
Steel is good, but cast iron is better.. Do not forget to season it properly..

Tony1948
16-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I use a 12in wok with lid when out :camping:

CanadianMike
16-05-2012, 09:27 PM
The bigger the more brekky you can get in it :0)
Steel is good, but cast iron is better.. Do not forget to season it properly..

Atta boy! Get an old cast iron one (like mine) that's big enough to give a bear a headache if needed. BONG!!!!

jus_young
17-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Here is mine

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tefal-1-egg-wonder-frying-pan-12cm/213-9377.prd?skuId=213-9377&pageLevel=&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF__213-9377

It is a fantasticly cheap little frying pan that is lightweight and pretty durable. It may only be called a 'one egg wonder' but I have cooked a breakfast in it, done nice thick burgers and even steaks. The pan does not get cleaned between use on camp as any fat is heated and used for the next meal, but when ready to pack up it is given a quick wash and slipped into a little dry bag to keep it away from everything else.

One of my little projects to do is replace the plastic handle with a wooden one that I 'obtained' at Jonnys last time we met. It came from a broken wooden ladle and will help to keep my hands away from the fire when cooking. I always wanted a little cast iron pan but having used this one a few times now, I don't think I will bother as this does the job and weighs a hell of a lot less :)

Metal mug
17-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Steel is good, but cast iron is better.. Do not forget to season it properly.. Seconded. Cast iron is great - just don't take it on long hikes. :)