PDA

View Full Version : How to make a willow whistle

FishyFolk
16-05-2012, 10:42 AM
This is something every kid in Norway from knows how to make. A willow whistle. It can only be made in spring and early summer when the willow is full of sap.
You can also use a rowan tree for this.

Anyway, here is the video I just made....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JqxGjbyj7c

FishyFolk
16-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Sorry about the dirty lens, and working on making it lighter so you can see what I am doing....

AL...
16-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Lookin good mate :)
I used to make them for the kids Till The wife put a stop to it LOL

Cheers
AL

AdrianRose
16-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I used to make a sycamore whistle for my daughter every year now she makes her own. It's even better because she's only allowed to blow it near my missus!

Lol.

Ade.

jbrown14
17-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I was making a PVC penny whistle this past weekend while my wife and kids were outside and gave my son a short whistle that I had made to experiment with embouchure and windway shapes. He ran around half the day blowing it and driving my wife up the wall. :D

Your little helper is a handsome fella. Thanks for the vid.

Josh.

AL...
17-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Ye can make a smashin Low D whistle out of PVC too .
I had one for a while but it was knicked last time I was in Shetland for the festival. It lives with a real bonnie lass in New York now :D

Cheers
AL

jbrown14
17-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Ye can make a smashin Low D whistle out of PVC too .
I had one for a while but it was knicked last time I was in Shetland for the festival. It lives with a real bonnie lass in New York now :D

Cheers
AL

I was given a low E whistle made from SCH 20 pvc recently, and I think it was waaaaay too expensive. I made an alto G out of SCH 40 for less than the price of a cup of coffee. It lives with me in New York. :D

Josh

El
17-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks I will be trying this lol

AL...
17-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Thats well cool Josh :)
I think I'll stick to playin Bodhran mandolin and guitar lol
Way to much gear to carry to a session as it is
Cheers
AL

sdocherty7
28-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the video. I tried for ages with various local willows, with no success. I gave up for a bit until today, when I tried again with horse chestnut. Rootin tootin first time!! The chestnut is much smoother and harder with a thicker, but easy to pull off bark. So if in Fife this summer and you see a bloke at a festival making chestnut whistles.......say hi!