PDA

View Full Version : Ramsons'n'ravens

ocean1975
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
At the weekend i had the fortune to spend a few hours with Jack Raven Bushcraft in Challock(Kent).Where Gary showed us some wild foods and Nicola cooked us up some lovely wild treats,and after tasting her ramson sauce i wanted to make some when i got back home.So here's my little snack inspired from my visit to jack raven bushcraft.I would definitely recommend a visit to them whether for a course or for one of the workshops they run out off Dunn street farm campsite.
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/ocean1975/Picture1066.jpg
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/ocean1975/Picture1083.jpg

JonnyP
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Looks yummy :0)

jus_young
07-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Now thats just not playing nice. You gave us the pictures but wheres the recipe for the sauce, that looks good enough to give a try :D

ocean1975
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Not a lot to the recipe,
Just pick some ramsons put them into a blender with some olive oil and a drop of vinegar to help preserve it.
Job done enjoy.

El
07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
nice :)

jus_young
07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
T^

happybonzo
08-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Another one for the recipe list - many thanks

Dan XF
08-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Excuse my ignorance on this matter but are ransomes wild garlic?

Martin
08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Excuse my ignorance on this matter but are ransomes wild garlic?

Ramsons are wild garlic. Note that it's ramsons, not ransoms which is far more sinister. ;)

Martin

Dan XF
10-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks martin. So cutting the leaves off a plant and sending them in the post to Kew Gardens demanding payment in used notes or it gets uprooted is not on?

Martin
10-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks martin. So cutting the leaves off a plant and sending them in the post to Kew Gardens demanding payment in used notes or it gets uprooted is not on?

It may just work Dan!! Keep us posted on how you get on. :D

Oh, and I suppose that technically I should say 'Ramsons is Wild Garlic' as it is the name for the plant, not the plural. In fact I guess the plural would be Ramsons Plants??

Martin

JonnyP
10-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Wild garlic is generally as Martin says Ramsons, but its one of the problems (maybe) of using English, or local names as opposed to the Latin names, as I expect many people will also call Garlic Mustard (Jack by the Hedge) wild garlic, or Crow Garlic, or Field Garlic or even Tri Cornered Leek.
They are all garlicy (is that a word..?) and all wild..

AdrianRose
10-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Wild garlic is generally as Martin says Ramsons, but its one of the problems (maybe) of using English, or local names as opposed to the Latin names, as I expect many people will also call Garlic Mustard (Jack by the Hedge) wild garlic, or Crow Garlic, or Field Garlic or even Tri Cornered Leek.
They are all garlicy (is that a word..?) and all wild..

That's a really good point you've made there. Whenever I do a course/day workshop and in my videos I always include the scientific name.

"The garlicks" are a great point in case, wild garlic is not crow garlic in England.

However, I have a friend in Australia who calls Crow garlic "wild garlic".

Whereas Jack-by-the-hedge is actually not a true garlic at all!

If that makes sense!!

British wild garlic/Ramsons = Allium ursinum

Australian wild garlic is crow garlic = Allium vineale

Jack by the hedge/hedge garlic/garlic mustard/sauce-alone = Alliaria petiolata

Hope that make sense.

Ade.

Tony1948
10-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Ya:confused2:

JonnyP
11-05-2012, 07:46 AM
It makes perfect sense and is exactly what I mean, though I see it a bit more local.. The farmer next door to us calls Jack by the Hedge - Wild Garlic, and I have often heard the Tri Cornered Leek around here referred to as Wild Garlic. And I expect some people will call Crow Garlic (also called Wild Onion) - Wild Garlic where it grows in this Country too..