PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter to try new underquilts and tarps

GwersyllaCnau
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I took my son for an overnighter in Troserch woods last night. I had bought a DD 3x3 tarp and snugpak underquilt for each of us. Really impressed with the tarps we can use them in the standard configuration but by using the middle attachment point and sort of turn in into the diamond shape but with doors and it'll still be bigger than the supplied tarp with the hennessy. Woke up half way through the night with a cold butt and changed the way I'd suspended the underquilt, bringing it tighter to the hammock. I still haven't decided whether I prefer the underquilt or a sleep mat. Time will tell. Also not sure whether I prefer a tent or a hammock. Always been comfortable in a tent and I'm struggling to get comfy in the hammock. My feet feel squashed and I get a kind of ridgeline that goes across my calves or ankes, It wasn't really a cold butt that woke me last night but the pain in my ankle.

Anyway the trip went well. Scott carried ALL his own kit and we walked about 3 miles. One mile of that was to a place I wanted to camp but when we got there it had become overgrown and a lot of trees had been blown over last week so we walked back looking for a suitable location beside the river, that took the other approx 2 miles. There is a picnic area that we were going to hang in and found one perfect hang point but the only other suitable trees were about 1 metre too far apart so we went to the other side of the river about 200 yards away. It was lucky we moved from the picnic area as a group of teenagers turned up about an hour before it got dark for a party, to be fair to them they were quiet and didn't disturb us, but they didn't take their beer bottles with them when they left:mad:. Had 'breakfast from the hammock' this morning and packed up while Scott slept, TILL 9:40!!

Here's a couple of photos I took will post a short vid when I edit it.

FishyFolk
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Looks like you had a nice father and son time going there :-)

Martin
07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Nice write up Nut. Makes me want to take my daughter out for an overnighter soon. :)

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Look like you had a grand time fella T^

ian c
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Glad you had a good time with your son and the area looks great, just a shame the teenagers did not take their beer bottles with them when they left.

jus_young
07-05-2012, 08:55 PM
I had that pressure issue with the DD on one occassion. I know the DD were never really designed with the diagonal lay in mind but I hate being all cramped up so set a sag in the hammock to give it a go. The first night was fine but altered the degree of sag for the second night and had the ridge issue making things really uncomfortable. I found that increasing the sag further took that tight area away from the hammock completey and suddenly everything was a whole lot better.
On my last outing with Scout camp I had two good nights sleep in the hammock, except for a deer snagging a shockcord on the first night, and after a few injured Scouts on the final day I decided to spend the last night in a tent that had become vacant as temperatures were plummeting and I hadn't set the hammock up by midnight. Woke up with a backache from hell and everyone laughing as I crawled from the tent struggling to stand up. Not something I would like to repeat and now definately a tree dweller if given the choice.

Roadkillphil
07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Nice location, great to get out with the youguns too. :)

GwersyllaCnau
07-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I had that pressure issue with the DD on one occassion. I know the DD were never really designed with the diagonal lay in mind but I hate being all cramped up so set a sag in the hammock to give it a go. The first night was fine but altered the degree of sag for the second night and had the ridge issue making things really uncomfortable. I found that increasing the sag further took that tight area away from the hammock completey and suddenly everything was a whole lot better.
On my last outing with Scout camp I had two good nights sleep in the hammock, except for a deer snagging a shockcord on the first night, and after a few injured Scouts on the final day I decided to spend the last night in a tent that had become vacant as temperatures were plummeting and I hadn't set the hammock up by midnight. Woke up with a backache from hell and everyone laughing as I crawled from the tent struggling to stand up. Not something I would like to repeat and now definately a tree dweller if given the choice.

Ouch for the Scouts and having a deer struggling to get it's antlers free (if thats what happened) that close to me would care the hell out of me.

The hennessy has a fixed ridgeline so it's not adjustable, next time I go out will try the whoopie slings a bit looser, if that doesn't fix it I may try to shorten the ridgeline to give a deeper sag maybe try one of the whoopie slings as a ridgeline to adjust the sag until it's right. I hope I can sort it out and get a comfy nights sleep after spending all this money on the hammocks and paraphernalia, plus hammocking is so much fun.

Everyone else thanks for the replies!:happy-clapping: