PDA

View Full Version : New Camera - Canon EOS 600D

Ashley Cawley
05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I've bought a new camera - which I'm stoked about! :jumping-joy:

It's the Canon EOS 600D which is a DSLR that shoots full HD (1080p) - this means I can consolidate my two bulky cameras that I carry in my rucksack into just one camera! :) It'll have many other benefits for myself & filming for NaturalBushcraft.co.uk

I've written a blog article about the camera change, it has a slideshow of photos from a evening walk myself & the mrs took to test new camera, have a look @ http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/about-me/woodland-walk-test-for-new-camera.html

I'll post up some of my favs from the walk onto this thread shortly.

Ashley Cawley
05-05-2012, 11:20 PM
*4504 4505 4506 4507 4508

Click to enlarge

* The first photo is heavily cropped which reduces it's quality & detail but I prefer that composition.

Ashley Cawley
05-05-2012, 11:24 PM

Click to enlarge

GwersyllaCnau
05-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Very nice camera Ashley. Wise choice. I looked at that camera myself but have nearly £5000 worth of Nikon specific lenses and flashes so to switch to canon would be a bit expensive. The £5000 isn't a typo

happybonzo
06-05-2012, 04:59 AM
A very nice camera: DP REview were keen on them. I think it's called the Rebel T something in the USA

---

Very nice camera Ashley. Wise choice. I looked at that camera myself but have nearly £5000 worth of Nikon specific lenses and flashes so to switch to canon would be a bit expensive. The £5000 isn't a typo

Try the new Nikon D4 if you get the chance... and no. I don't have one :)

JEEP
06-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Excellent choice! I bought the 500D a few years ago, it has yet to let me down.

GwersyllaCnau
06-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Try the new Nikon D4 if you get the chance... and no. I don't have one :)

Very nice VERY expensive. I do alot of long exposures and I like the way the D700 handles noise even at high ISO I don't get much noise. Some of my exposures are up to an hour long and even then there is virtually no noise. On the rare occasion that I still do a wedding I use my D3 mainly because it's full frame, but I think the D700 is a better camera. I would use the 700 for wedding but there's always someone at a wedding that's an 'expert' and will say 'why are you using a 700 as your main camera and a D3 as a back up?'

As for video, I don't really do that much, only what can be seen on my youtube channel or the website (link in signature) I know its old and not HD but until it breaks I'm not replacing it. It's a Sony DVD DCR202e. Plus I have recently filmed myself shooting a couple of my long exposure night light painting shots and am toying with the idea of an online workshop page on my photography website, so an all in one camera and camcorder would be useless for me but do like that it would save weight and space for Ashley.

Photography website can be found here. (http://mark-anthony-photography.weebly.com/)

JEEP
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
In the end; the camera is just a tool - it is the photographer who creates the photo.

I have never been limited by my equipmemt - only by my own talent :)

Ben Casey
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Cool pics mate I wish I was good at doing pics :)

garethw
06-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Ashley,
Nice little camera and the video it produces it gorgeous. When shooting video with these DSLR's though it is virtually impossible to get a steady shot hand held. A light tripod with a fluid head is to be recommended.

You get a microphone jack on the side of the body, so it would certainly be worth investing in a Rode Videomic to screw onto the hotshoe... it will improve your audio greatly. It comes with a foam wind shield which is ok, but Rode does a furry mic cover they call the dead cat. http://www.rodemic.com/, again these greatly reduce the wind noise you get from an on the camera mic.

There's also a nice lav mic for around £25 by Audio Technica, the ATR-3350 ATR. This is great for interviews, or static pieces to camera, like for your reviews. Good audio makes a massive difference to the quality of the clips.
Stability and audio are more complicated on these cameras, that are not really designed for video, so a bit more care is needed to get the best results.

The flip out screen is a huge improvement on other EOS's, but in bright sunlight it will still be hard to see. Several companies make sun shades for these LCD screens, but its easy to make one from some card or plastic and some gaffer tape...

Enjoy your new camera...

cheers
Gareth

Martin
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I have a Canon EOS 35mm camera with a selection of lenses and filters etc. I even used to do my own colour printing before my daughter came along and I had to convert my dark room into her bedroom!!

Anyway, my daughter is now showing an interest in photography and we were looking at a Canon EOS 60d for her yesterday. I'm glad to say that she is going to pay for it herself, well most of it anyway. Looks like a fantastic camera and will certainly be all the camera she'll ever need.

Martin

garethw
06-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I have a Canon EOS 35mm camera with a selection of lenses and filters etc. I even used to do my own colour printing before my daughter came along and I had to convert my dark room into her bedroom!!

Anyway, my daughter is now showing an interest in photography and we were looking at a Canon EOS 60d for her yesterday. I'm glad to say that she is going to pay for it herself, well most of it anyway. Looks like a fantastic camera and will certainly be all the camera she'll ever need.

Martin
Hi Martin,
As a photographer, I've used virtually every EOS since they models came out in the late 80's, starting with the EOS 650.. We were subsequently supplied over the years with EOS1 & EOS1n, a 5, a 10 , and the ground breaking EOS DCS1 & 2 (the first pro digital bodies made in conjunction with Kodak) and on through to the modern DSLR's 1D,5D, 30D...etc

The 60D is on my short list for a personal camera... (can't afford a 5D & as a freelance I am no longer supplied with my gear). A cracking camera, she certainly won't be disappointed. Body is alloy so more robust than the 600D, also I prefer the wheels on the 60D for adjustments over the buttons. Performance wise its pretty similar to the 600d though.
I really want it as a second video camera, capable of matching my Sony. I think its worth getting the screw on grip and it will hold two batteries and has a second shutter buttons, that lets you shoot vertical shots without having your hand wrapped around the camera.

The good thing is your lenses will all work fine. I still use a 17-35 F2.8 that must be 15 years old.
cheers
Gareth

Martin
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Apparently, my Speedflash won't work though. It's too high voltage and could ruin the camera!! Thank goodness I didn't try that on her new pride and joy!

Martin

garethw
06-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi Martin,
Which model flash do you have? I have the 550EX Speedlite and it works just fine on the 30D...so I guess would be fine on the 60D.
Its the older EZ range that don't work on the newer EOS bodies.

cheers
Gareth

Martin
06-05-2012, 05:13 PM
It's an older one Gareth, goes on my old 35mm Eos 50. The guy in Jessops yesterday told me it wasn't compatible. I'm not sure which model it is but maybe it's time for a new one for her anyway. TTL flash metering must be far better than it was 15 plus years ago. Oh, and I suspect that new flashes are considerable smaller than mine for better light output.

Martin

JEEP
06-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I can highly recommend the Metz 50-AF-1 Digital. I have had the older model 48 for a few years - it has yet to let me down. They are cheaper than the original Canon flashes, but the quality is very much comparable.

http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pages/metz50AF1.html

Martin
06-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I believe that Metz flashes have long had a good reputation. When she gets her camera I'll bear it in mind. :)

Martin

jus_young
06-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Can't watch the video on the website as the preview screen is blank. :confused: