PDA

View Full Version : Venison jerky

AdrianRose
02-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Had to share this with you good folks as I was so happy with how they turned out!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/577128e6-67c5-1e61.jpg

One and a half pounds of homemade venison jerky from a deer I got last week.

Ade.

Basha72
02-05-2012, 05:25 PM
How did you dry it out ? open fire or oven, fire i'm guessing :happy-clapping: but then again it could be the oven lol

Dave

AL...
02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
OK Now Im hungry !
Looks great :)

Cheers
AL

AdrianRose
02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
How did you dry it out ? open fire or oven, fire i'm guessing :happy-clapping: but then again it could be the oven lol

Dave

Unfortunately work has kept me indoors for a while so I dried this batch in the oven.
I'm supposed to be doing a talk and guided walk on wild edibles and was hoping to give these away as a freebie taster but I really don't think they are gonna last that long as I keep eating them! Lol.

Ade.

CanadianMike
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice job! I started making jerky about a month ago, bought a dehyrator for it, have made about a half dozen batches so far (mostly I use large roasts and strip them down), but my buddy Gary at work (he's making a knife with me BTW), gave me three small moose roasts to make jerky for him, turned out really well. Need to make more this weekend, made a great batch last weekend but between the girlfriend and I...... only a few peices left out of a large freezer bag.

AdrianRose
02-05-2012, 10:32 PM
It certainly is addictive to both eat and make. I look around all the time for cheep cuts of meat when I can't get a deer.

Perhaps if anyone else here has made any jerky, we could share our marinade recipes and drying methods.

Ade.

CanadianMike
03-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Here's one of mine, generally I stick with the same amounts of everything recently, but tweak it to meat size (cuz size does matter), and have been playing with the powdders a bit, as well as subsituting maple syrup for brown sugar. Really hard to tell the difference overall, but some have noticed. I dry for 4-5hrs, depends on the thickest pieces really.

‎1.2kg eye of round, length cut
1/2 Tbs hickory liquid smoke
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
... 4 Tbs cajun spices
... 1 Tbs maple syrup
1/2 Tbs chili pepper flakes
1 Tbs ground black pepper
200mL soya sauce
200mL worchestershire

AdrianRose
03-05-2012, 07:18 AM
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
... 4 Tbs cajun spices
1/2 Tbs chili pepper flakes
1 Tbs ground black pepper

Wow! Some large doses of flavourings there buddy. Does it taste as hot as it sounds?

Ade.

CanadianMike
03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Large amounts of meat to coat! Lol, the cajun spices doesn't have much spice to it, more flavour, and the chili pepper flakes does add some heat to them, not a lot and not every piece.

rosseveritt
15-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Had to share this with you good folks as I was so happy with how they turned out!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/577128e6-67c5-1e61.jpg

One and a half pounds of homemade venison jerky from a deer I got last week.

Ade.

Looks really good. I am going to make some jerky this weekend. Hope it looks as good as yours. :)

SilverBinder
09-06-2013, 10:47 PM
I have a batch in the oven now. My marianade is similar to that above but I use Terryaki sauce instead of soy and honey instead of maple. I have a mixture of meats both wild and domestic. (What ever is close to expiration in my freezer! LOL) This batch has some deer roast, some wild hog, a couple of steaks and a pork roast. I use stackable wire racks stacked on baking sheet pans. I got the racks from Bass Pro Shop. They stay in the mix in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Then dried, covered with coarse black pepper, and placed on the racks with space for air to circulate. Lowest possible temp for 12 plus hours. On smaller batches I turn them over at 8 hours. PS fish is great like this but a bit messy. You need to watch them carefully. This summer I am building a drying rack that will allow me to air dry the meat and fish without oven or even fire. Using a hot plate and some hickory or mesquite wood to create smoke. When it's finished I send a few pic's.