PDA

View Full Version : My jerven bag

FishyFolk
27-04-2012, 02:52 PM
This is my jerven bag. It's survival bag, wind sack, tarp, bivvi bag, sleeping bag, camo cover for hunting all in one.

This particular model is the Jerven Thermo hunter. It comes with a built in Polyamid liner, which helps against condensation as the outer fabric is aluminum covered polyester.
It comes in 5 differnt colors. Signal orange, mountain camo, woodland camo, desert camo and white/snow camo. Mine is the mountain camo.

Rescue helicopters, the Civil defence, the Red Cross, the Military, domestic
and abroad, foreign rescue departments, etc. have taken the Jerven bag in
use as rescue equipment. The reason is simple enough. The Jerven bag
retains the body heat better than the traditional woollen blankets, etc.

Also it is very popular with hunters.

I use mine mainly as a bivvi/sleeping bag. The measurements as a sack is 220x100 cm. As a tarp 220 x 200 cm an weghs 1500 gram. But lighter models exist.
It has separable heavy duty zippers on 3 sides, and zippered openings for the arms, when using it as a poncho, or for hunters on "ambush" posts
which is the prefared method for most moose and reindeer hunters in Norway. As they can sit with their arms out, free to use their rifle. It comes with a pair of loose armlets as well,
so you don't have to have wet armes if raining. They are also good for protection against blood when butchering. I.ve used them when cleaning fish.

I think it should be suitable for a hammock as well, and I plan to test that this summer. Probably just make myself a hammock frpom some cheap tarp, and hang it inside the bag.

Anyway here are some pictures....

FishyFolk
27-04-2012, 02:57 PM
And some more pictures of the different features

JonnyP
27-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Don't you get lots of condensation, using it as a sleeping bag..?

FishyFolk
27-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Don't you get lots of condensation, using it as a sleeping bag..?

Not if you use it right. You have to open it up some and sleep with your face out. And the insulation layer also helps a lot with any condensation problems.
Also I most of the time I use a cheap, light summer bag inside this one. And then condensation is no problem.

I have used it in the Norwegian mountains at wintertime, the deserts of the Sudan, the highlands of Thailand and tropical Sri Lanka.

Mind you the original Jerven bag, did not have the insulation layer/ liner and that was like any aluminum foil insulation blanket. But then the mission of that one was just camouflage and to get you out of the wind and rain.

Anyway its excellent quality, I have had mine for 10 years now....

Martin
27-04-2012, 07:40 PM
....I have used it in the Norwegian mountains at wintertime, the deserts of the Sudan, the highlands of Thailand and tropical Sri Lanka.....

Wasn't that a song by Ian Dury and the Blockheads? Just saying. ;)

Martin

FishyFolk
27-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Martin

Would not surprise me at all... :happy-clapping:

FishyFolk
27-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Just checked as the Jerven bag is water ressistant, not water proof (well it is as good as water proof if you spray it with Kiwi camp dry 13% silicone) and if you do get some condensation it's easy to dry. Jerven recomends ligthing a candle (not a tea light) set up inside a cooking pot inside the bag, with you in it to dry it. They claim thats enough to have the temp inside up to 30 C :-)

Just be carefull as open flame may melt it.

Also this thing comes with a warantee on zippers, and you also get reppair kits for it. Or you can send it to Jerven and they will fix it...

m0txr
27-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Lolol hit me with your rythm stick, old memories awoken.lol

Hushwing
27-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Martin

LOL :o

Kernowek Scouser
28-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Another bit of kit I had never heard of before, just been looking through their website and the Jerven bag fascinating bit of kit, thanks for sharing T^

And, it is true you learn some thing new every day, Switzerland apparently has special forces, which is bit of an extravagance for a country committed to neutrality, but obviously it is an extravagance they can afford.

Hit me with your tinder stick, light that fire and light it quick

Tiley
31-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I love my Jerven bag. It is a very lightweight, versatile piece of kit, beautifully made and very well thought out. I've got one with a lighter weight, zip-in liner as I was told that the heavier weight liner would probably be too hot. It is brilliant on the ground or used with a partially inflated mat in a hammock. Condensation is not a problem - keep the zips open around your face, air the bag and liner while you're having breakfast and it's fine. Great for chilly star gazing, camping, bushcraft, travel - pretty much anything. I take mine with me everywhere. When it is cold, I add either a synthetic sleeping bag or Kifaru Woobie but most of the time, it works for me without anything extra.

As for the Swiss Special Forces, they have them on the payroll to guard the Nazi gold...

comanighttrain
31-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I just realized that this is probably a good bit of kit for Scotland...

"The minus is, that it creates condensation. The outer material is completely tight, but that is deliberate. Breathing materials are not tight enough when youre sitting in the soaking wet marsh"

just replace "the soaking wet marsh" with "Scotland"

CanadianMike
31-05-2012, 03:33 PM
The price confuses me........

FishyFolk
31-05-2012, 03:38 PM
The price confuses me........

Oh that is Norwegian too...

CanadianMike
31-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Ya, I noticed that, 2,060 kr (krones?), yet trying to convert to CDN loonies showed only Euros for Norway currency...........

FishyFolk
31-05-2012, 04:01 PM
2060 NOK = 350 canadian $

CanadianMike
31-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Ah, ok, that makes more sense, thanks!

comanighttrain
31-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Fishy, is it possible to get a good sleep in one (or rather which model) would be most useful between -5 to 10? Im thinking the thermo one...

FishyFolk
31-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I have only used the Thermo Hunter so thats the one I recomend. It should handle -5 to 10 very well. My stepson who is Thai used it at minus 20 one week after seeing snow for the first time in his like, and he was quite toast in it he said :-)

Just remember it's not a sleeping bag, but it can be used as one in a pinch.

comanighttrain
31-05-2012, 07:13 PM
I have only used the Thermo Hunter so thats the one I recomend. It should handle -5 to 10 very well. My stepson who is Thai used it at minus 20 one week after seeing snow for the first time in his like, and he was quite toast in it he said :-)

Just remember it's not a sleeping bag, but it can be used as one in a pinch.

You know I'm going to try it anyway right? :P

When I can afford one at least!

Hushwing
31-05-2012, 07:37 PM
I just realized that this is probably a good bit of kit for Scotland...

just replace "the soaking wet marsh" with "Scotland"

That's not a wet marsh - it's atmospheric landscape!

comanighttrain
31-05-2012, 08:10 PM
That's not a wet marsh - it's atmospheric landscape!

wet marsh-like atmospheric landscape!

alvino78
01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
most beautiful bog ridden wet marsh like atmospheric eye pleasing landscape or Scotland!!!

FishyFolk
01-06-2012, 10:50 AM
most beautiful bog ridden wet marsh like atmospheric eye pleasing landscape or Scotland!!!

Sounds a lot like the less rocky parts of this fjord infested rock, otherwise known as Norway. In other words the Jerven bag should be perfect... T^

Kernowek Scouser
01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
If you think Scotland is a wee bit damp, you want to try a weekend in Talacre (North Wales). No matter how sunny it was in Liverpool when we set off and regardless of what the forecast predicted; It was always, ALWAYS damp and miserable when we got there.

I believe Talacre may test the Jervan bag to its limits.

FishyFolk
01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
If you think Scotland is a wee bit damp, you want to try a weekend in Talacre (North Wales). No matter how sunny it was in Liverpool when we set off and regardless of what the forecast predicted; It was always, ALWAYS damp and miserable when we got there.

I believe Talacre may test the Jervan bag to its limits.

You have never been in Gullesfjord, Norway where my mom hails from. Same story here. It may be a nice summer day, the sea is like a mirror, the sun is shining, with only moderate snow showers now and then, and we go to Gullesfjord...to be greeted by Northern gales, and the clouds hanging on the roof tops...

comanighttrain
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm on the tipping point of getting one of these...

Thermo or original... might come down to a coin toss

FishyFolk
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm on the tipping point of getting one of these...

Thermo or original... might come down to a coin toss

Get the thermo. The original is a lot smaller and only meant to sit in, or to be used as a poncho. And there will be a lot of condensation.
The thermo has a liner, and is big enough to sleep in...can probably stuff 2 people in of they are intimate...he he
Anyway, you get loads of space for a sleeping bag inside if you want to use it as a sleeping bag shell. And the liner prevents a lot of condensation, and you can use it as a blanket too.

comanighttrain
05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Get the thermo. The original is a lot smaller and only meant to sit in, or to be used as a poncho. And there will be a lot of condensation.
The thermo has a liner, and is big enough to sleep in...can probably stuff 2 people in of they are intimate...he he
Anyway, you get loads of space for a sleeping bag inside if you want to use it as a sleeping bag shell. And the liner prevents a lot of condensation, and you can use it as a blanket too.

Thanks Fishy!

Sounds ideal! Worried about the packing size of it though... I have emailed the company for measurements...

any idea how much space it occupies?

FishyFolk
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks Fishy!

Sounds ideal! Worried about the packing size of it though... I have emailed the company for measurements...

any idea how much space it occupies?

Here is a picture

It is quite bulky. The original packs down to maybe 1/3 of that, but that one is in poncho size. The Thermo is a lot bulkier. In the picture I have not bothered to compress it very much.
I hang mine on the outside of the backpack, as the bagg it comes in is made in the same weatherproof material as the bag itself.

comanighttrain
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks Fishy.

hmmm... I think that it may stuff into a 20L sack eh?

FishyFolk
05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
That should not be a problem. But you won't stuff much else in it then. Better to strap it on the outside. :-)

comanighttrain
05-09-2012, 12:31 PM
That should not be a problem. But you won't stuff much else in it then. Better to strap it on the outside. :-)

haha, I'm sure it'll all be clear to me when I get my paws on it!

Tack!

FishyFolk
05-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Tack!

What the h.... does Tack! mean? half the englisk speakers I meet online finish with that word when i have helped with something :confused:

("Tack" is the Swedish spelling of the word. in Norway and Denmark it is "takk" :-)

comanighttrain
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
("Tack" is the Swedish spelling of the word. in Norway and Denmark it is "takk" :-)

hahaha at least it wasn't danke... you should have heard some of the half and halfs I came out with in France