PDA

View Full Version : Tarp repairs

Roadkillphil
26-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Evenin all :D

I need to do multiple small repairs to one of my tarps that got attacked by flying embers, there are many small holes ranging from a couple of mm to 10mm. I was wondering if anyone had used this (http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/repair_tape) and how effective it was. If anyone can recommend a better alternative then please let me know.

This year I plan to play around more with tarpology and more ground dwelling setups, so I need a ully functioning tarp :D All help gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Phil

Martin
26-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Just a thought Phil, but why not silicone some patches of silnylon over the holes? I might know someone who has quite a few old tents that are just begging to be chopped up into small patch sized bits. ;)

Martin

Roadkillphil
26-04-2012, 08:07 PM
just a thought phil, but why not silicone some patches of silnylon over the holes? I might know someone who has quite a few old tents that are just begging to be chopped up into small patch sized bits. ;)

martin

T^ :d

Roadkillphil
26-04-2012, 08:09 PM
And I notice my signature has "mysteriously" changed again!!! :tongue:

Ben Casey
26-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Maybe a mad thought but what about something like a puncture repair kit for the small holes? I'm probably wrong but it is a thought :)

luresalive
26-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I use duck tape

Kernowek Scouser
26-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Another potentially daft/wrong suggestion.

Would a tent repair kit (with the strips and sealers) be of any use?

If it would be, I'm pretty sure Penrose Outdoor were doing spare Vango/other manufacturer repair kits (and spare poles and lots of other handy odds and sods) last year, at the top of the stairs, when you go in the front door.

Good luck with the repairs ;)

Izzy
26-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Phil,

For non-breathable material repairs I use an old waterproof coat (two young growing sons so no shortage of cheap donor jackets) and copydex glue. Works great on self inflating kip mats, so I reckon it will be ok for a tarp.

Best regards Izzy.

CanadianMike
26-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I use duck tape

Saw that coming, knew someone would say it before me....... :D

ian c
27-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Have used black n nasty (duct tape) in the field then when home used patches cut to size stitched on using sewing machine then sprayed with with fabsil.

paulthefish2009
27-04-2012, 12:14 PM
For a quick n easy repair then duck tape is your friend,more permantly then a patch n glue, think I would rather use "evostick" rather than "copydex". or as Ian says break out the sewing kit,I've repaired wax jackets this way and given them a good coat (no pun) of barbours thorn proof dressing. Paul

Woodwose
27-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I used that tape on a seconds tarp from DD which had a small tear on the ridge. I also used it on another seconds tarp which had a small cut on the edge seam. It worked well for me.
You can apply it to either side of a DD tarp, it sticks well, just round the edges off the patch that you cut with a pair of scissors and apply, leave a good 1-1/2" or so overlap round the hole/tear etc.

Roadkillphil
27-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Thankyou all for your advice :D I dug out the tarp in question this evening and had a good look... There are loads of small holes :( almost to the point of not bothering repairing as there are so many... But I can't resist a challenge :D and it's the original tarp mc with all the loops, whereas my new tarp mc hasn't got as many attachment loops. I would like to restore this holey tarp so I can use the maximum amount of loops for different setups. Plus it will be nice having a spare "usable" tarp for communal arrangements for when I'm out with friends and family.

Thanks once again for all your input

Cheers

Phil

Martin
27-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Remember what I said yesterday about pitching far enough away from the fire? I'm glad for it now.

Martin

Roadkillphil
28-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Remember what I said yesterday about pitching far enough away from the fire? I'm glad for it now.

Martin

Exactly mate!! This is a first hand example of this. If I'd had a small fire and wasn't burning spitting pine (all the remnants of clearing out my old life...) I would have been fine. I had a huge pile of timber offcuts that I'd been "saving-just in case" from my days in the construction industry. So me and the kids had a roaring bonfire. As it was dry seasoned pine the flying embers were unreal... Even my hammock took some flack, but only a couple of small holes. Remember just before Xmas, we used that tarp as a communal windbreak/shelter and when it rained it leaked? Lesson learnt, small fires or pitch further away

Cheers

Phil

gemgenie
29-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Wow first post in ages - kind of forgot about this place Ooops

Have you tried Tenacious Tape - good stuff

Roadkillphil
09-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Just a thought Phil, but why not silicone some patches of silnylon over the holes? I might know someone who has quite a few old tents that are just begging to be chopped up into small patch sized bits. ;)

Martin

Used this method to repair my thermarest and seems to have worked nicely T^ Just gotta get on with the tarp now.... There's over 50 holes :(

Thanks Martin for the materials for the job :D

I may get some of that tenacious tape for field repairs mind...