PDA

View Full Version : List of light weight tents

Kernowek Scouser
26-04-2012, 12:17 AM
From a blog I subscribe to.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12796/directory-lightweight-backpacking-shelters/

It is a list of 120+ lightweight tents/tarps/bivis/hammocks. As it is an American blog, the weight is noted in pounds and ounces.

I found it interesting, thought I would put a link here in case anyone else might find it interesting too.

AL...
26-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Some great lookin gear there
Thanks for sharing

Cheers
AL

Kernowek Scouser
26-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I'll be honest, I don't envisage myself becoming an uber ultralite backpacker any time soon and I haven't even heard of some of the manufacturers featured, but it is an interesting list to look at a while away a bit of time wondering 'What if'.

And this fella Erik, is a mine of info when it comes to light weight gear (not all of it easily available over here, but still fun to have a gander at)

I'm glad you found it interesting :D

comanighttrain
26-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Some of them look like tarps with a midge net....which is good... simple and effective construction. Unless your up a mountain or particularly exposed to the wind then having sides on your tent can be unnecessary

Martin
26-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Nice one Colin. Looking at that lot has inspired me to get out with my tarp and walking poles more this summer. I've had a few comments recently on my three day Dartmoor exped videos about how much kit I took on that trip. A minimal night out is on the cards now.

Martin

comanighttrain
26-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Martin - I came to the opposite conclusion...using the tarp in the cold season and tent when the bugs are about

AL...
26-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Just gonna take yer wheelbarrow with the go faster stripes Martin? lol

Dives for cover!!!!!!!

Cheers
AL

Martin
26-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Martin - I came to the opposite conclusion...using the tarp in the cold season and tent when the bugs are about

I came to absolute opposite conclusion Dave, but then it doesn't get anywhere near as cold down here, nor do we get anywhere near the number of bugs that you do.

I'll be using my tent this weekend because rain is forecast to be of biblical proportions. I have just been chatting to Roadkillphil and we're both of the same mind to do some tarpology this summer when (if) the nice weather returns.

Al, I don't have a wheel barrow any more, I traded it for a motorised golf buggy. ;)

Martin

AL...
26-04-2012, 02:43 PM
HAHAHA !!! Ok that sent my tea all over the puter screen LOL

Cheers
AL

comanighttrain
26-04-2012, 03:00 PM
hahaha @ golf buggy...bushcraft - with class.

There's not as many insects down there? ... cold I can see your point... I guess your kits more likely to get some rain in the cold season....

Weird, I'll need to get down there... maybe I can stop using a -10 sleeping bag most of the time...

jus_young
26-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I came to absolute opposite conclusion Dave, but then it doesn't get anywhere near as cold down here, nor do we get anywhere near the number of bugs that you do.

I'll be using my tent this weekend because rain is forecast to be of biblical proportions. I have just been chatting to Roadkillphil and we're both of the same mind to do some tarpology this summer when (if) the nice weather returns.

Al, I don't have a wheel barrow any more, I traded it for a motorised golf buggy. ;)

Martin

You should see the buggy, or should that be buggies.

The poshacrafting buggy

The off road solution

And one for the end of the world as we know it

And you thought he was joking ;)

AL...
26-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I like the last one for when Martin does a bit of Lampin for rabbits LOL

Cheers
AL

Martin
26-04-2012, 03:15 PM
You can stop using a -10 sleeping bag all the time mate. We get midges up on Dartmoor but you can sit out all evening in Cornwall and not get bothered at all. It rains all winter though. No snow, well maybe one or two days per winter/spring but nothing at all since winter 2011. In fact, we haven't even had a frost to talk of this year. I could use a tarp all year round but driving rain underneath and onto my down bag isn't something I relish when I can be warm and dry in my tent.

Come on down Dave, you'll be more than welcome and it would be good to get together with the boys for a night or two on Dartmoor.

Martin

Martin
26-04-2012, 03:18 PM
You should see the buggy, or should that be buggies.

The poshacrafting buggy

The off road solution

And one for the end of the world as we know it

And you thought he was joking ;)

It's got to be the bottom one hasn't it? :D

Martin

jus_young
26-04-2012, 03:21 PM
...Come on down Dave, you'll be more than welcome and it would be good to get together with the boys for a night or two on Dartmoor.

Martin

T^

comanighttrain
26-04-2012, 03:22 PM
You can stop using a -10 sleeping bag all the time mate. We get midges up on Dartmoor but you can sit out all evening in Cornwall and not get bothered at all. It rains all winter though. No snow, well maybe one or two days per winter/spring but nothing at all since winter 2011. In fact, we haven't even had a frost to talk of this year. I could use a tarp all year round but driving rain underneath and onto my down bag isn't something I relish when I can be warm and dry in my tent.

Come on down Dave, you'll be more than welcome and it would be good to get together with the boys for a night or two on Dartmoor.

Martin

It would be interesting to see the rain there! We get rain here but, for the most part, the drainage is good enough to stop your gear getting wet on the ground...

Yeah U'm really up for coming down...gutted i forgot about the RV :@

jus_young
26-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Anyway, back on topic - there are some interesting lightweight options there. Does seem that the market for this stuff warrants this choice elsewhere on the globe but, as always, choices are somewhat more limited here in the UK. Looking around different suppliers sites though the choice is slowly increasing.

happybonzo
26-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Robert Saunders used to make the lightest tent in the UK at one time. It was called the Spacepacker. He recently passed on and don't know if the company is still trading

Kernowek Scouser
26-04-2012, 09:30 PM
If I were to get bitten by the lightweight bug, I think I would give this one a go.

Gatewood Cape

It is just 11 ounces and packs down to next to nothing, crazy!

I love looking at gear like this, the prices may give you pause for thought, but the ideas behind some of these products are quite inspiring.

I'm currently looking at getting a tarp (was going to get a cheap MOD basha, but I now think it might be too small, so probably a DD) to go with my hammock (which is a DD) and if I do get it into my head to try non tent ground dwelling, it will serve that too.

I've got a bit of time off coming up after the bank holiday, so I am seriously toying with the idea of doing at the very least an overnighter on Dartmoor, but I think it will be a tent adventure and probably not too far from civilization, as it will be my first time camping on Dartmoor (and I am a bit of a girly coward).

However, if the summer tarpology practice on Dartmoor is open to all comers and I can locate the testicular fortitude required to forego the 'luxury' of sleeping in a tent, near enough to civilization for someone to hear you shouting "HELP!" (and if I am available) I could be tempted to pop along.

I'm glad folks found the link useful :D