PDA

View Full Version : Cheep basha poles ?

biker-bri
22-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi, I had an Idea a few weeks ago when my old slik 88 tripod fell apart ( after about 25 yrs use ) to use the legs as basha / tarp poles, I intend to use them to build a birdwatching hide while at a nature reserve or on short overnight walks in the woods, nothing to far as I have a habit of falling on my bum!!, has anyone used them for this kind of thing or do you all think that I am mad :confused:, the wife does, so does my son, all the neighbours and most of my frends.431943204321 . These are aprox 24in closed 52in fully extended with a threded rubber foot and spike on one end & a plain spike on the other, they have cliplock conectors while some have twist lock ones like walking poles. Old tripods are available on ebay, car boot sales & junk shops .
Anyone have any views on this , Cheers Bri

Richie
23-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Probably just a bit too heavy imo.
I bought some cheap 3 section hiking poles (£2.99 each) from Chav Direct (Sports direct) and I removed the handles from them. They work great as basha poles and are nice and light.
Not much cop for very high winds but great for your average night out.

Martin
23-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I have used walking poles with handles as basha/tarp poles before. In fact, on our first Dartmoor challenge, I used this system for a couple of nights and it was very successful. The walking poles are adjustable from about 18" to somewhere about 40" which should be plenty.

Martin

AL...
24-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Cool Idea
I have an old Tripod that I used to use while out Birdwatching but since I got a new one Its been collecting dust..
Im thinkin its gonna have a new lease of life :D

Cheers
AL