PDA

View Full Version : Recovering a Post

Kernowek Scouser
19-04-2012, 01:16 AM
I just spent a little while writing a detailed review of the Crusader Cup and Cooker Unit, but when I went to post a new thread, I got an error message and ALL OF IT was lost.

Now that I have stopped swearing, as I am not much of a techie, I was wondering if anyone knows whether my review can be recovered and if it can how I would go about recovering it or if I just have to write it again (if I can be bothered).

Thanks,

Colin

Martin
19-04-2012, 05:22 AM
I'm afraid that it will be lost unless you can hit the 'back' button and it may be there, although I'm sure it's too late by the time you're reading this. If it becomes a recurring issue then I would suggest that you highlight and copy all of your text prior to hitting submit; that way all of the text will be saved on your clipboard just in case.

Martin

Roadkillphil
19-04-2012, 06:39 AM
I used to have this issue when writing long posts. To me it was because I didn't tick the "keep me logged in" box. I would type up a long post, hit submit and be asked to log in. Once logged in my post would be gone! After a couple of times of this happening, I started doing what Martin says and copying before submitting. I think it was because I'd spend so long typing that the session timed out and would automatically log me out.
I'm now logged in permanent and no longer have this issue.... I still copy just in case tho :D

Kernowek Scouser
19-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Cheers Fellas.

It was gone as soon as I hit the back button, which now I've had a kip, I can say was a tad irritating.

Copying to be safe is definitely the way forward. The annoying thing is, I do usually copy long posts before I submit them, but as I'd been at it a while and it was getting late, I forgot on this occasion.

Fiddlesticks.

The one glimmer of hope I have is based upon something I saw a friend do. She was typing something gossipy on some celeb focused forum, in between doing actual work on her PC. When she finally hit send, she had been timed out and as happened to me, the message was gone.

After some very unladylike language directed at technology in general and her PC in particular, she went into the PC's memory/history and recovered her post from some log or other and resubmitted it.

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone knows how to do what she did and talk me though doing it too. (I have messaged her, but she is in a different time zone these days and a bit flaky, so I'm casting the help net a little wider).

I'm probably on a hiding to nothing, but as there are a few folks on here who know about these log files and what have you, I have to ask.

Thanks

Colin
Clutching wildly at a fading glimmer

KaiTheIronHound
19-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Pretty sure you're boned mate. Forums tend not to store unsubmitted info, so if the post wasnt submitted due to an error, you'll probably have to rewrite it. Looking forward to the review though :)

Ben Casey
19-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi If I'm writting a long post I do it in word then post it here it helps to as I use the spell checker and stuff I hope that helps :)

Fletching
19-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I find it quite easy to recover a long post. All you have to do i

Martin
19-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Look, I know that this is veering massively off topic but just wanted to share this with you all; apropos the usefulness of spell checkers. If you copy and paste into MS Word you won't get a single error.

I have a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it
Your sure real glad two no
It's vary polished in it's weigh
My checker tolled me sew

A checker is a bless sing
It freeze yew lodes of thyme
It helps me awl stiles two reed
And aides me when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud
And wee mussed dew the best wee can
Sew flaws are knot aloud

And now bee cause my spelling
is checked with such grate flare
Their are know faults with in my site
Of nun eye am a wear

Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed to be a joule
The checker poured over every word
To cheque sum spelling rule

That's why aye brake in two averse
By righting wants too pleas
Sow now ewe sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear for pea seas

Martin

Tony1948
19-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Works good dont it MartinT^ PS I'll ave to get one of them.

Ben Casey
19-04-2012, 05:09 PM
LMAO Mine doesnt od tath LOL

Kernowek Scouser
19-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Yew fell oars may ache me chuck hell :happy-clapping:

Fletching
19-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Yew fell oars may ache me chuck hell :happy-clapping:

It sway U tell hem. :)

Kernowek Scouser
19-04-2012, 10:51 PM
It sir cur rack her :jumping-joy:

Fur ankh ka arse on

Are Eye Pea

Martin
20-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Yew guise!!!

kesom
29-04-2012, 02:17 AM
there's an add on for firefox that i use called Lazarus Form recovery but it can be installed into Google Chrome and Safari web browsers,it will basically save any text you type in on a forum to their server and when its installed all you have to do is right click on the text box in a thread and anything you have typed into that forum will be available,its password protected too here's the link (http://lazarus.interclue.com/download) to the download page
no more lost posts :)

peace ken :)

GwersyllaCnau
29-04-2012, 10:15 AM
To Kerno:

Sorry think you'll have to start again

To Martin:

That was great, would you mind if I copied that to put on the wall in my classroom. The kids rely to heavily on spell check.

Martin
29-04-2012, 10:37 AM
To Martin:

That was great, would you mind if I copied that to put on the wall in my classroom. The kids rely to heavily on spell check.

Fill your boots mate. I use it at work with people who don't believe good spelling is important.

Martin

GwersyllaCnau
29-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Fill your boots mate. I use it at work with people who don't believe good spelling is important.

Martin

Thanks..... Think your colleagues must have been in my class at some point then.

Kernowek Scouser
29-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Cheers for the link Ken T^

I've rewritten my first impressions (and saved them in a doc) and I'm going to go out and do a second, more thorough, field test either tomorrow or Tuesday, write that up and hopefully include some pictures.

I am sure you are all awash with anticipation :D

kesom
29-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Cheers for the link Ken T^

I've rewritten my first impressions (and saved them in a doc) and I'm going to go out and do a second, more thorough, field test either tomorrow or Tuesday, write that up and hopefully include some pictures.

I am sure you are all awash with anticipation :D

NP ks,its well worth a download,i can recall anything ive posted on this forum by just right clicking in the reply box below,its really good

ken :)

Ichneumon
29-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Nice one Martin! As a bit of a computer geek I thought I'd seen most of them, but that was new to me - and better than good.

To the Cornish Scouser I say: Zorry Buy! I'm 'fraid you'm proper knackered there. ;)

Ashley Cawley
23-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I did at one point see a "auto-save" feature in action which used to Save partially written replies to threads as you typed them, I've just done a little testing and haven't found it yet, but this is copied from another forum:

How Auto Save Works
According to the vBulletin community forum (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php/2480-vBulletin-4-1-4-The-new-all-new-WYSIWYG-text-editor-powered-by-CKEditor), the Auto-Save feature is a backup feature to save the text in your reply in case of a crash or other extraordinary circumstance and you are thrown out of your reply. As I understand it, the auto-save automatically backs up your work every 30 seconds. At that point, you should see an Auto-saved message flash in the right-hand corner of your reply pane. If after the initial 30 second backup you are inadvertently thrown out of your reply, you can go back to the thread, click Reply to Thread and you should see a "Restore Auto-Saved content" message in the lower left-hand corner of either the Quick Reply Pane or the Advanced Pane. Click on that message and your text is restored.

I tested by just closing out the WPU page, went back and successfully restored my text.

Ashley Cawley
23-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah - I just saw it then infact, when you're typing a message of some length it appears that a yellow message does momentarily popup in the bottom right corner of the box to say it's auto-saved your message, apparently this happens every 30 seconds which seems like a good frequency to me., it might be worth learning how you restore these.

Ichneumon
23-05-2012, 09:12 PM
You're right Ash. The messages are auto-saved on this and other fora - yellow message appearing during typing. The problem is getting them back.

I've moved away from my half-finished post to check that I've answered all points raised by the OP only to find that my supposed auto-saved meanderings are lost - or at least I can't find or restore them.

I suspect there's a right way to leave a half-finished post without loosing it, or, more likely, a right and wrong way to get it back. I just haven't worked out the formula - yet.

MikeWilkinson
24-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Quick test of auto save recovery.... waiting for auto save... Right clicked back and lost post... clicked back on post, switched to advanced, restore button appears at bottom of post.. ... Next test logging off and logging back on... In advanced restore button worked.

Last test close down web browser... logged back in went to this thread, restore button below quick reply box.

Works great for me.

Mike

MikeWilkinson
24-05-2012, 09:54 AM
One final test, leaving this page and typing in a new post somewhere else, before returning... waiting for save... .... Wow works even though I have started typing somewhere else. I'll see if that lets me restore too.

Yup, can restore that thread too!

Ichneumon
24-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks Mike. Follow your rules and it works a treat.

Ashley Cawley
25-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Wow - That's great news Mike, thanks for testing that :)

... just incase folks don't already know; you can be half-way through writing a post and click the "Go Advanced" button in the lower right corner, it copies across everything you've written to that point.

So the trick is with restoring then to be in the advanced editor!

MikeWilkinson
25-05-2012, 06:12 PM
It appears to work in the quick reply box too, as long as you see the auto save flash up in the bottom right corner... ....See, just did it then.