PDA

View Full Version : Meteor shower this weekend.

comanighttrain
18-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Anyone out? I'm heading up the hills to hopefully get a good view... looks like we might have cloud though.

Martin
18-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Got a night out planned in the woods but hopefully we'll get a good view of the sky if it's clear enough.

Martin

Martin
18-04-2012, 08:46 AM
For information:

"April 22, 2012 Lyrids
The Lyrid meteors – April’s “shooting stars” – tend to be bright and often leave trails. About 10-20 meteors per hour at peak can be expected. Plus, the Lyrids are known for uncommon surges that can sometimes bring the rate up to 100 per hour. Those rare outbursts are not easy to predict, but they’re one of the reasons the tantalizing Lyrids are worth checking out. The radiant for this shower is in the constellation Lyra, which rises in the northeast at about 10 p.m. Fortunately, in 2012, the new moon guarantees a dark sky in the late night and morning hours, the best time to watch the Lyrid shower. As a general rule, the greatest number of Lyrid meteors fall in the dark hours before dawn. The optimal night will probably be from late night April 21 until dawn April 22, though the night before or after (April 21/22 and April 22/23) may also offer a sprinkling of Lyrid meteors. With no moon to obscure this year’s display, we are assured of dark skies for the 2012 Lyrid meteor shower!"

Courtesy of http://earthsky.org/

Martin

comanighttrain
18-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks Martin - I wasn't sure of where it was actually going to happen...!

Fletching
18-04-2012, 09:43 AM
The forecast is not looking very good so far. :(

Ashley Cawley
18-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Interesting! Thanks, I'll get up early and keep an eye out for this one.

Martin
18-04-2012, 11:11 AM
The forecast is not looking very good so far. :(

It is here, between 0300 and 0600. :)

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/United-Kingdom/Cornwall/St-Austell.aspx?sday=4

Martin

moontanboy
20-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I went to try and see the Lyrids this year but from my location it wasn't a very prolific meteor storm..

I follow a guy on twitter called virtual astro, he's based down the A4 from me but often tweets about meteor storms, aurora / geo magnetic storms and ISS passes.

Oops just realised these posts are from 2010, but then again lyrids, perseids, geminids and leonids are all annual events.
Hopefully someone else will notice this thread being resurrected and remember to look up next time there out in the wilds of an evening.

Sometimes there's none visible, sometimes there's 100+ an hour if your really lucky.

www.meteorwatch.org is a good site to keep an eye on for news of cool stuff happening in the skies.