PDA

View Full Version : Quick setup tarp modification idea

comanighttrain
17-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought of an idea to accelerate the setup of a tarp in the lean-to configuration.

The pull to tighten but releasable parts of a rucksack strap, you could put these on the attachment points on one side so that you can quickly attach the tarp to a tree/fence/whatever and peg the other side in the ground.

What think?

Silverback
17-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought of an idea to accelerate the setup of a tarp in the lean-to configuration.

The pull to tighten but releasable parts of a rucksack strap, you could put these on the attachment points on one side so that you can quickly attach the tarp to a tree/fence/whatever and peg the other side in the ground.

What think?

good idea dave but id just go with bungees

Martin
17-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I'd agree with Wayne but paracord with quick release knots has to be the most versatile imho.

Martin

Roadkillphil
17-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I took a bungee to the nuts when out on exercise in Poland.... I'll never trust them again!! :(

GalaxyRider
17-04-2012, 08:12 PM
When I was in the Army we were out on exercise, in the 58 pattern poncho days, and on one of the guns subs next to ours a chap was sorting out his poncho with bungees. He pulled it really tight to reach a bit of a tree, he turned and walked a few paces, then decided to go back and check it, at this point it let go and fishooked him in the corner of his lip and came out an inch or so up his cheek!

comanighttrain
17-04-2012, 08:35 PM
very good point actually, I have not used bungees very much.... Also not paid nearly enough heed to knot tying - I generally just lasoo everything together!

Martin
17-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Try the 'Adjustable Cawley Hitch'. It's described in the main website and is perfect for adjusting lines on a tarp. It's the only knot I need or use. :)

Martin

Silverback
17-04-2012, 09:20 PM
When I was in the Army we were out on exercise, in the 58 pattern poncho days, and on one of the guns subs next to ours a chap was sorting out his poncho with bungees. He pulled it really tight to reach a bit of a tree, he turned and walked a few paces, then decided to go back and check it, at this point it let go and fishooked him in the corner of his lip and came out an inch or so up his cheek!

Ahh 58 patt.....heavy when wet...and OUCH !!

so much easier to sleep on the back of a bedford