PDA

View Full Version : Condor Bushlore

Notredame11211
24-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Hello All, I am looking into buying a Condor Bushlore knife. I have heard good things about this knife being a very stout knife that can take a beating for a cheap price. Does anybody own one of these, if so how does it preform, and how easy is it to sharpen compared to something like a Mora. Thanks:)

Link to knife-http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Condor-Knives/Condor-Bushlore-Knife/p-92-130-4941/

Martin
24-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I've got one. Not easy to sharpen, it is a very chunky blade (5mm steel) with a short convex bevel on it and I've been trying for a some time to get a decent edge on it with very poor results. However, don't necessarily be put off by my experience. I am not very experienced at sharpening a convex bevel and definitely need more practise. I also read good reviews of the knife and it looks really nice, feels good in the hand and comes with a lovely sheath. For the money, if you feel confident about sharpening the convex bevel, I would say it's worth a punt.

Let us know what you decide.

Martin

Notredame11211
24-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply Martin,
I thought that it was a scandi grind knife like that of a Mora. I will give it a spin anyways though... seeing as it doesn't cost too much money. I heard this knife is indestructible, so might be good for batoning even when it's dull.

luresalive
24-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I have the Nessmuk version and had the others on a BB passaround, terrible knives, not worth it even if they were given away...get a mora.

Notredame11211
24-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Are they really that bad?, because I hear good things about them on the internet

Martin
24-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I have the Nessmuk version and had the others on a BB passaround, terrible knives, not worth it even if they were given away...get a mora.

That's a pretty damning indictment of these knives, especially compared to the reviews about on the internet. I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but what precisely don't you like about your nessmuk version of the Condor? And, what was the verdict from British Blades? I assume they didn't like it/them?

I'm planning on taking mine to the RV at Easter to see if the esteemed Mr Budd can help me. I reckon if he can help me get this sharp then I will be able to sharpen anything. I'll make my mind up whether it's a keeper or not then. ;)

Martin

Notredame11211
24-12-2010, 06:35 PM
You should let us know if the knife is a keeper once you get it sharpened Martin

luresalive
24-12-2010, 07:24 PM
If it's permissible I'll follow this with a link to the passaround, you can see that very very few people actually like these knives and these reviews are from people who know their stuff, if they say they are not worth the money you can be sure they are right. I understand that my comment was harsh but to be honest if I had told you what I really think of them I would have been banned!! Please however don't take my word for it, it maybe the perfect knife for you, but if it is getting good reviews out there all I can say is that those giving the good reviews don't use knives very often..

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?101813-Condor-Nessmuk-and-the-Bushlore&highlight=bushlore

Corfe
24-02-2012, 03:19 PM
The earlier version was rubbish, it's true - but the Mark 2 is much better. Still took me a while to get it hair-shaving sharp out of the box, and tbh I won't be carving spoons with it either, but it's a pretty bombproof knife (needs a long drink of linseed oil also imho once you first get it.) If you want something you can baton with and treat horribly, then it's great. Gets good sparks off a ferro rod too.

Martin
24-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Corfe, thanks for resurrecting this thread. Dave Budd took one look and said that he couldn't get it sharp at the RV. It hasn't been out of my bushcraft storage box since.

Martin

Corfe
24-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Martin, is that the earlier version you have? - still not sure..

Martin
24-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't know the difference to be honest. I've had it for over a year now and never used it in anger.

Martin

Tony1948
24-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I'v just been on utube and most of the guys on there rate the MK2 2011 knife a lot better than the first one witch is a lot thicker than the new knife,I think the guy said the old one was 1/4in and the new one's a little thiner and a lot better finnish,it's 10-75 carbon steel with a better grind and handle finnish,and on the US ebay you can pick em up for around 26 bucks.So with a bit of work on the blade you can get yourself quite a good knife with a good leather sheath.For that sort of money I'd take a chanceT^

ktomes_340
27-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I have several of the Condor knives and they are all keepers to me. I received all, but the Sapien, were incredibly sharp. I even bought a bushlore on the seconds rack from baroyonyx knives. I think it is that sometimes a bad or unsharpened one slips through the cracks.

Notredame11211
28-02-2012, 01:38 AM
I'd rather spend my money on a Mora...

rapidboy
28-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I don't know about the more recent versions but the knives we had for the BB passaround were little more than a couple of bits of wood pinned to a bit a steel and the corners knocked off.
("pinned" as in just pins, not riveted or bolted so they do come loose fairly easily)
Without work they are pretty much useless.
You can buy a lot better for the money, (and use them straight away), with a little work you could improve the condors but that same amount of work on a different blade would result in a much better knife.
Given that Joezilla had been good enough to send them for passaround on BB I tried to review them as fairly as i could but really they are just crap.:ashamed:

luresalive
28-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't know about the more recent versions but the knives we had for the BB passaround were little more than a couple of bits of wood pinned to a bit a steel and the corners knocked off.
("pinned" as in just pins, not riveted or bolted so they do come loose fairly easily)
Without work they are pretty much useless.
You can buy a lot better for the money, (and use them straight away), with a little work you could improve the condors but that same amount of work on a different blade would result in a much better knife.
Given that Joezilla had been good enough to send them for passaround on BB I tried to review them as fairly as i could but really they are just crap.:ashamed:

I was part of that passaround and to be honest thats a pretty fair assumption of what I thought too.

micky c
10-03-2012, 09:58 PM
hi all, i'v got a condor bushlore and i think its great, its razor sharp now i'v had it on the DC4 but it didnt take long to get it there, i got mine about the end of january and have been rubbin boiled linseed oil into the scales and now its starting to get a bit of a shine to it, i have to say i cant speak highly enough of this knife and it is more than capable of all you would expect from your camp fire and bushcraft needs,would i buy another one,yes,and i think i'll have the micarta next,

Tony1948
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
:welcome:TO the forum micky c,..........DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS.................TONT:happy-clapping:

El
19-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys, I was on the verge of buying a bushlore despite the fact the price seems to have jumped up a few quid in the last month,but I am hearing more and more how hard they are to sharpen...gonna give it a miss.

Amazed
20-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I have retailed these knives and can say that at best they are a project knife. Fit and finish is hit and miss. The wood handles are VERY rough and the blade is, well dull. I have had extreme difficulty in sharping the blade. The best results were obtained by using 220gr sandpaper and a mouse pad using a stropping motion for the convex edge. Some folks have had good results by re-grinding the blade to a true 0 scandi edge, but only attempt it if you have patience with a good file or are skilled with a belt sander/grinder.
I can say the best part of this knife is the sheath! Good quality leather with a welt and strong lacing. It's worth better than half the retail price by itself.

chris grace
04-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Another ressurection sorry.
I was given one of these knives recently and decided to see what could be done with it.
I have put a full convex edge onto the blade and continued the grind almost right back to the handle leaving a tiny ricasso.I've just come down from the shed so haven't had chance to use or take pictures yet.
I'll give it some work tomorrow and put up a couple of pictures.

ADz
04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
And another resurrection....

Has anybody purchased one of these in last 6 months? As mentioned earlier the original design had flaws which apparently have now been addressed. I purchased one recently (Should have it tomorrow) as I have heard some great reviews on it and at this price its worth the punt considering how much similar looking knifes go for.

Any newer opinions?

Richie
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Bought mine about 14 months ago so the answer is No.
That said, Dave Budd re-profiled mine at the Rv and it now sharpens a lot easier.
I did a lot of work on the handle with a dozen coats of Tung oil to get it nice.

Let us know how you get on with yours.

ADz
04-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Bought mine about 14 months ago so the answer is No.
That said, Dave Budd re-profiled mine at the Rv and it now sharpens a lot easier.
I did a lot of work on the handle with a dozen coats of Tung oil to get it nice.

Let us know how you get on with yours.

Thnx, will do :)

Phil_R
10-07-2013, 11:42 PM
And another resurrection...

Has anybody purchased one of these in last 6 months? Any newer opinions?
I have a pair of Condor Bushlore knives, dated 2013... both arrived serviceably sharp, with reasonable fit and finish. (Condor Greenland pattern axe as well, also reasonably sharp.)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9336&d=1373493887

shepherd
11-07-2013, 08:45 AM
nice kit phil T^

SteveW
15-09-2013, 03:10 PM
I have just picked up a 2013 model and am very happy with it so far. It's not perfect, but for about £30.00 you have to expect some corners to be cut during the manufacture. If you get one expecting a high end semi custom knife you will probably be disappointed, but if you take it for what it is, a carbon steel, full tang, wood handle knife with a leather sheath, then you cant go far wrong. I will have to use it for a while before I can be certain, but so far so good and I'm already thinking of getting a mini as a neck knife, so the feeling is good at the moment.

OakAshandThorn
15-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a pair of Condor Bushlore knives, dated 2013... both arrived serviceably sharp, with reasonable fit and finish. (Condor Greenland pattern axe as well, also reasonably sharp.)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9336&d=1373493887
How's the Greenland axe holding up for you? I've heard mixed reviews on it - some say it's a workhorse, while others conclude that it has too soft a steel.

Phil_R
15-09-2013, 07:40 PM
How's the Greenland axe holding up for you? I've heard mixed reviews on it - some say it's a workhorse, while others conclude that it has too soft a steel.
I have no complaints about or problems with the Greenland axe. (Wouldn't mind a bit longer handle... ) My primary use is splitting dry wood, mostly red or white oak (very hard when dry), with occasional cutting of green limbs. I don't make a habit of chopping dry oak... that's why I have a saw. (I use my Greenland axe much the same as a tomahawk.) I don't doubt that some encounter the occasional soft axe, I've seen the edge roll on expensive axes. If the edge rolls, exchange the axe.

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9837&d=1376664292

shepherd
16-09-2013, 08:14 AM
love the nussmuck style blade there phil

OakAshandThorn
16-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I have no complaints about or problems with the Greenland axe. (Wouldn't mind a bit longer handle... ) My primary use is splitting dry wood, mostly red or white oak (very hard when dry), with occasional cutting of green limbs. I don't make a habit of chopping dry oak... that's why I have a saw. (I use my Greenland axe much the same as a tomahawk.) I don't doubt that some encounter the occasional soft axe, I've seen the edge roll on expensive axes. If the edge rolls, exchange the axe.
Good to know...now I wonder what the folks who claimed the steel was too soft were chopping ;). I also heard of these complaints about a year ago, so if this was a widespread problem, I'm sure Condor would've fixed it by now.

Phil_R
16-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Condor have "tightened" their quality control in the past year, fit and finish is noticeably better. Always a chance of a bad "temper" slipping through quality control. A fine edge intended for chopping soft green woods can/will roll when chopping hard dry wood, even with a proper temper. I've rolled an edge or two myself, axes and knives, often due to a soft edge, but their has been an occasional wrong edge for the task.