PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Biltong and Jerky

Fletching
23-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi guys/girls,

I lived out in Seth Efrica for quite a few years and know the merits of biltong (eat it plain, grate it into mash, stew it, mix with lard and dried fruit for pemmican, etc, etc), and I've come across a few ways of making your own (without a dehydrator) as they're both really expensive in the UK.

Biltong:
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.BILTONG.HTML

Jerky:
http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/s/articles/jerky1.htm

There's hundreds of recipes out there, but these seem to be the business - the closest recipe for 'proper' biltong here - just add a tiny bit of cumin for the mythical 'secret' recipe ;)

So far, I've made the jerky using just topside, coarse black pepper, garlic powder, veg. salt and soya sauce (no liquid smoke etc), and I'm really impressed with it (and a fraction of the cost of buying it over the counter). :)

The biltong's still hanging, so I'll let you know how that tastes when it's ready (I always prefer biltong to jerky).

Steve

MikeWilkinson
24-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for those,

I'm a huge fan of biltong and jerky and although I've dabbled in making in it, I could never get it quite right. Will give these ago, I'm also considering getting a dehydrator so shall try it with that too in the new year.

Roadkillphil
26-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Cheers for the links, I'm about to start slicing some beef to try the jerky recipe.... should be ready friday, cant wait to test drive it :)

Realbark
26-01-2011, 07:38 PM
The jerky is very good - ive used his recipe before. Love it, tho i must admit i have NEVER tried Biltong. My only adaption is to use White Pepper, not seasoned or black.

JEEP
26-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Mmmmm..... Jerky.....

I have got to try this.

Realbark
26-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Easy to do Jeep - and much better than the commercial muck in supermarkets etc. You wont go back!

luresalive
26-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Love the stuff!

Roadkillphil
26-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Just took me ten minutes to prep, it really is no effort. Just hope it turns out ok, if it does, I'll never pay for it agin.

I've tried biltong once, I had a SAfa mate who came back from leave with a stash of sun dried ostritch biltong. It was lush :)

greenpete
26-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I used to live in S.A. too and loved the many variations of biltong and really miss it.
Thanks for the links, will have to have a go when the deer meat starts coming in off the farm again.

Realbark
27-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Just took me ten minutes to prep, it really is no effort. Just hope it turns out ok, if it does, I'll never pay for it agin.

I've tried biltong once, I had a SAfa mate who came back from leave with a stash of sun dried ostritch biltong. It was lush :)

How did you get on?

Mang
27-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Good timing as I'm seriously pondering trying to make a Jerky drier on a Bushcraft base I organise at an Explorer camp called Gilwell24 in July. I was going to make a pyramid and loosely cover the top bit with foliage and dry some during the day with a few embers underneath.

Roadkillphil
27-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I've left it in the fridge since last night soaking up the marinade, its going in the oven tonight, so be ready by morn.
I used pepper, garlic and a dash of cayenne to season and just soy sauce for the marinade... it smells loosh :cool:
Will update tomorrow, once I've tried some

Realbark
27-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Ive got an experimental batch marinading now for drying tommorow - using Chinese 5 spice powder, white pepper and salt - not tried before so i will let you all know how i got on. The marinade is dark soy sauce and liquid smoke for half of it and Jack Daniels BBQ sauce watered down for the other half.

Aaron Rushton
27-01-2011, 07:48 PM
mmmm looks nice. i wonder how easy this would be with rabbit?

Roadkillphil
28-01-2011, 10:13 AM
WhooHoo!! :happy-clapping: Success... ish! I've tried some, and it kicks ass. I'll await others opinion B4 I brag to much.

The only thing is, is that some of the thicker (1cm) pieces still appear raw in the middle, now I've tried some of these bits too and they seem a bit chewy, but ok. Not sure if this is ok or no, opinions welcome. I think the next batch I'm gonna slice thinner. But other than that, I'm well chuffed.

I'd like to try different meats, seasoning and methods though. This is gearing towards me hunting and processing the kill outdoors.

Realbark
29-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Roadkillphil - you need to dehydrate it for longer mate. It should not be raw in the middle. Better overdried than under. The Chinese 5 spice batch came out excellent so im well pleased, but the jd marinade was untasteable against soy sauce as a marinade. My only concern is the length of drying time vs costs of keeping the oven on - im going to look at a dehydrator. I would think the power consumption is a lot less? Advice? Thanks. I only do one 2lb batch a month generally.

Roadkillphil
29-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Realbark - I left the under dried pieces in for a couple more hours and all good. ;)
Is the JD sauce actual JD, as in the drink? I'm a big fan of Rum see, so I'd like maybe to incorporate that into the mix! :wink:
I see where ye coming from with the oven thing. Also not overly keen on leaving the oven on overnight. I too would appreciate any advice on dehydraters.

Mang
29-01-2011, 09:27 PM
There was a build your own article in Bushcraft & Survival skiulls magazine some time back *Excuse found to have a browse for the exact issue*.

Realbark
30-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Realbark - I left the under dried pieces in for a couple more hours and all good. ;)
Is the JD sauce actual JD, as in the drink? I'm a big fan of Rum see, so I'd like maybe to incorporate that into the mix! :wink:
I see where ye coming from with the oven thing. Also not overly keen on leaving the oven on overnight. I too would appreciate any advice on dehydraters.

The JD was a shop bought "JD barbecue sauce" so hardly any in it! However your idea of making a proper spirit sauce has got to be worth an experiment. If you do have a go let us know how you got on. Failing that i will have a bash when i do next months batch.

Fletching
30-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Also not overly keen on leaving the oven on overnight. I too would appreciate any advice on dehydraters.

Oven's much better than dehydrator for jerky IMHO. If you leave the oven on its lowest setting and leave the oven door hinged slightly open, you shouldn't have a problem with burning or gas build up. If you want to use a spirit - like dark rum - stick it in a saucepan with a little water and some sugar and reduce on a low heat until it becomes thick and sticky.

Matt
30-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey Phil,

A big thumbs up from all who tried youy jerky, thanks again mate.

Matt

Martin
30-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey Phil,

A big thumbs up from all who tried youy jerky, thanks again mate.

Matt

Agreed!!! It was hansome. :)

Martin

Fletching
30-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Mine tasted good too.

Martin
30-01-2011, 01:38 PM
:(

Hey Steve, why the sad face? How's the back and how did the operation go?

Martin

Roadkillphil
30-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Thankyou gennelmen :D

Also, thanks Martin for the tip Re the Rum . Gonna start hexperimentin ;)

Roadkillphil
30-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Mine tasted good too.

Hey there Steve, was that the biltong or the jerky?

mahikan
30-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Each year after our hopefully successful hunting season we are left with a large amount of meat that needs to be turned into sausage, pemmican or plain old Jerky. We use the oven, freezer, food dehydrator, and food smoking cabinet its all going at the same time so it can get 'somewhat' manic in our house during this period.

One way to ensure that when I cut the meat it slices thinly is to cut it when it is semi - frozen, that is to say when the knife you are using can just slice the meat without you using to much effort. My favourite knife for this is an 'Ulu', once you get used to the round blade it is surprising how quickly you can process meat.

Fletching
30-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Hey Steve, why the sad face? How's the back and how did the operation go?

Martin

Back's full of stitches and heads full of drugs but, apart from that, op's a success so far (can't feel neuropathic pain in leg). Have to wait too see about back pain as can't differentiate between stitches and back pain yet.

Fletching
30-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey there Steve, was that the biltong or the jerky?

Both! Biltong was a bit messy but I'll be having another go soon. :)

Ivan
30-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi phil im abit of a fan of jerrky, but after tasting yours its gunna be hard the next time i am in the supermarket ,askin for roadkillphils hot pepper proper jerky and gettin blank looks from old happy to help, hats off mate. hope you can come and sample my place soon

Martin
30-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Back's full of stitches and heads full of drugs but, apart from that, op's a success so far (can't feel neuropathic pain in leg). Have to wait too see about back pain as can't differentiate between stitches and back pain yet.

Chin up then old chap. Sounds great that the op has been a success. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you're out getting all that new kit dirty. :)

Martin

Fletching
30-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Chin up then old chap. Sounds great that the op has been a success. Hopefully, it won't be too long before you're out getting all that new kit dirty. :)

Martin

Can't bl**dy wait! On the upside, I've had lots of practise to find the perfect packing methods!

Roadkillphil
10-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi phil im abit of a fan of jerrky, but after tasting yours its gunna be hard the next time i am in the supermarket ,askin for roadkillphils hot pepper proper jerky and gettin blank looks from old happy to help, hats off mate. hope you can come and sample my place soon

Thankyou for the compliments :D

Ive just prepped 2 more batches, one the same as last time and the other with rum added to the mix. :happy-clapping: Can't wait to taste it.

Ivan, I travel all over the SW with work and regularly travel the A38, I'll be up that way in the next week or two. If you'd like me to drop some in, a detour is totally cool for me. Any excuse for me to drive off the beaten track, onto the moors and away from the rat race!

Once again, thanks to all for your encouragement and advice :D

Ivan
11-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi Phil, yeah more than welcome come on up for a gad about , whenever, i am usually around . Martin has my number and his own secret agent directions . That man has a built in satellite, be good to meet you ,cheers Ivan

Fletching
14-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I just made another batch of jerky, this time with crushed corriander seeds, terriyake marinade and lots of cracked pepper. Nice 'lemony' taste to the meat with the corriander (cilantro for our over the pond friends!).

Steve