PDA

View Full Version : Wild Britain with Ray Mears

Martin
09-11-2010, 10:14 AM
This must have been the most poorly trailed show in history. I have checked the ITV website to find that the last programme in the series was shown last night, 8th November.

For those who subscribe to Sky tv, it will be shown as 1 hr programmes on a channel called Eden, sometime during 2011.

Disappointing that this was so poorly advertised as it would appear that this is a return to the type of shows I think show Ray Mears talents off to the best.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
09-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Its a nice wild-life orientated series, I haven't seen them all yet but I had my media-center record them all, I can do you a copy of the series on disc if you'd like Martin?

Martin
09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Its a nice wild-life orientated series, I haven't seen them all yet but I had my media-center record them all, I can do you a copy of the series on disc if you'd like Martin?

Errr, go on then. I'll swap you for the video's I burned off from our Dartmoor 10 item challenge today. :)

Martin
:campfire:

OKBushcraft
23-11-2010, 02:46 AM
I wish we had more Ray on this side of the Atlantic, got to watch choppy episodes on Youtube-better than nothing though!

C. Lupus
23-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I, too, wish we got more of Ray over here. OKBushcraft, you can go to Veoh.com, type in Ray Mears, and watch a lot of his older stuff. ITV won't let us over here watch anything on their website. Go figure that one out.

luresalive
25-11-2010, 06:09 PM
To be honest as much as I love Ray, this type of show has all been done before, and better, by other presenters..the series is not giving us anything new at all..I thik we need a new Bushcraft King as the original has gone astray..

Bambii
25-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Maybe one of use could become the next bushcraft king?

luresalive
25-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Maybe one of use could become the next bushcraft king?

Well, the post is vacant and Dave Canterbury got propelled to stardom all on the back of his you tube videos, so who knows who will soon be seated upon the vacant throne of the bushcraft kingdom!

TedPalmer
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
anyone have any ideas on how I could see this in the USA? I searched you tube but only found an 18 second introduction.
all help and information is appreciated!!
be safe... Ted

swkieran
09-01-2011, 08:11 PM
try you tube ted :),as much as i love the wild britain series,there not as good as the others hes done the ones were he goes off to meet with other nomadic people etc,its like alot of things thou hes proberly made loads of money out out of all his shows but with that also comes celebrity status i mean good luck to him but hes also lost the of what the meaning of bushcraft is.PLEASE RAY DONT STOOP SO LOW AND UP IN IM A CELEBRITY GET ME OUT OF HERE (JUNGLE) LOL

TedPalmer
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I have searched YouTube for wild Britain with Ray Mears and not found any episodes except for an 18 second intro...

any other sources?
thanks, Ted

comanighttrain
10-01-2011, 11:11 AM
this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxG_84TU17Y

TedPalmer
10-01-2011, 02:33 PM
sorry, that's the wild foods series. not the new one, wild Britain.
be safe... Ted

jbrown14
10-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Ted, Ray's new series is not available in the US right now. Believe me, I've looked. You can catch some of his stuff through You Tube, there are a couple on Vimeo, and none on Hulu.

TedPalmer
10-01-2011, 06:29 PM
thanks jbrown! I have come to the same conclusion

comanighttrain
10-01-2011, 08:23 PM
sorry, that's the wild foods series. not the new one, wild Britain.
be safe... Ted

ahhhh sorry dude

TedPalmer
10-01-2011, 11:07 PM
thanks for trying

Mang
04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Ray was on the Beeb this morning and the Eden is now starting to show this series as an extended one hour programme throughout today. I also noticed that his Canadian series is being repeated too.

Humakt
15-11-2011, 10:57 AM
I must confess to not being the biggest Ray fan.
I do admire and respect him, but I find his 'in front of the camera' style, well...boring.
But that doesn't detract from his skill, knowledge and ability. Certainly not criticising that.
With the exception of his orginal Bushcraft TV series and Wild Food, I have found all his TV series to be dull. The 'World of Survival' and 'Extreme Survival' are just not my thing. And I am unutterably bored of hearing about Australian aborigines and African tribes - two of Ray's pet favourites.
However.
I have found the Wild Britain series to be truly inspiring. I have watched each episode so far and come away feeling excited and eager to get out there and looking at the wildlife we have.
The only criticism is that it's half hour long. ITV clearly think their viewers are incapable of holding a train of thought and remaining interested. And, judging by their usual output, they may well be right. (A friend of mine, who is a psychiatric nurse, says the TVs in their common rooms are kept locked on ITV because the output is so anodyne and unstimulating it keeps the residents sedate)
The episodes really need an hour, and no adverts. Keeping in mind opening credits, end credits and ad break, you barely have a 20 minute programme.
And I don't have Sky etc, so can't get Eden (though experience has shown that most of the satellite channels hidden in the depths of satellite channels tend to have ad breaks every ten minutes, and quite long and hefty ones at that.
Wild Britain, is potentially Ray's best series. For me. Just wish it was on for an hour and on BBC2. These two things let it down. But it's still the best thing on TV at the minute (that and University Challenge) and I come away from each episode with loads of enthusiasm and, because it's on a Friday night, determined to spend my weekend out.
It gets the Freetime Thumbs Up from me. Bugger it, I'm feeling silly - it gets TWO Freetime Thumbs Ups!

Urban Ninja
15-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I like the fact that in all the different survival shows everyones individual style shines through.
Ray's got this real casual attitude everything, and whenever he cooks it'll be a slap-up with pan bread and everything.
Bear seems to be always on a hype running round like a mad one stuffing bugs and crawlies down his guilty with indiscriminate abandon. Still go to know what's edible when TSHTF.

LandRoverMatt
15-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Yep I only knew about the new Ray Mears wild Britain was on when there was an advert uploaded from one of the people I have subscribed to on youtube, no adverts on sky :(

rich290185
15-11-2011, 06:34 PM
its on ITV player i have been watchin it on there T^

rich290185
15-11-2011, 06:39 PM
just looked only 4 eps left oldest for 5 days http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=285744

Oakenwise
27-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Ray Mears is a hero. So far I've watched series one of Wild Britain and Bushcraft, and I've seen a few episodes of Wild Food on Youtube. I'm going to start watching series one of Survival, too. Does anyone else think that the name for that series is a bit, well, misleading? It's more about survival in the animal kingdom than actually surviving as a human in rough terrain.

Is it true that Wild Britain series 2 isn't coming out on DVD? Why?

Oakenwise
27-08-2012, 11:50 AM
ITV clearly think their viewers are incapable of holding a train of thought and remaining interested. And, judging by their usual output, they may well be right. (A friend of mine, who is a psychiatric nurse, says the TVs in their common rooms are kept locked on ITV because the output is so anodyne and unstimulating it keeps the residents sedate)
The episodes really need an hour, and no adverts. Keeping in mind opening credits, end credits and ad break, you barely have a 20 minute programme.

I have the first series of Wild Britain on DVD. A lot was taken out when it aired on TV.

Edit: I must point out, by the way, that both Wild Britain and the older Bushcraft series are a bit...bugged. The quality of Bushcraft in particular is almost unwatchable on fullscreen and there is often problems with the screen, artifacts and whatnot. Anyone have any idea what's going on there?