PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Tinders

LSKnives
11-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Lately I've been feeling a little guilty about carrying a tin full of petroleum soaked cotton balls. I wonder if anyone has tried tapping a spruce tree for resin to mix with cattail fluff.

Any suggestions on the best premade tinder from natural sources? Maybe your own special mix of materials. :campfire:

FishyFolk
11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Lately I've been feeling a little guilty about carrying a tin full of petroleum soaked cotton balls. I wonder if anyone has tried tapping a spruce tree for resin to mix with cattail fluff.

Any suggestions on the best premade tinder from natural sources? Maybe your own special mix of materials. :campfire:

Let me know too, becouse I just payed 25 NOK (2.71£) for a tiny tin of petroleum jelly to test that out! I can buy a lot of matches for that....well, maybe I can use the tin for making charcloth...

And charcloth is one suggestion for you. Just find an old pair of jeans you have grown out of (i have plenty of those, blargh!) to make it from...
Then you have those birch fungi that will catch a spark well...that should be natural enough :-)

Martin
11-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I have been caught out a couple of times without any premade tinder and both times I've made use of what I had in my pockets. Once, I had a very handy tissue (Kleenex) which took a spark from my fire steel very easily, the second time, I had an old shop receipt in my pocket and with a bit of work shredding it up I eventually took a spark and I could get my brew on. As ever, the secret to fire lighting is preparation but sometimes you can make do with what you have in your pockets.

Martin

CanadianMike
11-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Actually, the way I see the preparation thing, is prepping whatever you are going to use to catch and hold a spark, even if it comes from your pocket....... and there is also belly button lint! :)

tonx
11-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I have plenty of home made tinder, I harvest it from the dryer filter!:D

paulthefish2009
11-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I've tried dryer fluff as well and I just couldn't get it to take at all. Must be to do with whats been dried i suppose and i guess we all dry diferrent things. Paul

LSKnives
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Right, yea Ive tried dryer fluff too without much luch. I would imagine it depends on what materials are in it.

luresalive
11-04-2012, 05:15 PM
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2617-What-did-I-use-to-start-this-fire&highlight=resin

LSKnives
11-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I had more in mind actually tapping a pine tree to have liquid resin to mix with cattail fluff and a cotton ball and petro jelly substitute.
http://www.wikihow.com/Tap-a-Pine-Tree

LSKnives
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Minus the makeing it into turpentine part of course.

Ben Casey
11-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Tampons are good but not homemade :)

AL...
11-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Because I do a fair bit of wood work I keep some shavings and put them into an egg carton (the carboard ones) then light a candle and pour the wax over the shavings always handy firelighters. ye just tear one off and use it as kindling It takes real well.

Cheers
AL