PDA

View Full Version : forestry commission bushcraft events

Aze
10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
HI Guys i just thought you might like to know that the forestry commission is doing some bushcraft events me and my son have just been to a day at sherwood pines for a tenner each and i know they plan a weekend in june for forty five a head which is a dam site cheaper then some places and great for newbies like me and my son as they start off nice and easy and are very famliy friendly.

any way guys thanks for this great site and maybe i see some of you on the 2nd June

Ben Casey
10-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi have you got a link or anything for where it might be advertised that would be cool? :)

andy202wr
12-04-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/WebPressReleases/918D33F63F5EC61D802578ED004F2005

Try the above.Looks like the dog dodas.

Ben Casey
12-04-2012, 05:22 PM
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/WebPressReleases/918D33F63F5EC61D802578ED004F2005
Try the above.Looks like the dog dodas.

Cheers I'm of there now :D

Ben Casey
12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Shame it is only a one nighter but in Sherwood so I will try and book it in the morning :)

Silverback
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Almost there with the permissions for Sherwood myself...just one gamekeeper to impress and we are on :)

Ben Casey
12-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I will have to try it another time as Ken pointed out to me it is on at the same time as the Wilderness Gathering and I'm hoping to get there to meet up with him and anyone else who goes.

luresalive
12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Looks interesting

Karina Thornton
19-04-2012, 07:19 AM
HI Guys i just thought you might like to know that the forestry commission is doing some bushcraft events me and my son have just been to a day at sherwood pines for a tenner each and i know they plan a weekend in june for forty five a head which is a dam site cheaper then some places and great for newbies like me and my son as they start off nice and easy and are very famliy friendly.

any way guys thanks for this great site and maybe i see some of you on the 2nd June

Hi there everyone.

I'm the ranger at Sherwood Pines who runs the Sherwood Bushcraft programme. Aze - I'm glad you and your son had a good time.

Just so you all know I have just planned the next lot of family events and they should be appearing on the website soon at http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/forestry.nsf/byunique/INFD-7T6GDQ - we have a few more day long events and one overnight for families. If these fill up I will look to running some more.

I'm also hoping to run an adult only overnight event as a skills sharing session - is this the sort of thing anyone would be interested in? If so let me know and I'll add you to the mailing list. You can email me directly at karina.thornton@forestry.gov.uk

You can also book bushcraft sessions for a private group - for more details have a look here http://www.forestry.gov.uk/sherwood-bushcraft

Hope to see some of you in the future,

Regards,
Karina

Ben Casey
19-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi Karina it is great to read this thread I would be very interested in upcoming events and I will P.M you my email addy if thats okay :) Do you know if the other parts of the country are going to do something like this or is it up to each ranger to plan events in the forests taht they look after?

Anyway like I say I would be interested in any information and if possible how I could get my local commision to run something like this :)

Ben

Kernowek Scouser
19-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Karina I'd definitely be interested in more info on the events you organise and like Ben, would appreciate any info, or nudges toward other rangers who may have info, about forestry events in other areas. I'll PM you my email address.

Oh and Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Martin
19-04-2012, 10:29 PM
These 'courses' aren't cheap though, are they?

Martin

Basha72
19-04-2012, 10:43 PM
These 'courses' aren't cheap though, are they?

Martin

Yep just had a look and fair to say it's not something I would pay that much for !

Martin
19-04-2012, 10:47 PM
I was very enthusiastic about Karina's post when I read it this morning but when I looked at the web site and saw the prices quoted I was very surprised. Looks like it may be attractive to some with very deep pockets but too rich for me I'm afraid. :(

Martin

Karina Thornton
20-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi there,

Just thought I should point out that the prices on the web page for a private booking are for a group of up to 15 people - I realise now that this isn't that clear. Sorry about that. £195 for a day of activities split between 15 people is £13 each for a day - hopefully affordable for lots of people.

Our public events are £12.50 for a day event or £45 for an overnight stay - this includes dinner and breakfast.

Thanks for pointing out that it isn't that clear - I'll get it sorted ASAP.

Cheers,

Karina

Martin
20-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi there,

Just thought I should point out that the prices on the web page for a private booking are for a group of up to 15 people - I realise now that this isn't that clear. Sorry about that. £195 for a day of activities split between 15 people is £13 each for a day - hopefully affordable for lots of people.

Our public events are £12.50 for a day event or £45 for an overnight stay - this includes dinner and breakfast.

Thanks for pointing out that it isn't that clear - I'll get it sorted ASAP.

Cheers,

Karina

That's far clearer Karina, thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if there could be any discount for Natural Bushcraft members??

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
20-04-2012, 09:19 AM
That's far clearer Karina, thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if there could be any discount for Natural Bushcraft members??

Martin Cheeky, but I like your thinking :happy-clapping:

AL...
20-04-2012, 09:27 AM
LOL Never know unless you ask :D

Cheers
AL

Martin
20-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm sure that something can be done for NBC members. After all, there are 1,000s of us out there with a passion for woodland in general and bushcraft in particular. Or, should that be the other way round?

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
20-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Putting my serious hat on for a moment, and putting aside any potential discounting; this could be an excellent opportunity for folks who enjoy the outdoors, to nurture a good relationship with people who work for an organisation that manages a lot of outdoor spaces. And a positive relationship between us, may have a positive baring on any future discussions regarding access to land for responsible wild camping.

Or not.

Discounts are always good :D

Basha72
20-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Martin

Yep that's a lot clearer lol at that price then you should be flooded,

Dave

AL...
20-04-2012, 02:15 PM
That does sound kinda good :)

Cheers
AL

alvino78
20-04-2012, 03:40 PM
teaching responsible methods whilst having a great time is awesome but £45 for a night is perhaps going against the grain of the freedom we feel when out, i sincerley hope this suceeds and is good advertisment for our "style" of enjoyment and relaxation,embedding responsible attitudes and actions for newbies and old hands alike! ps...:camping: for that money lenny henry will put you up lol

jus_young
20-04-2012, 09:56 PM
That is not bad at all price wise when you consider food is thrown in aswell. Shame that there are not some of these activities a bit more local than a few hours drive away though.

Ben Casey
28-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I sent my local foerst a email asking if they ran anything like overnights and stuff but all I got in reply was an out of office since then nothing so I wont bother with my local forest :( But I will try and get down to these events it just means a long drive for me but any income or help I could have been to my local forest goes to another one :) I sometimes wonder why I bother to try up here inthe North East I'm not slatting the whole of the forestry commision but just think how we could help out even in little ways :)
My local forest is http://www.forestry.gov.uk/hamsterleyforest so if anyone has contact with them you could tell them I would be interested in a meet :) I'm not even going to try and phone them :(

Kernowek Scouser
28-04-2012, 12:12 PM
If you are ever bimbling about in the forest and happen to see a ranger, might be an idea to speak to them directly?

Ben Casey
28-04-2012, 02:35 PM
I will do cheers :)