PDA

View Full Version : Buch Tucker Man

LSKnives
07-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Anyone else grow up watching Les Hiddins? He always seemed to have the best job cataloqing wild foods just bumming around with low tech gear and permission to go anywere. And there all on youtube.

m0txr
07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
It was brilliant yes, he must be getting on a bit now. I believe he still going strong though. :camping:

Tony1948
07-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Ya I did and I'm getting on as well Lol.:happy-clapping:

LSKnives
07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Yea I forget how old he is now. He did a few shows recently with Ray Mears. Still looks almost the same though. That must have been 20 years before the whole bushcraft craze was even known in North America. I wish he would start doing shows again.

AdrianRose
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
I remember Les really well. There was a similar show called "The Barefoot Bushman" too if anyone remembers it.

Ade.

LSKnives
07-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Is that with Les too? I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

AdrianRose
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
No it wasnt Les. It was a fella called Rob Bredl.

An aboriginal guy who did a series all about Australia and wild foods.

Ade

CanadianMike
07-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Cool show, but what's with his hat?! Rather like a Mexican fedora had sex with Robin Hood's hat and Les Hiddins hat came out not long later.....

Bambii
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Cool show, but what's with his hat?! Rather like a Mexican fedora had sex with Robin Hood's hat and Les Hiddins hat came out not long later.....

I searched him just to see that hat.

That has to be the most ridiculous looking hat i've ever seen :D

CanadianMike
08-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Good, I'm not the only one! Lol

bigzee
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
I searched him just to see that hat.

That has to be the most ridiculous looking hat i've ever seen :D
Ridiculous, yet practical when wandering round in theblazing hot outback.

I remember that show being on in the 1990s on a Sunday morning, and used to video it - so I could go out bike riding while it was on.

There were some pretty cool tips on that programme. One I remember was where he wrapped a eucalyptus tree branch up in a huge polythene bag, then returned later to drain the condensation out for drinking water. Also I remember him mending a damaged jerry can with some resin melted up with a bit of ash, and having a string of macadamia nut "candles" burning at his camp. He'd usually end up with a pretty comfy looking camp by the time he'd finished.

Top tips, top bloke!

KaiTheIronHound
08-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Les now runs a retreat for military veterans with PTSD and the like.

CanadianMike
08-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Last night I was watching the Ray Mears Walkabout videos he did with Les, quite funny and nice to watch. And yes, he has the same hat (but a new boat)!

LSKnives
08-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Goofy hat and short shorts but he pulled it off.

LSKnives
08-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Yea he used to be on here on Saturday mornings I think on the CBC. Was the only thing worth watching in those days. Its funny how things get repeated like him bagging up the tree for water and fixing his jerry can with resin. 20 years later Ray Mears did an episode with a transpiration bag and birch tar made into resin. That actually looked pretty cool. Might have to try it some weekend.

happybonzo
08-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Les Hiddens on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hiddins)

There is some story about the hat and it think that it came up on the programme that he did with RM. It's not as ,e,orable a story as the zoo keeper and the Tilley hat though

Metal mug
08-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Last night I was watching the Ray Mears Walkabout videos he did with Les, quite funny and nice to watch. And yes, he has the same hat (but a new boat)!I've Just been watching that episode this evening on BBC 4. That hat of his is the best thing humanity has ever produced. :)

CanadianMike
08-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Les Hiddens on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hiddins)

There is some story about the hat and it think that it came up on the programme that he did with RM. It's not as ,e,orable a story as the zoo keeper and the Tilley hat though

Agreed, having an elephant eat and poop the hat out three times, each time his trainer dug it out and washed it, brilliant legend! I'm on my second Tilley hat, a TH4 hemp one, love it, but isn't my only hat.

paulthefish2009
08-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey Mike, i got a tilley as well,had it for 5 years now and i cant wear the bugger out!! probally the most practical hat you can buy. Paul

CanadianMike
09-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Yup, they are tough and well made hats! I love their policy though, register it once you buy it, if/when you wear it out, return it to a store that sells Tilley hats, exchange it for a new one no charge. If you lose your hat, you get another one for half price. I returned my wore out one after about 4 years, and walked out with a brand new one.

paulthefish2009
09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Don't mean to be funny but how did you manage to wear it out? my one is a little stained around the edges and the brass is green but apart from that it is showing no signs of wear.

CanadianMike
09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I wore it a lot, washed semi-often, would stuff it in my bag when I took it somewhere, and used it a lot for afternoon naps/early morning sun blockage for my eyes. It's a hemp one, so I guess it's not as tough as the cotton one (less dense of a weave maybe?) and I got holes developing in parts of it that spread. Also the plastic piece that was in the edge of the brim poked through and caused that hole to spread as well during washing.

Maybe I took "Wash often" too literally? I would wash it every couple months, and leave to air dry, but don't know why it wore out. Not complaining though, got a new one free. :)