PDA

View Full Version : Vaseline Pot Stove

Humakt
04-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Saw on another forum a small meths stove made from a Vaseline pot.
So I thought I'd have a go.
It's simplicity itself - an empty Vaseline (or similar) pot, some loft insulation fibreglass, and mesh from a tea strainer.
Takes about 5 mins to boil a Crusader mug's worth of water and full up, it burns for about 10 minutes - enough to cook some noodles, fry an egg, heat up a frankfurter etc.

Hard to see how you could make a simple brew kit any smaller...

JEEP
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Very cool. I'll have to have a go at this.

happybonzo
05-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Very neat stove

Peaks
05-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi,
Using a coil or couple of turns of fibre-glass rope works well (stops loose insulation fibres escaping), and removes the need for the mesh cover.... The type of rope that is used for sealing doors on wood-burning domestic stoves.

Great little stoves - work well with any type of suitable tin. Crosman airgun pellet tins are really good as they have a screw lid, or a shoe polish tin is good too. All fit into the Crusader cooker base unit or hexy stove base.

jus_young
05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Oooh, something else to play with...

Dan XF
06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I used tin snips to make a hole in the centre of an old hexy stove so it would accept a metric tonne of trangia burner. Wish I'd seen this all those years back. I saw something similar done by some of those crab air chaps. Some sand in the bottom of a tin can, slots cut in the top and bottom with a tin opener and the drained fuel from a helo fuel tank poured into the sand. I cant remember how they lit it but once lit it smoked like a Rothmans beagle and we fled for safety. I'm just about to finish a polish tin up so might have to try this. Just waiting for the Honey Stove Polish Tin StoveCconverter Plate to come out now.