PDA

View Full Version : My dad's Swedish Mora knife from 1957

JEEP
08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
My dad's Swedish Mora knife from 1957

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Jakobeep/Knive/Mora_1957.jpg

This knife was gifted to my dad , by his father, on my dad's tenth birthday - in 1957

Having recently retired my dad has taken up bushcraft as a hobby, thus wishing to bring his trusty old knife out of retirement.
Unfortunally time has taken it's toll on this knife, leaving the blade loose in the handle and the scabbard missing quite a few stitches - but the blade is still sharp as ever.
I offered my dad to trade his old knife for a new one - and after some persuasion he, reluctantly, agreed to part with this his lifetime companion - trading it for a Karesuando Moose Special

Regards.

Jakob

Ashley Cawley
11-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I think this has got to be my favourite one out of all the knives you've shown us so far.

Not necessarily as detailed as some of the others, but I love it! The knife itself is basic, looks very functional & reliable. It's old and the patina on the sheath & handle just adds character :)

What is the blade length?

JEEP
12-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Naturally, being my fathers knife, it is my favourite aswell :)

The blade is 9,7 cm long, quite small for a Mora knife of that age, but compareable to what is available today.

Btw. my boss just gave me an old beat up rusty Mora (from around 1970 I beleive), it is huge compared to what you see today, I'll post pics. and specs. later.

Regards.

Jakob

bikebum1975
18-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Sweet old blade dig the sheath Mate. Treat it well.

JEEP
18-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Be assured that I will :D

Aaron Rushton
18-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Beaut! wow, i really like that sheath.

fatsnacka
18-11-2010, 10:18 PM
mora quality still looks good

JEEP
19-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Having used this knife a few times, just to test it, I must say that it out-performs any modern Mora I have ever tried. Maybe it's just because it is my dad's knife, making me enjoy using it more - or maybe the Mora steel really was better back in the days (i have heard people claim that before).

Regards.

Jakob

Kieran
19-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Having used this knife a few times, just to test it, I must say that it out-performs any modern Mora I have ever tried. Maybe it's just because it is my dad's knife, making me enjoy using it more - or maybe the Mora steel really was better back in the days (i have heard people claim that before).

Regards.

Jakob
Alot of things are "mass made" now, using cheaper metals, cheaper workers.
maybe they don't make to such a good standard any more.

C. Lupus
21-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Jeep:
It would be a great knife to fix the handle and have a new sheath made for, while saving the old one or repairing it. Then, gift it back to your dad to use until he no longer needs it, and then you'll have a great knife with a little more use from someone who I'm sure is a great man.
Just a thought.

JEEP
21-11-2010, 07:38 PM
The handle is not in very good shape, fixing it would probably mean replacing it.

Regards.

Jakob

JonnyP
21-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Very special knife.. Nice one..