PDA

View Full Version : The weather is out of control

treefrog
24-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Okay I really don't like talking-about-the-weather small talk, but this March has been ridiculous and I can't help but think there will be
a serious impact on the flora and fauna... we went from a 20 cm snowfall straight into summer; last weekend I was re-roofing our house
and I got a sun tan! Two days ago it was 25C and now the forecast calls for -10C Monday night. The trees have budded and the bulb flowers
are up and now comes a killer frost. Our cat who lives outdoors year-round is starting to shed his winter coat. Any biologist-types out there
who can assure me everything's cool and the world's not ending?

Terry
24-03-2012, 04:27 PM
I have at 40 foot of hedge that seems to be dying, when i asked why i was told by our garden man, its because of the 15 deg of frost we had and a lack of water. now we have a hosepipe ban. I may have to grub it out and fence it. This hedge has been there for sixty years and we will lose so much wildlife in it if we have to replace it.

Martin
24-03-2012, 04:41 PM
The world is not ending!!

The world has been around for many many millions of years, hasn't it? It's been through countless weather cycles which don't really follow any patterns. Just because the weather is not what we expect through our very limited experience, it doesn't mean it's unusual or damaging. Life is incredible tenacious and will survive so don't worry about it. In fact, if it wasn't for the changing weather, we English wouldn't have anything to talk to each other about at all. ;)

Martin

luresalive
24-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Perfectly natural course of events, 10,000 years ago we were in an ice age, then the earth heated up and it melted all by itself! extreme weather patterns are perfectly normal.

Roadkillphil
24-03-2012, 08:51 PM
We cannot control the weather, nor a great many things in our universe. As humanity has developed species-wide OCD over the past 12000 years, this lack of control is immensely frustrating. We in turn have reacted by creating illusions to shield us from the truth. Such illusions include the world trade market, modern social structure and of course, the weatherman. Oh, and McDonalds.... ;)

treefrog
25-03-2012, 12:08 AM
mmm...hamburgers.

CanadianMike
25-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Last week's warm spell was pretty much just a random Gulf stream warm air thing, happens once in a while. If you heard about all the record temps broken, many of them were breaking 50-70 year old records, so has happened before. Nutshell, don't worry, is all normal, over the course of a very long period of time that is. Not normal for the past few years, but doesn't seem like any new trend, just random repeats of old. I'm not complaining though, last weekend I got some body work done on my 4Runner, was planning to do more today but was too cool, windy and unpredictable as far as rain goes, so I just focused on a bit of knife work, some going through bins I have here in the garage for cleanup, use and storage, and a good hour with Martin who picked up his knife today.

Proventurer
26-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Perfectly natural course of events, 10,000 years ago we were in an ice age, then the earth heated up and it melted all by itself! extreme weather patterns are perfectly normal.

I believe Luresalive has hit the nail on the head!
Unruly weather patterns are in fact the norm over earth's history, the clement weather that man has enjoyed in our recent/recorded history that allow for hedges, gardens, etc to grow and establish, are in fact an anomaly in time, on a global basis.

BushcraftCambsUk
26-03-2012, 10:43 AM
in Earths history every 300000 years there have been world changing events for instance earthquakes and polar shifting that affect the weather as well. Currently we are about 50000 years over due one of these global events so not to sound all doom and gloom enjoy the sunshine while you can because we might all be dead tomorrow. Have a nice day lol.

BushcraftCambsUk
26-03-2012, 10:44 AM
We cannot control the weather, nor a great many things in our universe. As humanity has developed species-wide OCD over the past 12000 years, this lack of control is immensely frustrating. We in turn have reacted by creating illusions to shield us from the truth. Such illusions include the world trade market, modern social structure and of course, the weatherman. Oh, and McDonalds.... ;)

I couldnt agree more. Are you anonymous? lol

Metal mug
26-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Maybe the weather just hates the Met office and likes p***ing them off. :confused: